Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rivet gun

Does anyone know of a source for an air rivet hammer that only strikes one
blow per trigger pull? I have used some old ones and liked them better than
a standard chatter gun.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for an air rivet hammer that only strikes one
blow per trigger pull? I have used some old ones and liked them better than
a standard chatter gun.

Dunno if any current suppliers are making them, but you could check
with The Yard Aircraft Tools.

Google.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
Does anyone know of a source for an air rivet hammer that only strikes one
blow per trigger pull? I have used some old ones and liked them better than
a standard chatter gun.

A good rivet gun will be easy to control the hits and should have a
regulator on it to set the air flow going into the gun. Most of the
riveting I did was with a 4x gun. This is a little overkill for 3/32
rivets but I could set up to a 3/16 an470 with no problem. If you
don't hit the rivets hard enough they will get work hardened before they
are completely set which happens when you are using an undersized gun.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob in Phx wrote:

how can you tell if they work harden????

They will get hairline cracks in them and will not completely set.

bob in phx
"john" wrote in message

Stupendous Man wrote:
Does anyone know of a source for an air rivet hammer that only strikes
one blow per trigger pull? I have used some old ones and liked them
better than a standard chatter gun.

A good rivet gun will be easy to control the hits and should have a
regulator on it to set the air flow going into the gun. Most of the
riveting I did was with a 4x gun. This is a little overkill for 3/32
rivets but I could set up to a 3/16 an470 with no problem. If you don't
hit the rivets hard enough they will get work hardened before they are
completely set which happens when you are using an undersized gun.

John

They don't expand properly. The rivet should expand to 1.5 times the
stem diameter when it is properly set.

Here is a good site on rivets and riveting

http://www.rvproject.com/rivets.html

http://www.rvproject.com/MIL-R-47196A_MI.pdf

They don't say anything about 'happy rivets'

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob in Phx wrote:
how can you tell if they work harden????

They crumble or shear when they are struck.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 27, 11:20 pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
Does anyone know of a source for an air rivet hammer that only strikes one
blow per trigger pull? I have used some old ones and liked them better than
a standard chatter gun.
--
Stupendous Man,

welcome to visit our web site for the range of air hammer kit &
riveters.
http://www.dino-power.com/air_hammer_kit.html
http://www.dino-power.com/air_rivet_gun_riveter.html

looking for particular form of blind rivet _[_2_] Metalworking 5 October 17th 07 10:43 PM
rivet? AE Todd Home Repair 16 April 11th 07 02:31 AM
How to repair a pop-rivet puller Paul Metalworking 1 May 7th 06 04:17 AM
How can I rivet mallets ? ? ? Wild Bill Metalworking 9 November 22nd 04 03:00 AM
OT advice on air rivet gun wanted Craig Suslosky Metalworking 2 January 23rd 04 01:09 PM