Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default looking for particular form of blind rivet

Had to drill a bunch of these out to get the body panels off my car. The
look like a normal (large) pop-rivet on the outside, but on the inside the
cylinder split into 4 tongues that curled outwards. I suppose the idea is
to give a larger bearing surface on the blind side.

I'll need about 50 of 'em.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 16, 8:24 am, _
wrote:
Had to drill a bunch of these out to get the body panels off my car. The
look like a normal (large) pop-rivet on the outside, but on the inside the
cylinder split into 4 tongues that curled outwards. I suppose the idea is
to give a larger bearing surface on the blind side.

I'll need about 50 of 'em.

Hanson has "T rivets"
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w33.htm

and "Tri-rivets"
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w36.htm

Not sure those are generic names.

Or did you mean a drive rivet?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"_" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 05:40:34 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 16, 8:24 am, _
wrote:
Had to drill a bunch of these out to get the body panels off my car.

The
look like a normal (large) pop-rivet on the outside, but on the inside

the
cylinder split into 4 tongues that curled outwards. I suppose the idea

is
to give a larger bearing surface on the blind side.

I'll need about 50 of 'em.

Hanson has "T rivets"
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w33.htm

That's them.

and "Tri-rivets"
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w36.htm

Those look nicer.

Has anyone use these enough to recommend one variety over another?

The T rivets are used where you need maximum strength, the Tri rivets are
used in soft material like plastic to prevent pull through.

I have seen the T rivets used to hold window regulators in a car door, and
if I recall these were 1/4" diameter and you needed the pop rivet tool that
looks like a tree branch lopper to set them.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Mine were used to hold FRP panels together. I think I'll get 3/16 T ones,
and hope that my good but not tree-lopper-size rivet tool will work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

_ wrote:

snipped

I have seen the T rivets used to hold window regulators in a car door, and
if I recall these were 1/4" diameter and you needed the pop rivet tool that
looks like a tree branch lopper to set them.

Mine were used to hold FRP panels together. I think I'll get 3/16 T ones,
and hope that my good but not tree-lopper-size rivet tool will work.

If it doesn't, see if you can get ahold of one of these "lazy tongs"
style riveters:

http://tinyurl.com/36gqka

I had the opportunity to use one of those long ago and it was the cat's
pajamas for effortless pop rivet setting. Much easier than trying to
clench your hand on the levers of the more common pliers style tool.

Someday I'll get the time to sit down and figure out how they work. I've
got a feeling a little analysis will show it's the equivalent of a two
handled "branch lopper" type with handles equal to the combined length
of the lazy tongs links. (Or maybe it's half those links.)

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

rivet? AE Todd Home Repair 16 April 11th 07 02:31 AM
How to repair a pop-rivet puller Paul Metalworking 1 May 7th 06 04:17 AM
removing rivet from window frame J.Lef Home Repair 1 August 26th 05 01:58 AM
How can I rivet mallets ? ? ? Wild Bill Metalworking 9 November 22nd 04 03:00 AM
OT advice on air rivet gun wanted Craig Suslosky Metalworking 2 January 23rd 04 01:09 PM