Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ebait

what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you
cannot subsequently use those contact details...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 17:46, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you
cannot subsequently use those contact details...

That's good - it will stop the daily spam from some Ebay sellers

When I read the conditions my first thought was how is Ebay going to
know you are not buying/selling through their web site unless you are
stupid enough to use the Ebay contact service. Many Ebay sellers are
also on the Amazon marketplace and possibly a few other web selling
sites and have email addresses not connected with Ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 24/09/2017 17:46, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting
you cannot subsequently use those contact details...

That's good - it will stop the daily spam from some Ebay sellers

When I read the conditions my first thought was how is Ebay going to
know you are not buying/selling through their web site unless you are
stupid enough to use the Ebay contact service. Many Ebay sellers are
also on the Amazon marketplace and possibly a few other web selling
sites and have email addresses not connected with Ebay.

I received in VERY good time an item which I bought from Ebay. Free postage.
It was sent from Amazon Prime and delivered by a bloke with limited English
in a very small van. I don't use Amazon.
I questioned the seller about this as his business address is not too far
away. He told me that he uses the same warehouse as Amazon
I'm not a experienced Ebay buyer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 19:32, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I received in VERY good time an item which I bought from Ebay. Free postage.
It was sent from Amazon Prime and delivered by a bloke with limited English
in a very small van. I don't use Amazon.
I questioned the seller about this as his business address is not too far
away. He told me that he uses the same warehouse as Amazon
I'm not a experienced Ebay buyer.

If you buy from the Amazon market place (not Amazon but a third party
retailer) sometimes these retailers have their stock at Amazon
warehouses and the order is fulfilled by Amazon. I assume that the third
party retailer pays Amazon extra for this service. If this retailer also
advertises on Ebay, as many do, then it seems sensible to use whichever
delivery service is most convenient. I think most(all) Amazon
deliveries come with branded parcel tape advertising Amazon Prime.
Amazon sometimes delivers the next day even though you haven't signed up
to Prime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 17:46:58 UTC+1, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you
cannot subsequently use those contact details...

I don't think prevention of trade elsewhere is legal. Whether they can charge for trading offsite I'm not so clear.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 21:50:59 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/2017 20:45, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 17:46:58 UTC+1, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you
cannot subsequently use those contact details...

I don't think prevention of trade elsewhere is legal. Whether they can charge for trading offsite I'm not so clear.

I don't think they are trying to prevent trade elsewhere, only
completion of a trade that was started inside ebay, or the contact
between buyer and seller was initially brokered through ebay.

If having completed a trade through ebay, you gain the sellers contact
details and later approach them about a different trade without
reference to ebay, then there is nothing they can do about it, since the
seller will not have agreed to give ebay any exclusivity for all sales.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...ebay-sale.html
AIUI if you buy externally from a seller you met in ebay, ebay claim they can charge you commission & much more for that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 22:14, wrote:
[...]

I still read that as only applicable to a contact made initially through
ebay. Say you start to buy a widget, and it falls through, but then
later by an identical widget from the seller directly - then I can see
their point, although they will have a hard time identifying it.

However if you make a trade with a seller though ebay, and that is all
done and dusted - the seller got paid, ebay got their commission, and
you got your product, then later you buy something from amazon market
place, and it turns out to be the same seller, ebay are going to be on
very sketchy ground claiming they are owed commission on that sale.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 September 2017 01:57:40 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/2017 22:14, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Then we agree on interpretation. I don't agree that it's legal.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Not your '& much more' they dont.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 17:46:58 UTC+1, Chris BartramÂ* wrote:
[...]

I've had a few Ebay sellers offer a discount voucher for future orders
if done through their own web sites. I cannot see that if I choose to
bypass Ebay for a completely different transaction that Ebay have any
say in what I or the seller can do. Ebay are not just threatening to
change sellers commissions etc, but also to stop buyers using Ebay.

Perhaps Ebay should first get their own house in order and remove all
the Far East sellers who claim to be in the UK and a offer 1 to 3 day
delivery but the goods actually arrive on a slow boat from China weeks
later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 24/09/2017 17:46, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply contact
details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you cannot
subsequently use those contact details...

That's good - it will stop the daily spam from some Ebay sellers

When I read the conditions my first thought was how is Ebay going to know
you are not buying/selling through their web site unless you are stupid
enough to use the Ebay contact service. Many Ebay sellers are also on the
Amazon marketplace and possibly a few other web selling sites and have
email addresses not connected with Ebay.

and they appear on gumtree ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 17:46:58 UTC+1, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you
cannot subsequently use those contact details...

I don't think prevention of trade elsewhere is legal. Whether they can
charge for trading offsite I'm not so clear.

NT

charging for "introduction" of buyer to seller....basicly you have agreed to
let them take money from your accounts whenever they want ......try arguing
with them ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 14:14:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

After buying from Ledlam via Ebay, I had an e-mail to confirm the order and
an offer of 10% discount for buying direct from Ledlam.
Another interest was for curtains. Found something suitable, looked at the
seller's site and realised that it was in my home town. Popped into the
shop, placed an order and then collected it a few days later - beats waiting
in for it.
This was before the latest T&Cs, though, but in the latter example I'd noy
contacted the seller.
I suppose it'll get to the stage of Ebay getting stroppy if you've looked at
an item and then go to a local shop for it - they know where you are!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My problem wherever you buy these days is the lack of English of the
delivery people who stand at your door just silently. They are apparently
gestulating toward a parcel and a little box they want you to sign on. No
help to a blind bloke. You would think they had never actually encountered
one before. Blimey.
I now normally say when I open the door tell me what you want me to do as
I'm blind. Usually if its really for me a garbeled version of my name comes
over. If its a little box to sign on I normally try to touch it at which
point they go no touch just sign. I shrug and say I'm blind yet again and
normally they just thrust the parcel at me or more often dump it on the path
and push off muttering something in a foreign tongue!.
I used to think they were just ignorant bar stewards, but I now know they
have an impossible number of parcels to get through and the last thing they
want is an idiot who has the audacity not to be able to see!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
alan_m wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2017 22:14, wrote:
[...]

That's how I read it. So, recently, I bought a car part from ebay,
completed the sale through ebay, but the chap said that if there was
anything else I wanted from the same car he was breaking, we could deal
outside of ebay- this new agreemant, to me, suggests he could ghet
penalised for that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 September 2017 08:35:31 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 14:14:42 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

It means more sellers leaving ebay. I've said for a while someone needs to set up an alternative to ebay but do it better. Why no-one has yet I don't know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/17 08:42, Chris Bartram wrote:
So, recently, I bought a car part from ebay, completed the sale through
ebay, but the chap said that if there was anything else I wanted from
the same car he was breaking, we could deal outside of ebay- this new
agreemant, to me, suggests he could ghet penalised for that?

A friend used san 'online site' to get a locksmith, who aplogised and
said "next time phone me dierct and its 20% cheaper".

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

if you make a trade with a seller though ebay, and that is all
done and dusted - the seller got paid, ebay got their commission, and
you got your product, then later you buy something from amazon market
place, and it turns out to be the same seller, ebay are going to be on
very sketchy ground claiming they are owed commission on that sale.

Then we agree on interpretation. I don't agree that it's legal.

Sounds similar to an issue brought up on u.l.m recently.

An estate agent introduces tenant to landlord and gets paid their
commission, later (unexpectedly) the tenant offers to purchase the
property, estate agent then claims commission for the sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/09/2017 10:53, Andy Burns wrote:
NT wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

if you make a trade with a seller though ebay, and that is all
done and dusted - the seller got paid, ebay got their commission, and
you got your product, then later you buy something from amazon market
place, and it turns out to be the same seller, ebay are going to be on
very sketchy ground claiming they are owed commission on that sale.

Then we agree on interpretation. I don't agree that it's legal.

Sounds similar to an issue brought up on u.l.m recently.

An estate agent introduces tenant to landlord and gets paid their
commission, later (unexpectedly) the tenant offers to purchase the
property, estate agent then claims commission for the sale.

That case is still ongoing, but I'm hopeful we'll sort it out amicably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2017 12:27, GB wrote:
On 25/09/2017 11:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/09/2017 08:47, wrote:

It means more sellers leaving ebay. I've said for a while someone
needs to set up an alternative to ebay but do it better. Why no-one
has yet I don't know.

Because it would take *massive* amounts of start up capital to even
register on the radar.

Ebay's market capitalisation is $41 bn. A competitor could develop the
software and infrastructure for say $100m. That would make it worth a
competitor's while to spend say $20 bn to attract ebay's customers away.
You could do an awful lot of attracting with just $1 bn.

In practice, a competitor would probably go for a different business
model, so as not to compete head to head.

Indeed, they would probably find it hard raising any money in the first
place if the business model demanded taking on an entrenched player like
that.

There are already alternatives to ebay; etsy, ebid etc. How often do
you go to those for your first search?

Amazon marketplace is my preferred option for buying stuff. A different
business model, but highly successful.

Yup, I find myself using them for a reasonable amount of stuff that
previously would have been ebay.

....and being realisitc, its going to have to be a business with the
scale of Amazon to make serious inroads to ebay's market share.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

that's just luck though

mostly these sellers are in anonymous warehouses in places like Doncaster

fine if you live in Doncaster, but not much use for the rest of us

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 13:51:25 +0100, tim... wrote:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...ebay-sale.html
AIUI if you buy externally from a seller you met in ebay, ebay claim they
can charge you commission & much more for that.

NT

After buying from Ledlam via Ebay, I had an e-mail to confirm the order
and
an offer of 10% discount for buying direct from Ledlam.
Another interest was for curtains. Found something suitable, looked at the
seller's site and realised that it was in my home town.

that's just luck though

mostly these sellers are in anonymous warehouses in places like Doncaster

fine if you live in Doncaster, but not much use for the rest of us

Oh yes, I agree.
Another one was getting some multitool blades advertised as OK for nails
etc. The Bosch one had done about 8 nails then decided to quit. The new ones
- well! - one nail and done.
Did the return bit via email and discoversd that the place was about a mile
or so from the town centre, so got the OK to deliver by hand. Day after
dropping off the package I had the money credited.
It's the sort of place that I'd use again. Hole-in-the-wall on and
industrial estate and stacked with every tool I'd ever want.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. I was just confused about the Amazon packaging and yes, it
was branded parcel tape advertising Amazon Prime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
news
On 24/09/2017 22:14, wrote:
[...]

No real way for them to catch that without using secret buyers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

But where to they go ?

I've said for a while someone needs to set
up an alternative to ebay but do it better.

Easier said than done, particularly getting the sellers
and buyers to start using your new 'better' service.

Why no-one has yet I don't know.

Yes, you actually are that stupid.