Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default ebait

On 25/09/2017 12:27, GB wrote:
On 25/09/2017 11:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/09/2017 08:47, wrote:

It means more sellers leaving ebay. I've said for a while someone
needs to set up an alternative to ebay but do it better. Why no-one
has yet I don't know.

Because it would take *massive* amounts of start up capital to even
register on the radar.

Ebay's market capitalisation is $41 bn. A competitor could develop the
software and infrastructure for say $100m. That would make it worth a
competitor's while to spend say $20 bn to attract ebay's customers away.
You could do an awful lot of attracting with just $1 bn.

In practice, a competitor would probably go for a different business
model, so as not to compete head to head.

Indeed, they would probably find it hard raising any money in the first
place if the business model demanded taking on an entrenched player like
that.

There are already alternatives to ebay; etsy, ebid etc. How often do
you go to those for your first search?

Amazon marketplace is my preferred option for buying stuff. A different
business model, but highly successful.

Yup, I find myself using them for a reasonable amount of stuff that
previously would have been ebay.

....and being realisitc, its going to have to be a business with the
scale of Amazon to make serious inroads to ebay's market share.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |