Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default ebait

On 25/09/2017 01:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/2017 22:14, wrote:
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 21:50:59 UTC+1, John RummÂ* wrote:
On 24/09/2017 20:45, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 17:46:58 UTC+1, Chris BartramÂ* wrote:
On 24/09/17 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply
contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you
cannot subsequently use those contact details...

I don't think prevention of trade elsewhere is legal. Whether they
can charge for trading offsite I'm not so clear.

I don't think they are trying to prevent trade elsewhere, only
completion of a trade that was started inside ebay, or the contact
between buyer and seller was initially brokered through ebay.

If having completed a trade through ebay, you gain the sellers contact
details and later approach them about a different trade without
reference to ebay, then there is nothing they can do about it, since the
seller will not have agreed to give ebay any exclusivity for all sales.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...ebay-sale.html

AIUI if you buy externally from a seller you met in ebay, ebay claim
they can charge you commission & much more for that.

I still read that as only applicable to a contact made initially through
ebay. Say you start to buy a widget, and it falls through, but then
later by an identical widget from the seller directly - then I can see
their point, although they will have a hard time identifying it.

However if you make a trade with a seller though ebay, and that is all
done and dusted - the seller got paid, ebay got their commission, and
you got your product, then later you buy something from amazon market
place, and it turns out to be the same seller, ebay are going to be on
very sketchy ground claiming they are owed commission on that sale.

I've had a few Ebay sellers offer a discount voucher for future orders
if done through their own web sites. I cannot see that if I choose to
bypass Ebay for a completely different transaction that Ebay have any
say in what I or the seller can do. Ebay are not just threatening to
change sellers commissions etc, but also to stop buyers using Ebay.

Perhaps Ebay should first get their own house in order and remove all
the Far East sellers who claim to be in the UK and a offer 1 to 3 day
delivery but the goods actually arrive on a slow boat from China weeks
later.