Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable by the metre

Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

I don't think you can cut your own length any more, though they do have
some pre-cut shorter lengths of some types of cable (correspondingly
more expensive).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/08/2017 22:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Scott wrote:

Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

I don't think you can cut your own length any more, though they do have
some pre-cut shorter lengths of some types of cable (correspondingly
more expensive).

If not its usually available on ebay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Some wholesalers still cut cable - especially in the larger sizes.

With the likes of B&Q the premium they charge for small lenghts (usually
pre-cut lengths) means I'd rather buy a full reel of the common types.
It's doesn't have a use by date. ;-)

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 August 2017 22:35:24 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Wilko do, though the prices aren't great. What do you want?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:

Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

TLC and CPC will cut to length usually.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Some wholesalers still cut cable - especially in the larger sizes.

With the likes of B&Q the premium they charge for small lenghts (usually
pre-cut lengths) means I'd rather buy a full reel of the common types.
It's doesn't have a use by date. ;-)

no date - but I've various part drums of Red/black/earth

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Wilko, Dyas and Maplin all sell cable by the metre.
Plus many local independents.

B&Q sell packs of precut lengths down to 5 metres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 08:36:31 UTC+1, charles wrote:
no date - but I've various part drums of Red/black/earth

Getting sought-after, that is.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 08:36:31 UTC+1, charles wrote:
no date - but I've various part drums of Red/black/earth

Getting sought-after, that is.

Owain

indeed you can pre-date various now Part P items.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 00:07:24 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Some wholesalers still cut cable - especially in the larger sizes.

Maplins still do it by the metre 99p for 2 core 3 amp £1.39 for 3 core.

With the likes of B&Q the premium they charge for small lenghts (usually
pre-cut lengths) means I'd rather buy a full reel of the common types.
It's doesn't have a use by date. ;-)

But what if the regulations change, as you can't legally use your old black and red cable for new mains instalations can you ?

I know there's no use by date or best until but I wonder how long the the plastic they are using will last.

I have a reel or two of it here and I only allow it to be used for DC where we need to carry a bit more current than our maxium 3 amp cable we keep.
i.e I won't let students use it for 'simulating' a real world ring main as we do have projects that sometimes might benifit from such a display.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends very much on the cable I think, and probably the store and how much
they have!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Scott" wrote in message
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is that cos they don't trust the public with a pair of cutters?

Yes Yr Honour he attacked me with a pair of cable shears, very scared I was
yr honour.

Brian

--
----- -

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

I don't think you can cut your own length any more, though they do have
some pre-cut shorter lengths of some types of cable (correspondingly more
expensive).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 16:02:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is that cos they don't trust the public with a pair of cutters?

Yes Yr Honour he attacked me with a pair of cable shears, very scared I was
yr honour.

Could be people taking the cutters or cutting off more and not admiting it, or checkout havinging to measure it B&Q used to sell chains by the metre too.
I have to chain a pair of cutters up in the lab, they're just a few quid but when the keep walking off with tehm and another students walking around aimlessly trying to find them it's a pain especailly when I then have to track them down I've done the same with a pair of scissors.

I now have a rack with masking and cellotape and insulation tape on rods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But what if the regulations change, as you can't legally use your old
black and red cable for new mains instalations can you ?

How many buy cable by the metre for a new installation?

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But what if the regulations change, as you can't legally use your old
black and red cable for new mains instalations can you ?

How many buy cable by the metre for a new installation?

I think I did with cooker cable. I really didn't need 100m or forsee a use
for the extra 90 metres.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But what if the regulations change, as you can't legally use your old
black and red cable for new mains instalations can you ?

How many buy cable by the metre for a new installation?

I think I did with cooker cable. I really didn't need 100m or forsee a
use for the extra 90 metres.

Quite. But surely not the common sizes?

And if anyone is worried about using old colours to alter or repair a new
installation (or vice versa) I hope they are fanatical remainers. ;-)

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:01:23 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Depends very much on the cable I think, and probably the store and how much
they have!
Brian

The idea of 'upselling' to a whole reel would never cross their minds,
obviously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2017 13:54, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 08:36:31 UTC+1, charles wrote:
no date - but I've various part drums of Red/black/earth

Getting sought-after, that is.

Owain

indeed you can pre-date various now Part P items.

Why bother?

Brown/Blue was legit before part P, and Red Black after it. No one is
going to care in most cases...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 19:06:33 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
You can always use a bit of 2.5 mm2 t&e if available.

I know, but my concern is it would create an impression the work was
not done by a real electrician, which is not the result I am trying to
achieve.

Obviously a real diyer goes to the shop for 2 metres of shiny new cable.

A real electrician would chuck in a piece from the scrap bucket on the van.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 17:47:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But what if the regulations change, as you can't legally use your old
black and red cable for new mains instalations can you ?

How many buy cable by the metre for a new installation?

How many install new installations.
I can understand 11kv cable not being sold by the metre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 00:20:27 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

Isn't that because it's cheaper to make, and when cable was asked for I thought of cable rather than Twin & earth which is differnt to teh cort of cable you should be using for an extention lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 00:20:20 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

I wouldn't use rubber. It tends to perish after a few years and
become brittle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

I wouldn't use rubber. It tends to perish after a few years and
become brittle.

Odd then that most high quality power tools have rubber, rather than PVC,
flex?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 00:20:27 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

Isn't that because it's cheaper to make, and when cable was asked for I
thought of cable rather than Twin & earth which is differnt to teh cort
of cable you should be using for an extention lead.

Although both are cables, most would call the sort used for an extension
lead flex.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Some wholesalers still cut cable - especially in the larger sizes.

Be careful if you buy a long length and actually need a long length.
I bought 15m of 16mm singles because I needed 15m of 16mm singles,
and just managed to stop the desk clark from folding it up into
"convenient" 100cm lengths.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 23:43:03 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 00:20:27 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

Isn't that because it's cheaper to make, and when cable was asked for I
thought of cable rather than Twin & earth which is differnt to teh cort
of cable you should be using for an extention lead.

Although both are cables, most would call the sort used for an extension
lead flex.

Except most don't bother, but this might depend on culture or country, studetns find this sort of thing difficult the differtn between flex, wire cable, solder etc..

Can I have some solder wire, can I have some wire solder is another.

I explain that these are two diffent things.

For me a wire is a single conductor that could be solid core or stranded whereas a cable can have more than one conductor wire.
You'll notice I said for me, if I were a cable car engineer or a fisherman I'd have string and rope to worry about too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:41:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

I wouldn't use rubber. It tends to perish after a few years and
become brittle.

Odd then that most high quality power tools have rubber, rather than PVC,
flex?

Not comparing like with like. Flex has to be able to be twisted,
coiled or whatever hundreds of times (clue lies in the name) and is
not generally expected to last 40 years. Nobody would wire a house
using flex.

May be out of date but:

"Part P approved document Appendix C

"Tough Rubber Sheathed (TRS), vulcanized rubber insulated (VRI) cables

"Prior to the use of pvc insulated cables becoming common in the
1960s, most cables installed in domestic dwellings were of the rubber
insulated, tough-rubber sheathed (TRS) type. These are easily
recognizable by their black exterior.

"The extent to which the insulation and sheath deteriorate in service
depends very much on whether the cable has been subjected to
overloading and/or excessive temperature, or the rubber has been
exposed to direct sunlight. Deterioration results in a loss of
insulating properties, with the rubber becoming dry and inflexible,
perhaps with a tendency to crumble.

"Such wiring installations should be tested by a competent person at
the earliest opportunity, but otherwise left undisturbed until
replacement, as they are beyond their normally expected safe working
life."

This does not look like encouragement to use rubber cable to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 08:36:31 UTC+1, charles wrote:
no date - but I've various part drums of Red/black/earth

Getting sought-after, that is.

Owain

indeed you can pre-date various now Part P items.

Why bother?

Brown/Blue was legit before part P, and Red Black after it. No one is
going to care in most cases...

Plus if it is after Part P, you just say you didn't do it. And add,
wouldn't it be illegal if I had?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:41:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You are confusing two different applications; Permanent wiring and flexible
cables. For flexible cables, which can usually be replaced fairly easily,
rubber has the advantage of being much more flexible than PVC and doesn't
stiffen due to low temperatures.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 21:19:53 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:41:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No I am not confusing different applications. I am replying to a
posting that confuses two different applications. Please take care
with attribution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to
find and cheaper than rubber.

I wouldn't use rubber. It tends to perish after a few years and
become brittle.

Odd then that most high quality power tools have rubber, rather than
PVC, flex?

Not comparing like with like.

In what way is a power tool cord very different from an extension lead?

Flex has to be able to be twisted,
coiled or whatever hundreds of times (clue lies in the name) and is
not generally expected to last 40 years.

Nobody would wire a house using flex.

Who was suggesting you should?

BTW, the rubber used these days for flex might well be very different from
the rubber used all those years ago for house wiring, etc.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 21:19:53 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:41:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You're confusing something. The comment about rubber being better than PVC
rather obviously applied to an extension lead - ie flex.

And given you can't buy rubber TW&E, no real point in discussing it for a
new installation.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

source of silicone mains cable by the metre? The Night Tripper[_2_] UK diy 17 August 12th 15 11:05 PM
mini digger OK for 2 metre foundations ? [email protected] UK diy 6 October 17th 05 07:18 PM
Breather Membrane by the Metre Kevin Brady UK diy 1 September 16th 05 11:18 AM
1 cubic metre ? in2minds UK diy 59 October 20th 04 07:34 AM
Fitting a water metre? Steve and Stephanie UK diy 56 September 15th 04 09:21 AM