Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable by the metre

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 00:07:24 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

Some wholesalers still cut cable - especially in the larger sizes.

Maplins still do it by the metre 99p for 2 core 3 amp £1.39 for 3 core.

With the likes of B&Q the premium they charge for small lenghts (usually
pre-cut lengths) means I'd rather buy a full reel of the common types.
It's doesn't have a use by date. ;-)

But what if the regulations change, as you can't legally use your old black and red cable for new mains instalations can you ?

I know there's no use by date or best until but I wonder how long the the plastic they are using will last.

I have a reel or two of it here and I only allow it to be used for DC where we need to carry a bit more current than our maxium 3 amp cable we keep.
i.e I won't let students use it for 'simulating' a real world ring main as we do have projects that sometimes might benifit from such a display.