Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable by the metre

On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 23:43:03 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 00:20:27 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/08/2017 22:35, Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if you can still buy cable by the metre at B&Q or do
you have to buy a whole reel?

For a DIY extension lead, I did find that PVC cable was easier to find
and cheaper than rubber.

Isn't that because it's cheaper to make, and when cable was asked for I
thought of cable rather than Twin & earth which is differnt to teh cort
of cable you should be using for an extention lead.

Although both are cables, most would call the sort used for an extension
lead flex.

Except most don't bother, but this might depend on culture or country, studetns find this sort of thing difficult the differtn between flex, wire cable, solder etc..

Can I have some solder wire, can I have some wire solder is another.

I explain that these are two diffent things.

For me a wire is a single conductor that could be solid core or stranded whereas a cable can have more than one conductor wire.
You'll notice I said for me, if I were a cable car engineer or a fisherman I'd have string and rope to worry about too.