Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default re grenfell tower fire question

Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir starting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 June 2017 19:21:28 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir starting.

Depends on the details of the fridge fault. MCBs certainly don't eliminate all fires.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:
Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir
starting.

What trip switch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:
Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir
starting.

What trip switch?

The over-current or earth leakage trip-switches in the "fuse box". Or in
extreme case the 60 A "company fuse" (which i think is always still an
old-fashioned melting-metal fuse). But I think you *did* know that.

The difficulty is when the short is not to earth and is a lower-than-normal
resistance but not a complete short, so you draw a larger current (or a
current through the wrong material, allowing it to heat up) but not a
current that is large enough to blow/trip the cutout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote

Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir
starting.

Its not always possible for the trip in the cu to prevent a fire.

For example, if the butane like refrigerant in the fridge starts
to leak out due to a seal or weld failure and that is ignited
by something as simple as a relay tripping normally to start
the motor because its not cold enough, no cu trip is going
to even notice any electrical problem until the fire melts
wires and produces a short that way, by which time the
fire is well alight and it doesnt matter if the mains is
disconnected, the fire will keep burning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 20:05, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:

What trip switch?

The over-current or earth leakage trip-switches in the "fuse box". Or in
extreme case the 60 A "company fuse" (which i think is always still an
old-fashioned melting-metal fuse). But I think you *did* know that.

The difficulty is when the short is not to earth and is a
lower-than-normal resistance but not a complete short, so you draw a
larger current (or a current through the wrong material, allowing it to
heat up) but not a current that is large enough to blow/trip the cutout.

It sounded to me like the PP thought there was some magic fire detecting
device...

Back to the point, the fuse in the fridge's plug would be the first to
go, unless there was an RCD *and* the appliance is a Class I (earthed)
device (which seems likely for a metal fridge).

But it's possible to start a fire with no serious overload - with the
right conditions, an amp at 230V can make things extremely hot - and if
the hot thing is next to a combustible thing...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2017 19:21, ss wrote:

Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir
starting.

Not necessarily - it depends on if the fault caused it to draw too much
current or allow excess earth leakage. If the answer to both those is
"no", then the circuit protection will be none the wiser that things are
going pear shaped elsewhere.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 June 2017 20:36:46 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/06/17 20:05, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:

[...]

The bimetal cutout on the fridge compressor, the plug fuse, the MCB, the RCD, the supplier's fuse and if present (very unlikely) an AFCI are all fire preventing devices. All of them only work on a percentage of fire causing faults.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 20:05, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:

[...]

I've never seen an AFCI, I see they are now common in the USA and that
they are prone to false tripping.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 20:05, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:

[...]

AIUI the 18th will make them common here. A workaround will be needed for old arcy sparky equipment.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2017 20:05, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:
Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the
mains meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a
fir starting.

What trip switch?

The over-current or earth leakage trip-switches in the "fuse box". Or in
extreme case the 60 A "company fuse" (which i think is always still an
old-fashioned melting-metal fuse). But I think you *did* know that.

ELCB may potentially save you if the cable chars or melts sufficiently
to allow a live to earth current that trips it out. But if you are out
of luck the leak goes live to neutral and a nominal 13A fuse will
support something like 20A for a few minutes...

Seen that happen with internally molten overloaded extension leads that
haven't been unwound properly. All the ones in out village hall now have
thermal cutouts to defend against potential abuse.

The difficulty is when the short is not to earth and is a
lower-than-normal resistance but not a complete short, so you draw a
larger current (or a current through the wrong material, allowing it to
heat up) but not a current that is large enough to blow/trip the cutout.

It is particularly bad in those tall floor fan heaters that swivel from
side to side with a 13A fuse and a cable that is forever being twisted
to and fro when the thing is in use and allowed to move as designed.

It isn't really a case of if it fails so much as when...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 21:15, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/06/2017 19:21, ss wrote:

Not being electrically savvy but should the `trip` switch on the mains
meter not have clicked in and cut the current off to prevent a fir
starting.

Not necessarily - it depends on if the fault caused it to draw too much
current or allow excess earth leakage. If the answer to both those is
"no", then the circuit protection will be none the wiser that things are
going pear shaped elsewhere.

While, assuming there was an RCD on the circuit, it is hard to believe
once the fire 'took hold', the insulation wouldn't cause it to trip, the
fire could easily continue to burn.

The real question is, why the occupier/owner didn't take steps to
contain the fire and call the fire brigade. Early reports indicate he
collected items and told a neighbour, who could see the fire in his
kitchen- meaning the door to his flat was open. Had the precaution of
simply closing doors and windows etc. and ensuring the fire service were
called, could the fire have been contained?

Those being evacuated in Camden reported that there had been several
fires in their block(s), all of which had been contained.

This isn't an attempt to blame the tenant, he may well have simply
panicked or not known what to do for whatever reason. Sadly, such things
happen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 23/06/2017 19:21, ss wrote:

[...]

when the transformer went in my TS520SE the amount of smoke was unbelievable
but I managed to cut the power before the house RCD tripped .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 14:28:27 +0100
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

when the transformer went in my TS520SE

Your what?

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

when the transformer went in my TS520SE

Your what?

yes that ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

when the transformer went in my TS520SE

Your what?

For the benefit of those who lack basic google skills (or CBA to
google), it's a 1970s Kenwood "Ham Radio" shortwave transciever designed
to be run off mains power (120/220/240vac). Presumably he meant the mains
transformer in the integrated supply which, in this case would have been
a special to provide heater and HT voltages for the valves (vacuum tubes)
as well as low level DC voltages for the transistorised portions (it was
a 'Hybrid' design relying on valves in the final stages of the
transmitter to achieve its 100W PEP RF output power rating).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

when the transformer went in my TS520SE

Your what?

For the benefit of those who lack basic google skills (or CBA to
google), it's a 1970s Kenwood "Ham Radio" shortwave transciever
designed to be run off mains power (120/220/240vac). Presumably he
meant the mains transformer in the integrated supply which, in this
case would have been a special to provide heater and HT voltages for
the valves (vacuum tubes) as well as low level DC voltages for the
transistorised portions (it was a 'Hybrid' design relying on valves
in the final stages of the transmitter to achieve its 100W PEP RF
output power rating).

Thank you. It would have been simple to include a reference to its
purpose in the original message, such as:

"when the transformer went in my TS520SE shortwave transceiver, ... . "

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

when the transformer went in my TS520SE

Your what?

For the benefit of those who lack basic google skills (or CBA to
google), it's a 1970s Kenwood "Ham Radio" shortwave transciever
designed to be run off mains power (120/220/240vac). Presumably he
meant the mains transformer in the integrated supply which, in this
case would have been a special to provide heater and HT voltages for
the valves (vacuum tubes) as well as low level DC voltages for the
transistorised portions (it was a 'Hybrid' design relying on valves in
the final stages of the transmitter to achieve its 100W PEP RF output
power rating).

Thank you. It would have been simple to include a reference to its
purpose in the original message, such as:

"when the transformer went in my TS520SE shortwave transceiver, ... . "

Agreed! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

when the transformer went in my TS520SE

Your what?

For the benefit of those who lack basic google skills (or CBA to
google), it's a 1970s Kenwood "Ham Radio" shortwave transciever
designed to be run off mains power (120/220/240vac). Presumably he
meant the mains transformer in the integrated supply which, in this
case would have been a special to provide heater and HT voltages for
the valves (vacuum tubes) as well as low level DC voltages for the
transistorised portions (it was a 'Hybrid' design relying on valves in
the final stages of the transmitter to achieve its 100W PEP RF output
power rating).

Thank you. It would have been simple to include a reference to its
purpose in the original message, such as:

"when the transformer went in my TS520SE shortwave transceiver, ... . "

Agreed! :-)

jeeezus christ I was replying to another albeit class B radio ham Brian
Reay...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"

Agreed! :-)

jeeezus christ I was replying to another albeit class B radio ham Brian
Reay...

No such thing as a class B.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 June 2017 01:20:09 UTC+1, wrote:
I've never seen an AFCI, I see they are now common in the USA and that
they are prone to false tripping.

AIUI the 18th will make them common here. A workaround will be needed for
old arcy sparky equipment.

And 18th Edition Amendment 1 will introduce requirements for emergency lighting to stop people falling down stairs in darkness from the false tripping..

18th Edition Amendment 2 will require all telecoms equipment to be supplied through UPS so that people can call 999 on their cordless phone after they've fallen down the stairs in darkness from the false tripping but not updated their installation to Amendment 1.

NICEIC will introduce a new mandatory course for members "Plugging in a UPS".

The Scottish Government will require all fridge-freezers in rented accommodation to be inspected annually by an accredited electrician ... oh hang on, they already do.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 11:12:24 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

All of them, or just the ones on a landlord's inventory? If it's also
ones supplied by tenants (as appears to be the case in most social
housing, according to people posting here), how do TPTB know which flats
need inspecting?

Simples.

It'll be assumed that all address's have one or more of fridge or
freezer or fridge/freezer. The inspection authority will be able to
obtain a warrant to search any property they suspect may have an
unregistered fridge, freezer or fridge/freezer. The inspection
authority will also write annual threatening letters to any address
that doesn't have a current record of the precense of an inspected
fridge or freezer or fridge freezer. It will be up to the householder
to obtain, at their cost, an Inspection Certificate from an
accredited Inspection Provider. Once obtained the housholder will
have to pass the certificate details to the Inspection Authority,
this will only be able to be done online. Failure to submit the
certificate details will result in an automatic, non-contestable,
fine. Not being able to use the online submission service will not be
a valid excuse for not submitting the certificate details.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/17 20:05, NY wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 23/06/17 19:21, ss wrote:

[...]

The 18th edition draft makes a brief mention of them, but gives little
indication of when or how they would be used. It basically (at this
stage) allows for their use.

(I will post the draft text in another thread)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

only class Bs believe that ....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

So why use a broadcast medium?

No such thing as a class B.

Can we not do that here?

worth doing it anywhere .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

But would a casual inspection show a fridge freezer or tumble drier etc is
likely to catch fire?

Bit like saying a car with a fresh MOT won't break down.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But would a casual inspection show a fridge freezer or tumble drier etc is
likely to catch fire?

Bit like saying a car with a fresh MOT won't break down.

I think the warning is in the name HOTpoint .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

But would a casual inspection show a fridge freezer or tumble drier etc is
likely to catch fire?

Bit like saying a car with a fresh MOT won't break down.

I think the warning is in the name HOTpoint .....

Didn't Beko have a similar problem not long ago?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

But would a casual inspection show a fridge freezer or tumble drier etc
is
likely to catch fire?

Bit like saying a car with a fresh MOT won't break down.

I think the warning is in the name HOTpoint .....

Didn't Beko have a similar problem not long ago?

yes wouldn't touch a Beko anything .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 14:57:51 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

There were some Hotpoint fridge/freezers a few years ago that
apparently had a problem with the wires that went out to the doors, they
would chafe, or something. Ours was similar, but not of the exact range
that suffered from the problem.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
But would a casual inspection show a fridge freezer or tumble drier etc
is likely to catch fire?

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

That might apply to truly portable things - but fridge freezers and tumble
driers?

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:46:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or

otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with

the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is

pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

That might apply to truly portable things - but fridge freezers and
tumble driers?

Why not? Plugged in via extension cable and/or multi socket plug
stuff dangling in the space, things gradually corrode/work loose,
high resistance, heat, fire...

You, I and most people in here wouldn't do that sort of thing but
great many people haven't a clue about electricity.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:46:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or

otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with

the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is

pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

That might apply to truly portable things - but fridge freezers and
tumble driers?

Why not? Plugged in via extension cable and/or multi socket plug
stuff dangling in the space, things gradually corrode/work loose,
high resistance, heat, fire...

These were newly refurbished flats. With, I'd guess, enough sockets for
the normal kitchen stuff - and in the right place. I

You, I and most people in here wouldn't do that sort of thing but
great many people haven't a clue about electricity.

It's mostly AV and computer stuff that ends up on extension leads.
Kitchens tend to be much better in that respect.

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

These were newly refurbished flats. With, I'd guess, enough sockets for
the normal kitchen stuff - and in the right place.

Other than new windows and possibly new heating, was anything else done
inside the individual flats?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 07:41:08 on Tue, 27
Jun 2017, Andy Burns remarked:

These were newly refurbished flats. With, I'd guess, enough sockets for
the normal kitchen stuff - and in the right place.

Other than new windows and possibly new heating, was anything else done
inside the individual flats?

The former galley kitchen and lounge were converted into a
kitchen/diner. I'd be surprised if they didn't also have new bathrooms.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

These were newly refurbished flats. With, I'd guess, enough sockets for
the normal kitchen stuff - and in the right place.

Other than new windows and possibly new heating, was anything else done
inside the individual flats?

Hopefully as they spent £70k per flat compared to £50k next door.
--
bert