Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default re grenfell tower fire question

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:46:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or

otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with

the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is

pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

That might apply to truly portable things - but fridge freezers and
tumble driers?

Why not? Plugged in via extension cable and/or multi socket plug
stuff dangling in the space, things gradually corrode/work loose,
high resistance, heat, fire...

These were newly refurbished flats. With, I'd guess, enough sockets for
the normal kitchen stuff - and in the right place. I

You, I and most people in here wouldn't do that sort of thing but
great many people haven't a clue about electricity.

It's mostly AV and computer stuff that ends up on extension leads.
Kitchens tend to be much better in that respect.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.