Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default re grenfell tower fire question

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:46:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I suspect most "eletrical appliance" fires are damaged or

otherwise
abused cables and plug/sockets rather than an actual fault with

the
appliance(*). Just like most things failing a PAT on the visual
inspection rather than what the box says when the button is

pressed.

(*) Note "fault" not "poor design".

That might apply to truly portable things - but fridge freezers and
tumble driers?

Why not? Plugged in via extension cable and/or multi socket plug
stuff dangling in the space, things gradually corrode/work loose,
high resistance, heat, fire...

You, I and most people in here wouldn't do that sort of thing but
great many people haven't a clue about electricity.

--
Cheers
Dave.