Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] EU warning label on goods

I just bought a plastic assembly from Hong Kong as a spare to attach a
camera to a windscreen.

It came in a packet with a yellow, printed, stuck on label reading:

" Goods not fulfilling the conditions laid down in Articles 28 and 29 of
the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union".

As far as I can tell, these articles imply that the mounting is not
allowed free passage into or between EU states and may be liable to
customs and other duties. My package was obviously from Hong Kong, and
also had a large customs declaration sticker saying it was a bike bag of
value $10. I paid about £2.00 including "Free Postage". for the
assembly.

Has anyone else seen one of these labels? Will I be ordered off the
ferry if the mounting is discovered? :-)
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:27:45 +0000, Bill wrote:

[...]

Only if you put the sticker on the item.

Reminds me of the green and red stickers telephones had on them that
told you that you were/weren't allowed to plug them into the
telephone sockets, when the GPO (as I think it was still known)
deigned to allow us sockets for telephones.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 10:29:42 UTC, Bill wrote:
I just bought a plastic assembly from Hong Kong as a spare to attach a
camera to a windscreen.

It came in a packet with a yellow, printed, stuck on label reading:

" Goods not fulfilling the conditions laid down in Articles 28 and 29 of
the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union".

As far as I can tell, these articles imply that the mounting is not
allowed free passage into or between EU states and may be liable to
customs and other duties. My package was obviously from Hong Kong, and
also had a large customs declaration sticker saying it was a bike bag of
value $10. I paid about £2.00 including "Free Postage". for the
assembly.

Has anyone else seen one of these labels? Will I be ordered off the
ferry if the mounting is discovered? :-)

I think the current punishment is to be keel hauled. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
No its called covering ones back I'd suggest. its always gone on to make
illegal legal as nobody could figure out how to treat it under other
laws.

Very Yes Minister in an EU kind of way.

Seems perfectly logical to me. It can be imported and used with the
warnings. But not imported for re-sale within the EU.

It's probably the same as many of the power tools etc that Lidl sell. They
appear to come from Germany - but I doubt they are totally made in German
factories. So commissioned by a German firm who are then responsible for
making sure they comply and so on. Not so different from incorporating
electronic components from the far east in something which *is* made in
the EU.

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This has nothing to with taxes and other misinformation going around. First off, the yellow sticker related to taxes refers to articles 9 and 10. 9 and 10. Not 28 and 29. On the other hand, the yellow sticker stating articles 28 and 29 refer to goods that are not allowed in all EU member states or that cannot be sold among member states, ie: tobacco related products or, more recently, ecigars and/or ecigars consumables. Dangerous materials such as ion/lithium batteries and so on. Until now, I haven't found one website that explains the truth about this issue. One last thing, I've only received packages with this sticker ONLY if they arrive to Europe by the Netherlands.

Articles 28 and 29 talk about "products originating in Member States and to products coming from third countries which are in free circulation in Member States." The keyword here is FREE CIRCULATION. As I said earlier, there are goods that CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT circulate freely among all EU member countries. That's why you get the sticker when such products enter the EU from abroad.

Read the label Muggles Home Repair 9 October 2nd 15 07:09 AM
Read the label DerbyDad03 Home Repair 0 September 30th 15 04:40 PM
label remover Fred UK diy 42 July 16th 12 10:12 PM
OT Label Maker Metspitzer Home Repair 5 July 7th 10 10:24 PM
If You Label, They Will Crush George Woodworking 34 December 5th 05 12:09 AM