Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default label remover

Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

What is the adhesive stuck to?

I'll await the chemists replies but I was under the impresion that cigarette
lighter fluid has similar ingredients to the label removing products
(naphtha?).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

Lidl had some recently - which works well on the adhesive I tried it on.
They may still have some. Their graffiti remover is also worth having.
Although like all these things I doubt if there's a 'one fits all'
solution.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 12:04, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA

Sometimes, I find that fresh sticky tape repeatedly applied to the
sticky area gradually removes the mess.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA

Had something like that for years - it is very useful. Recently ran out -
and got a small one from Lidl (last week, I think) for £1.99. Not yet used
so cannot comment on effectiveness.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

Yes, it should be better, works for me.

Meths and acetone are very volatile, LRM evaporates much more slowly
apart for any other consideration, and so allows it to penetrate the
dried out crud

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:27:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape?

WD40.

Then you need something like lighter fluid to remove the gunk left by the
WD40 and that may well have stained the substrate with an oily mess
depending on what the substrate is.

Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Both still at my local supermarket - although like fags you're not allowed
to see them. Which means you can't point them out to the assistant who
can't see things in front of his nose.

They appear to choose non smokers to man this area. Who don't know their
Silk Cut mild from Capstan full strength.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 12:04, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA

This stuff works well on a variety of sticky (and icky) adhesive residues:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/label-remover-25350

It also removes the black scuff marks from computer front panels
resulting from users kicking the tower box under their desk. Allegedly
accidental, but ... :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 12:04, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

I find Swarfega left for an hour or so reasonably effective on these
tacky label adhesives. A spot of white spirit or meths to polish off the
last traces (or metal polish at a pinch).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA

Effective against most but not all adhesives. The secret is to apply it
then leave it alone for 5 minutes, then wipe off, then apply and leave
again if necessary.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Both still at my local supermarket - although like fags you're not allowed
to see them. Which means you can't point them out to the assistant who
can't see things in front of his nose.

I was in my local garage today and had memories of The Golden Shot. All
I wanted was a pack of Old Holborn. The guy didn't actually speak
English, so it was sign language of up a bit, left a bit etc. I nearly
said fire when he finally got to it. Thank goodness it wasn't hidden
away!

PS,
if that label remover is the same as the one supplied by RS, it probably
is, then it is superb stuff and smells nicely of oranges too.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Fred
writes
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

Yes, it should be better, works for me.

Meths and acetone are very volatile,

So is my wife, that's why I don't get her to remove sticky labels.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better
do you think?

TIA

Effective against most but not all adhesives.

The secret is to apply
it then leave it alone for 5 minutes, then wipe off, then apply and
leave again if necessary.

That's how I treat my women.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 12:04*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA

Not sure if its actually citrus based but it smells citrus rather than
solvent. Reasonably effective in limited trials here.

Have a collection of Pro-Power aerosols now, if need something small
in a hurry from CPC always add an aerosol of some form , then they
courier rather than post it ;-)

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check
the offer booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape?
I removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

Worth trying with a much higher molecular weight liquid like
kerosene or eucalyptus oil. And then get that off with the metho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:12:02 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

What is the adhesive stuck to?

I'll await the chemists replies but I was under the impresion that cigarette
lighter fluid has similar ingredients to the label removing products
(naphtha?).

Meths and Isopropanol etc tend to leave a smeary mess if rubbed with a
swab before the sticky element has been sufficiently weakened. This
can take 5-10 mins. One of our manuals at work used to suggest taping
alcohol swabs down over gobs of unwanted adhesive and leaving for 10
minutes. It was indeed slow going cleaning a transparent belt 500 feet
long contaminated with over 2500 marks !

As a rule "Label Removers" contain delta -limonene, which is a by
product of the orange (+lemon +gropefruit) juice industry. Simply put
it is a terpentine squeezed out of citrus (various) tree wastes inc.
wood, leaves, peels , the lot. It is almost completely inoccuous
having been used in the past in cosmetics and to flavour cheap sweets
and puddings, it's use has not been shown to cause allergies/ asthma
It will however de-grease the skin.

It works very well at unsticking adhesive labels. If it leaves a
trace behind of where it's been used it is readily miscible with
lighter volatile solvents, which used in generous quantities, on a
swab will mix with and absorb the bulk of it,.Whats left will
evaporate to dryness in a couple of minutes.

DerekG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Fred wrote:
[...]

That sounds like an up-market version of the substance I use to remove
labels, stickers, corn-plasters, resin and decomposed rubber bands
from violins. I just use a bit of white spirit on a rag. The white
spirit won't react unfavourably with any of the known violin varnishes
but is pretty effective at removing the unwanted stuff. I have some
hush, don't tell anyone Carbon Tetrachloride for the really bad
cases but generally a clean up with white spirit and then a polish up
with either wax or linseed oil does the trick for me.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 23:29:00 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

[...]

We don't have a violin 8-(

Brings to mind an old joke...

The instructions said "Stretch it over the Organ". -

We didn't have an organ so I stretched it over the piano but it still
didn't work ...

Don't even think about the Carbon Tet."

DerekG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:04:41 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Fred , randomly hit the keyboard and

removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue!

I may be some freak of nature, but I find skin grease gets rid of
virtually any sticky label residue on a non-porous surface. I'm not
particularly greasy but there's enough on my nose & forehead to be
able to smear it over the mark. Then a screen wipe or glasses cleaner
to wipe of the grease marks.

My freakishness may also explain why I can never get glue to stick.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 12:04, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used a label remover like this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...0ml/dp/SA01889

(I think it is on promotion, so if you want it, check the offer
booklets for a discounted order code)

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape? I
removed some tape recently and battled with meths and acetone to
remove the sticky residue! Would something like this be any better do
you think?

TIA

I've always found the "proper" label removers very effective, even on
things which IPA, acetone, WD40 etc struggle with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:

I may be some freak of nature, but I find skin grease gets rid of
virtually any sticky label residue on a non-porous surface. I'm not
particularly greasy but there's enough on my nose & forehead to be
able to smear it over the mark. Then a screen wipe or glasses cleaner
to wipe of the grease marks.

I find nose-grease is great for getting rid of small oily marks on my
car when I'm washing it!

Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 23:29, Nick Odell wrote:

[...] I just use a bit of white spirit on a rag.

+1. Works well on non-glossy paper labels. Wet the label with the
solvent first, leave to soak for ~20 minutes, after which it will peel
off easily (usually).

Oil of eucalyptus works well too.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:57:13 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Being a non-smoker, can I ask what is the difference between the two?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:31:12 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

Have a collection of Pro-Power aerosols now, if need something small
in a hurry from CPC always add an aerosol of some form , then they
courier rather than post it ;-)

Thanks everyone. There seems to be agreement that this is a good
product, so I will give it a try.

I've always had my orders delivered by UPS but then I wait until I
have £40 worth to get the free delivery. Perhaps at that weight, it is
cheaper to use UPS than the mail. The aerosol trick is worth knowing
for smaller orders though.

What other aerosols have you bought? I've only ever used their air
duster, though last time that ran out, I think tool station were
cheaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the adhesive stuck to?

It was metal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Being a non-smoker, can I ask what is the difference between the two?

Older "wick" lighters are filled with a fluid (naptha based?) it used*
to come in tins rather like 3-in-1 oil with a little beak to fill them,
newer lighters are filled with butane gas which liquefies even at the
relatively low pressures used.

*still does it seems
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005ELPKCS/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Being a non-smoker, can I ask what is the difference between the two?

Lighter fluid is effectively a form of petrol. Gas is butane, or similar.

So the fluid is quite handy as a solvent - the gas, being gas, not.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Being a non-smoker, can I ask what is the difference between the two?

Fluid is petrol.
Gas is butane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:11:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

So the fluid is quite handy as a solvent - the gas, being gas, not.

So the fluid has many uses but the gas can only be used to set things
alight?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So the fluid is quite handy as a solvent - the gas, being gas, not.

So the fluid has many uses but the gas can only be used to set things
alight?

If you want another use for the gas try sniffing it. It's what some do.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:11:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

So the fluid is quite handy as a solvent - the gas, being gas, not.

So the fluid has many uses but the gas can only be used to set things
alight?

If you want another use for the gas try sniffing it. It's what some do.

It can be handy for spot-freezing things. Usual disclaimers apply.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:27:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape?

WD40.

Then you need something like lighter fluid to remove the gunk left by the
WD40 and that may well have stained the substrate with an oily mess
depending on what the substrate is.

I do wish that people could decide whether WD40 evaporates completely
(and is therefore useless as a lubricant or an anti-rust agent), or
whether it does actually leave a protective, oily film.

Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
lighter gas? I need both...

Many stick-on labels can be peeled off almost entirely after the
application of some heat from a hair dryer or, with care, a heat gun. A
quick wipe with the usual solvents will quickly take care of any
residual stickiness.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

WD40 definitelyleaves an oily film. I use it on my garden tools to stop them
from rusting over winter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , harryagain
writes

[...]

Of course it does (but there are those who insist it doesn't). I should
really have added a smilie!

In the case of label removal, the fact that it doesn't evaporate away
could help to prolong the action of softening the sticky. In my
experience, an accidental spot or two of WC40 on a label you DO want to
stay stuck, usually results in it eventually falling off!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:49:43 PM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message l.co.uk>, Dave
Liquorice > writes
>On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:27:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>
>>> I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape?
>>
>> WD40.
>
>Then you need something like lighter fluid to remove the gunk left by the
>WD40 and that may well have stained the substrate with an oily mess
>depending on what the substrate is.

I do wish that people could decide whether WD40 evaporates completely
(and is therefore useless as a lubricant or an anti-rust agent), or
whether it does actually leave a protective, oily film.

>Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
>disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
>lighter gas? I need both...

Many stick-on labels can be peeled off almost entirely after the
application of some heat from a hair dryer or, with care, a heat gun. A
quick wipe with the usual solvents will quickly take care of any
residual stickiness.
--
Ian

The American magasine "Fine Woodworking" did tests recently on various anti-rust products. WD40 cam out best of the bunch which surprised me. I always swore by Boeshield T9.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
On Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:49:43 PM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message l.co.uk>, Dave
Liquorice > writes
>On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:27:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>
>>> I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape?
>>
>> WD40.
>
>Then you need something like lighter fluid to remove the gunk left by the
>WD40 and that may well have stained the substrate with an oily mess
>depending on what the substrate is.

I do wish that people could decide whether WD40 evaporates completely
(and is therefore useless as a lubricant or an anti-rust agent), or
whether it does actually leave a protective, oily film.

>Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
>disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
>lighter gas? I need both...

Many stick-on labels can be peeled off almost entirely after the
application of some heat from a hair dryer or, with care, a heat gun. A
quick wipe with the usual solvents will quickly take care of any
residual stickiness.
--
Ian

The American magasine "Fine Woodworking" did tests recently on various anti-rust products. WD40 cam out best of the bunch which surprised me. I always swore by Boeshield T9.

Paul Mc Cann

I wish people wouldn't post to usenet in HTML format.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Advice on label remover Andy[_17_] Home Repair 17 November 20th 10 03:25 AM
Meths, white spirit & label remover not compatible with CU js.b1 UK diy 6 July 12th 10 10:45 AM
OT Label Maker Metspitzer Home Repair 5 July 7th 10 10:24 PM
If You Label, They Will Crush George Woodworking 34 December 5th 05 12:09 AM