Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on label remover

I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without
ruining the plastic finish.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 18, 10:48*am, Andy wrote:
I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without
ruining the plastic finish.

Thanks,

Andy

peanut butter works very well for this. Takes off the lables leaving
no residue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 8:07*am, jim wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:48*am, Andy wrote:

I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without
ruining the plastic finish.

Thanks,

Andy

peanut butter works very well for this. Takes off the lables leaving
no residue.

Thanks, used it for getting gum out of my daughters hair. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 8:07 am, jim wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:48 am, Andy wrote:

I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without
ruining the plastic finish.

Thanks,

Andy

peanut butter works very well for this. Takes off the lables leaving
no residue.

Thanks, used it for getting gum out of my daughters hair. :-)

Andy

============

Vegetable oil will work too, although for a vertical surface, the peanut
butter would stay in place longer. It should say that on the label, but
because half the world is stupid, that part of the label is occupied by the
"Contains Peanuts, You Idiot" warning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Andy wrote:
I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without ruining the plastic finish.

Use a hair dryer to heat factory stickers. They'll peel right off.
Then use peanut butter or other solvent. I get good results using
99% or anhydrous isopropyl alcohol; that is just rubbing alcohol
without water added. You can get it at an automobile parts store
or a pharmacy. The full strength isopropyl is a staple item in my
house. It removes ball point pen scribbles from the sofa, Sharpie
permanent marker scribbles from the kitchen table, etc. Same and
more from hands and feet...

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 10:23 AM, Una wrote:
wrote:
I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without ruining the plastic finish.

Use a hair dryer to heat factory stickers. They'll peel right off.
Then use peanut butter or other solvent. I get good results using
99% or anhydrous isopropyl alcohol; that is just rubbing alcohol
without water added. You can get it at an automobile parts store
or a pharmacy. The full strength isopropyl is a staple item in my
house. It removes ball point pen scribbles from the sofa, Sharpie
permanent marker scribbles from the kitchen table, etc. Same and
more from hands and feet...

Una

Pure isopropanol may effect finish on some plastics but should be OK for
food containers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message

I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without ruining the plastic finish.

Read with care the labelling on Goo Gone. This product is extremely
good on glass but might have solvents that harm PVC.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Una" wrote in message ...

I get good results using
99% or anhydrous isopropyl alcohol; that is just rubbing alcohol
without water added. You can get it at an automobile parts store
or a pharmacy. The full strength isopropyl is a staple item in my
house. It removes ball point pen scribbles from the sofa, Sharpie
permanent marker scribbles from the kitchen table, etc. Same and
more from hands and feet...

I use alcohol as a cleaning fluid as well, and have had good luck removing
stickers using alcohol and a plastic scraper that won't mar the finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 2:00 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message

I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without ruining the plastic finish.

Read with care the labelling on Goo Gone. This product is extremely
good on glass but might have solvents that harm PVC.

Polymers like acrylics, polystyrene, PVC, polycarbonate and SBS are
particularly susceptible to lots of solvents. OP's question would
indicate that material he wants to remove labels from is in this category.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cuts down on your daughter's cologne bill? But, is she flammable after
that?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) "
wrote in message

peanut butter works very well for this. Takes off the lables
leaving
no residue.

Thanks, used it for getting gum out of my daughters hair. :-)

Andy

I use Naptha.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 5:12*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Cuts down on your daughter's cologne bill? But, is she flammable after
that?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"hr(bob) "
wrote in ...

peanut butter works very well for this. Takes off the lables
leaving
no residue.

Thanks, used it for getting gum out of my daughters hair. :-)

Andy

I use Naptha.

I used a combo of stuff.

Goof Off got off the labels.

On most of the plastic, it did an excellent job.

On other different pieces, it started etching into it.

I spray painted it tonight.

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 8:43*pm, Marina wrote:
Vegtable oil. *The kind in a bottle, not the shortning.

Thanks for all the excellent ideas.

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 8:48*am, Andy wrote:
I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without
ruining the plastic finish.

Thanks,

Andy

My favorite label/adhesive remover is Zippo or Rossignol lighter
fluid.

It leaves no residue and I have yet to have it ruin any surface. It'll
soak right through most labels and get right to the adhesive.

I buy it in "bulk" (3 - 4 12 oz containers) from whichever web source
has the best final cost (product + shipping).

It's always cheaper than than buying it from a local store. It's also
getting harder and harder to find the larger containers (or even *any*
containers) at local stores.

WD-40 is my second choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2010 8:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 18, 8:48 am, wrote:
I found a front cover for my "dumpster special computer".

I am looking for recommendations on removing the plethora of stickers
on it without
ruining the plastic finish.

Thanks,

Andy

My favorite label/adhesive remover is Zippo or Rossignol lighter
fluid.

It leaves no residue and I have yet to have it ruin any surface. It'll
soak right through most labels and get right to the adhesive.

I buy it in "bulk" (3 - 4 12 oz containers) from whichever web source
has the best final cost (product + shipping).

It's always cheaper than than buying it from a local store. It's also
getting harder and harder to find the larger containers (or even *any*
containers) at local stores.

WD-40 is my second choice.

Have you tried buying a gallon of naphtha? As I recall, most lighter
fluid is naphtha or mostly naphtha. Shell developed Ronsonol for the
Ronson Company.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/257v2ex

TDD

Meths, white spirit & label remover not compatible with CU js.b1 UK diy 6 July 12th 10 10:45 AM
OT Label Maker Metspitzer Home Repair 5 July 7th 10 10:24 PM
If You Label, They Will Crush George Woodworking 34 December 5th 05 12:09 AM
Hardware Label bubbalouie Woodworking 25 December 5th 04 06:48 PM