Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default label remover

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:49:43 PM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message l.co.uk>, Dave
Liquorice > writes
>On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:27:38 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>
>>> I wondered if it would remove the adhesive from double-sided tape?
>>
>> WD40.
>
>Then you need something like lighter fluid to remove the gunk left by the
>WD40 and that may well have stained the substrate with an oily mess
>depending on what the substrate is.

I do wish that people could decide whether WD40 evaporates completely
(and is therefore useless as a lubricant or an anti-rust agent), or
whether it does actually leave a protective, oily film.

>Lighter fluid is good stuff I must get some more but it seems to have
>disappeared from common souces (ie places selling fags) or is that
>lighter gas? I need both...

Many stick-on labels can be peeled off almost entirely after the
application of some heat from a hair dryer or, with care, a heat gun. A
quick wipe with the usual solvents will quickly take care of any
residual stickiness.
--
Ian

The American magasine "Fine Woodworking" did tests recently on various anti-rust products. WD40 cam out best of the bunch which surprised me. I always swore by Boeshield T9.

Paul Mc Cann