Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

Listening to Radio 4 this morning they did an item on (I think) Norway
and their switch to Digital radio - it appears that by the end of 2017
FM radio switch off in that country will be complete.

Anyway the bloke said that approximately 48% of UK radio listening was
now digital and when this reaches 50% a date will be set for UK FM
switch off.

When DAB first came out it was reported that all sets consumed batteries
like it was going out of fashion and as they all used basically the same
chip they were all as bad as one another.

I have an FM radio that sits in the bathroom and gets used for about 30
mins a day. 4 rechargeable C cells last about 3 months or thereabouts.
Direct connection to the mains is not an option.

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B wrote:
Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

There's bespoke rechargeable, as in a wierd battery pack that fits in the
C/D slot, and bespoke as in a lithium battery that fits inside. Those can
be a bog standard 3-wire lithium pouch cell - find one about the right size
and you're done.

That kind of radio can charge from a phone charger, so it makes charging
less of a hassle. I'm thinking of things like this:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dab-radios/xdr-p1dbp
(15-20 hours battery life) which have a battery pack that looks like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeab...-/182382582414

A lot of the DAB radios are stuck in 1960s as regards their battery
arrangements, not just their styling.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Fair enough, but I don't listen to (FM) radio at home and DAB is far
superior for Automotive use - maybe that's where the 48% figures are from?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 16:19, Chris B wrote:
[...]

Yes it was Norway. DAB has various problems, it takes a lot of
processing power to decode hence short battery life, it is expensive to
transmit and generally of low quality because better quality uses more
bandwidth and therefore costs more. Two dab radios tuned to the same
station will not be in sync unlike two FM radios

There are some good quality stations on the Internet.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B wrote:

When DAB first came out it was reported that all sets consumed batteries
like it was going out of fashion and as they all used basically the same
chip they were all as bad as one another.

I have an FM radio that sits in the bathroom and gets used for about 30
mins a day. 4 rechargeable C cells last about 3 months or thereabouts.
Direct connection to the mains is not an option.

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

I have had one of these for a few years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-DAB-Digital-Solar-Radio/dp/B003GM4S48/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484153120&sr =1-1&keywords=solar+dab

It comes with a couple of rechargeable AA batteries, though I
have since replaced them with higher capacity cells I had in
stock.

It sits on a south facing windowsill, with the top angled towards
the sun.

During the summer months it manages about an hour a day without
problems, unless there is a prolonged dull spell.

It performs less well in the winter, and as I can get a charging
feed, it tends to stay connected.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-11 16:48, Lee wrote:
On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Fair enough, but I don't listen to (FM) radio at home and DAB is far
superior for Automotive use - maybe that's where the 48% figures are from?

4G on phone, Bluetooth to car/speaker*, wouldn't that be better in a car
anyway?

*Could be hacked up, if not built-in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lee wrote:
On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Fair enough, but I don't listen to (FM) radio at home and DAB is far
superior for Automotive use - maybe that's where the 48% figures are from?

and, as have said before, it wasn't until DAB arrived that I could get a
reliable signal on my bedside radio.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

can't get those in my car

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-01-11 16:48, Lee wrote:
On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Fair enough, but I don't listen to (FM) radio at home and DAB is far
superior for Automotive use - maybe that's where the 48% figures are from?

4G on phone, Bluetooth to car/speaker*, wouldn't that be better in a car
anyway?

*Could be hacked up, if not built-in.

1. 4 G has a long way to go to get decent coverage
2. Radio has always been free. 4G costs

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Yes, I know. But sooner or later.......needs must.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 16:19, Chris B wrote:
snip

I have an FM radio that sits in the bathroom and gets used for about 30
mins a day. 4 rechargeable C cells last about 3 months or thereabouts.
Direct connection to the mains is not an option.

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

I have 2 table top DAB radios that run on batteries:

http://amzn.eu/5mECL37
http://amzn.eu/8UHF20O

(Bought them both from Sainsburys. They seem to be quite regularly
discounted to £40ish. I prefer the sound/build/use of the Sony)

I think they both advise against rechargeable batteries in the
instructions, but they both run fine. About 2 months I'd guess, used
maybe 20 minutes each day, using Aldi rechargeable C batteries.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:19:35 +0000, Chris B wrote:

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

No, not really.

I have a DAB radio that takes 6 AA cells, and draws 120-200 mA, both in FM and
DAB modes. (120 mA with the volume at min, 200 at max. volume). This means
roughly 10 hours of listening, using eneloop rechargeables. This is not
acceptable for shed use, far from mains for recharging.

This compares poorly to an old 80's Walkman with an FM-only radio, that does
about 6-10 hours on two used AA cells, used as in "too weak for the GPS to use".
(Its reception is poor, requiring fiddling with the speaker wire and careful
positioning, and also has a fiddly tuning knob.)

A post asking about a less power-hungry DAB+ radio in appropriate German
newsgroups came up with exactly nothing.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

On 1/11/2017 4:41 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Hear hear. FM quality is far better and more reliable in my experience.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Two dab radios tuned to the same
station will not be in sync unlike two FM radios

There are some good quality stations on the Internet.

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync with
analogue.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :
The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the transmitters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :
The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/11/2017 4:19 PM, Chris B wrote:
[...]

IME they still use more power than LW or FM. I have a couple of John
Lewis "own brand" which run off micro USB chargers, or batteries: one
takes AA and the other Cs, the AA one runs fine on Eneloops.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/11/2017 6:47 PM, Me wrote:
On 1/11/2017 4:41 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Hear hear. FM quality is far better and more reliable in my experience.

Depends on where you are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:43:02 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync

with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the

transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s

I thought they used NICAM.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian was thinking very hard :
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:43:02 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync

with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the

transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s

I thought they used NICAM.

NICAM is digital!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 1/11/2017 6:47 PM, Me wrote:
On 1/11/2017 4:41 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Hear hear. FM quality is far better and more reliable in my experience.

Depends on where you are.

And depends on which DAB station you're listening to. And how the
transmission processor (like Optimod) is set up - as they are often
different between them. And, of course how much multipath problems you
have with FM.

Be very interesting to see if these DAB haters could always tell which is
which in a properly conducted blind test. One where you couldn't just use
the delay to tell which is which.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync

with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the

transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s

I thought they used NICAM.

correct - that's a digital system

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 1/11/2017 6:47 PM, Me wrote:
On 1/11/2017 4:41 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Hear hear. FM quality is far better and more reliable in my experience.

Depends on where you are.

And depends on which DAB station you're listening to. And how the
transmission processor (like Optimod) is set up - as they are often
different between them. And, of course how much multipath problems you
have with FM.

Be very interesting to see if these DAB haters could always tell which is
which in a properly conducted blind test. One where you couldn't just use
the delay to tell which is which.

souns to me like the digital haters who complained when then BBC started
playing CDs. When it was pointed out the the feeds to the transmitters had
been digital for years the got quite confused.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not that much. I see still some sets use rechargeable and this has to be for
this reason.
Besides, from one manufacturer, recently I heard that usage of digital has
to be over 75 percent before fm will be turned off. Many of the commercial
stations cannot afford the current rates to broadcast on dab in stereo, and
test are still under way with dab plus and many radios cannot get that at
all, including most of the older Pure range and some of the german fitted
car radios.
Also nobody has come up yet with a version of the s tuning knob so blind
and elderly folk can use the current radios without help as there is no
actual knob just buttons.
I think though that when they do switch of, if ever they do it will be a
pirates bonanza. Here in London its already chock full of pirate fm
stations with islamic spoutings, bible bashers, drug funded rave stations
etc, all concreted into the tops of tower blocks fed from band 1 low power t
transmitters beamed to them from other parts of the city.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris B" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 1/11/2017 6:47 PM, Me wrote:
On 1/11/2017 4:41 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Hear hear. FM quality is far better and more reliable in my experience.

Depends on where you are.

And depends on which DAB station you're listening to. And how the
transmission processor (like Optimod) is set up - as they are often
different between them. And, of course how much multipath problems you
have with FM.

Be very interesting to see if these DAB haters could always tell which is
which in a properly conducted blind test. One where you couldn't just use
the delay to tell which is which.

The fact that in boiling mud the announcers frequently sound like the
Aquaphibians off Stingray (even with a decent areal) and the absence of
signal on parts of the A1 not that far outside London for starters.

If you really enjoy the silent bits between programme material then DAB
is definitely for you but if you listen to music it is hopeless.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 17:00, charles wrote:
In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:

There are some good quality stations on the Internet.

can't get those in my car

Yes you can. Smart phone and bluetooth to the in car system - it might
cost you if you don't have all you can eat data but for audio streaming
it gives a fair amount of listening time.

My DAB tuners at home spend all their time on internet radio these days
since they are hopeless as decoding DAB codecs lock up too often.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Two dab radios tuned to the same
station will not be in sync unlike two FM radios

There are some good quality stations on the Internet.

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync with
analogue.

Yes but at least it decodes correctly and has a Hifi bitrate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 16:48:32 UTC, Lee wrote:
On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Fair enough, but I don't listen to (FM) radio at home and DAB is far
superior for Automotive use - maybe that's where the 48% figures are from?

Yeah the 48% are remoaners ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2017 08:51, Brian Gaff wrote:

Besides, from one manufacturer, recently I heard that usage of digital has
to be over 75 percent before fm will be turned off.

Yes I think the figures were when usage reaches 50% a "date for switch
off" will be set - hoping that loads will go out and buy new sets to get
them rapidly up to 75%

I think though that when they do switch of, if ever they do it will be a
pirates bonanza. Here in London its already chock full of pirate fm
stations with islamic spoutings, bible bashers, drug funded rave stations
etc, all concreted into the tops of tower blocks fed from band 1 low power t
transmitters beamed to them from other parts of the city.

There are some advantages to living in the country - I can get BBC
R1,2,3,4 & 1 BBC local about 3 commercial stations and apart from that
the airwaves are very quiet. Another reason I am apprehensive about DAB
because at the moment the signal is minimal.

Brian

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH writes

I have 2 table top DAB radios that run on batteries:

http://amzn.eu/5mECL37
http://amzn.eu/8UHF20O

(Bought them both from Sainsburys. They seem to be quite regularly
discounted to £40ish. I prefer the sound/build/use of the Sony)

I think they both advise against rechargeable batteries in the
instructions, but they both run fine. About 2 months I'd guess, used
maybe 20 minutes each day, using Aldi rechargeable C batteries.

Probably a stupid question, but I see that the Panasonic one's
description says "Whip aerial (FM)".
Does this mean that it/they have some sort of internal aerial for DAB?

SHMBO has an awful Pure DAB radio in the kitchen and has to extend and
adjust the telescopic aerial constantly to hear any music amongst the
squawking choppiness of the output.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 22:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Max Demian was thinking very hard :
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:43:02 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync

with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the

transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s

I thought they used NICAM.

NICAM is digital!

Yebbut it is 'near instantaneous' (whatever that means), so the delays
should be minimal.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2017 11:51, Bill wrote:
In message , RJH writes

I have 2 table top DAB radios that run on batteries:

http://amzn.eu/5mECL37
http://amzn.eu/8UHF20O

(Bought them both from Sainsburys. They seem to be quite regularly
discounted to £40ish. I prefer the sound/build/use of the Sony)

I think they both advise against rechargeable batteries in the
instructions, but they both run fine. About 2 months I'd guess, used
maybe 20 minutes each day, using Aldi rechargeable C batteries.

Probably a stupid question, but I see that the Panasonic one's
description says "Whip aerial (FM)".
Does this mean that it/they have some sort of internal aerial for DAB?

No it means the whip aerial is long enough for FM. DAB is at a somewhat
higher VHF band III ~ 200MHz so about half the FM whip length is needed.

SHMBO has an awful Pure DAB radio in the kitchen and has to extend and
adjust the telescopic aerial constantly to hear any music amongst the
squawking choppiness of the output.

That is normal for DAB. You can make a dedicated aerial for it from some
coax (simplest type) or a dipole loop which will improve things a bit
but it still dissolves into boiling mud when it rains.

In the spirit of DIY. This describes the simplest method that works OK

http://motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/thre...antenna.34914/

Still only as good as the broadcast bitrate though

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm a radio head and to the annoyance of others must always have the
latest radio. although a bit expensive a Roberts Internet Radio Stream
93i consistantly gets the best reviews. its not portable though. But
roberts now have a small portable stream 107. it does FM, DAB and
internet stations (in excess of 20,000 stations world wide to choose from).
we have 'swiss classique' playing all day. all good classical music and
no talking.
it runs off 6 AA batteries which you can conveniently charge in situ.
no i dont have a connection with the company.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 16:59, charles wrote:
In article ,
Lee wrote:
On 11/01/2017 16:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
If you love radio don't buy a DAB

Fair enough, but I don't listen to (FM) radio at home and DAB is far
superior for Automotive use - maybe that's where the 48% figures are from?

and, as have said before, it wasn't until DAB arrived that I could get a
reliable signal on my bedside radio.

I still cannot get a reliable DAB signal downstairs, only upstairs
in the rooms facing North.

Listening to DAB is the radio equivalent of all those nasty
synthetic visual artefacts that seem to be part of 4K tv's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-12, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/01/2017 11:51, Bill wrote:

[20 lines snipped]

SHMBO has an awful Pure DAB radio in the kitchen and has to extend and
adjust the telescopic aerial constantly to hear any music amongst the
squawking choppiness of the output.

That is normal for DAB. You can make a dedicated aerial for it from some
coax (simplest type) or a dipole loop which will improve things a bit
but it still dissolves into boiling mud when it rains.

Except when it doesn't.

If you have some signal then it should make an obvious improvement. But
doubling "no signal" is still "no signal". Parts of the A1 for instance.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2017 11:51, Bill wrote:
In message , RJH writes

I have 2 table top DAB radios that run on batteries:

http://amzn.eu/5mECL37
http://amzn.eu/8UHF20O

(Bought them both from Sainsburys. They seem to be quite regularly
discounted to £40ish. I prefer the sound/build/use of the Sony)

I think they both advise against rechargeable batteries in the
instructions, but they both run fine. About 2 months I'd guess, used
maybe 20 minutes each day, using Aldi rechargeable C batteries.

Probably a stupid question, but I see that the Panasonic one's
description says "Whip aerial (FM)".
Does this mean that it/they have some sort of internal aerial for DAB?

Not so far as I know - FM and DAB share the telescopic aerial.

SHMBO has an awful Pure DAB radio in the kitchen and has to extend and
adjust the telescopic aerial constantly to hear any music amongst the
squawking choppiness of the output.

I suppose it's luck of the drawer/postcode. Both work here (Sheffield)
with a full signal without unfolding the aerial at all.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:43:02 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) was thinking very hard :

The internet - and anything digital - will also be out of sync

with
analogue.

Analogue is also often sent over digital links, to the

transmitters.

and has been since the 1970s

I thought they used NICAM.

And a clue is in the 'Near Instantaneous' bit which was a requirement in
analogue days.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Be very interesting to see if these DAB haters could always tell which
is which in a properly conducted blind test. One where you couldn't
just use the delay to tell which is which.

The fact that in boiling mud the announcers frequently sound like the
Aquaphibians off Stingray (even with a decent areal) and the absence of
signal on parts of the A1 not that far outside London for starters.

As I said before no transmission system is perfect. As you've probably
noticed with your mobile phone - which has a far larger budget for
transmitters. Yet will still have plenty blind spots around the country.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

There are some good quality stations on the Internet.

can't get those in my car

Yes you can. Smart phone and bluetooth to the in car system - it might
cost you if you don't have all you can eat data but for audio streaming
it gives a fair amount of listening time.

You complain about poor DAB reception on the move - but think a phone is
going to be better?

My DAB tuners at home spend all their time on internet radio these days
since they are hopeless as decoding DAB codecs lock up too often.

How do you get internet radio with a DAB tuner?

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Battery life [email protected] Electronics Repair 36 August 4th 14 01:05 AM
UPS battery life Andrew Rossmann Electronics Repair 33 January 10th 11 12:51 AM
lot of vintage mics- CB radios-car radios-wood/bakeliteradios-receivers-mics-transceivers-TUBES-estate sale clearance ANTIQUE AUDIO Electronics Repair 0 July 25th 08 01:11 PM
Battery life Volund Electronics 4 October 5th 04 06:31 PM
Battery life tests Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 September 22nd 04 08:39 PM