Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 16:19:35 +0000, Chris B wrote:

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

No, not really.

I have a DAB radio that takes 6 AA cells, and draws 120-200 mA, both in FM and
DAB modes. (120 mA with the volume at min, 200 at max. volume). This means
roughly 10 hours of listening, using eneloop rechargeables. This is not
acceptable for shed use, far from mains for recharging.

This compares poorly to an old 80's Walkman with an FM-only radio, that does
about 6-10 hours on two used AA cells, used as in "too weak for the GPS to use".
(Its reception is poor, requiring fiddling with the speaker wire and careful
positioning, and also has a fiddly tuning knob.)

A post asking about a less power-hungry DAB+ radio in appropriate German
newsgroups came up with exactly nothing.

Thomas Prufer