Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

On 12/01/2017 11:51, Bill wrote:
In message , RJH writes

I have 2 table top DAB radios that run on batteries:

http://amzn.eu/5mECL37
http://amzn.eu/8UHF20O

(Bought them both from Sainsburys. They seem to be quite regularly
discounted to £40ish. I prefer the sound/build/use of the Sony)

I think they both advise against rechargeable batteries in the
instructions, but they both run fine. About 2 months I'd guess, used
maybe 20 minutes each day, using Aldi rechargeable C batteries.

Probably a stupid question, but I see that the Panasonic one's
description says "Whip aerial (FM)".
Does this mean that it/they have some sort of internal aerial for DAB?

Not so far as I know - FM and DAB share the telescopic aerial.

SHMBO has an awful Pure DAB radio in the kitchen and has to extend and
adjust the telescopic aerial constantly to hear any music amongst the
squawking choppiness of the output.

I suppose it's luck of the drawer/postcode. Both work here (Sheffield)
with a full signal without unfolding the aerial at all.

--
Cheers, Rob