Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

Chris B wrote:

When DAB first came out it was reported that all sets consumed batteries
like it was going out of fashion and as they all used basically the same
chip they were all as bad as one another.

I have an FM radio that sits in the bathroom and gets used for about 30
mins a day. 4 rechargeable C cells last about 3 months or thereabouts.
Direct connection to the mains is not an option.

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

I have had one of these for a few years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-DAB-Digital-Solar-Radio/dp/B003GM4S48/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484153120&sr =1-1&keywords=solar+dab

It comes with a couple of rechargeable AA batteries, though I
have since replaced them with higher capacity cells I had in
stock.

It sits on a south facing windowsill, with the top angled towards
the sun.

During the summer months it manages about an hour a day without
problems, unless there is a prolonged dull spell.

It performs less well in the winter, and as I can get a charging
feed, it tends to stay connected.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK