Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT (a little) DAB radios and battery life

Listening to Radio 4 this morning they did an item on (I think) Norway
and their switch to Digital radio - it appears that by the end of 2017
FM radio switch off in that country will be complete.

Anyway the bloke said that approximately 48% of UK radio listening was
now digital and when this reaches 50% a date will be set for UK FM
switch off.

When DAB first came out it was reported that all sets consumed batteries
like it was going out of fashion and as they all used basically the same
chip they were all as bad as one another.

I have an FM radio that sits in the bathroom and gets used for about 30
mins a day. 4 rechargeable C cells last about 3 months or thereabouts.
Direct connection to the mains is not an option.

Has the design of DAB radios moved on such that it is now possible to
get acceptable performance from disposable or rechargeable C/D
batteries. I'm not keen on bespoke rechargeable as the replacement cost
(even if available in 5/10/15 years time) will doubtless be astronomic.

--
Chris B (News)

Battery life [email protected] Electronics Repair 36 August 4th 14 01:05 AM
UPS battery life Andrew Rossmann Electronics Repair 33 January 10th 11 12:51 AM
lot of vintage mics- CB radios-car radios-wood/bakeliteradios-receivers-mics-transceivers-TUBES-estate sale clearance ANTIQUE AUDIO Electronics Repair 0 July 25th 08 01:11 PM
Battery life Volund Electronics 4 October 5th 04 06:31 PM
Battery life tests Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 September 22nd 04 08:39 PM