Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cars have definitely changed

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 12:17:07 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body parts
then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Morris 10 / Hindustan 10 in 54. Was that the oldest (I can't imagine
it was).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body parts
then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Morris 10 / Hindustan 10 in 54. Was that the oldest (I can't imagine
it was).

Remember MG stands for Morris Garages, and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris. And they've shared the basic mechanicals of 'lesser'
saloons ever since.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 16:10:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body parts
then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Morris 10 / Hindustan 10 in 54. Was that the oldest (I can't imagine
it was).

Remember MG stands for Morris Garages,

Didn't know that.

and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

And they've shared the basic mechanicals of 'lesser'
saloons ever since.

Sure.

As an aside I was watching a 'How it's made' on Nascar cars the other
day. It looked like they were all the same (bits of panel tacked onto
a tubular frame), just with different colours and stickers ... or
maybe this was just one car builder?

That said, if they all have to conform to a very tight spec they might
as well be made in the same factory. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Remember MG stands for Morris Garages,

Didn't know that.

and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Long before that. The first MG was based on a Morris Cowley chassis in the
1920s.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body parts
then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 January 2017 17:43:25 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

They so do. Check out the 1951 Hoffmann.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:28:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Remember MG stands for Morris Garages,

Didn't know that.

and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Long before that. The first MG was based on a Morris Cowley chassis in the
1920s.

Blige!

So, Morris had MG [Morris Garages]{should it now be MGM for 'MG Motor'
g}, Ford had Lotus, Merc had(have) AMG [Aufrecht, Melcher and
Großaspach], BMW had(have) M [Motorsport] ... any others?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:28:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Remember MG stands for Morris Garages,

Didn't know that.

and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Long before that. The first MG was based on a Morris Cowley chassis in the
1920s.

Blige!

So, Morris had MG [Morris Garages]{should it now be MGM for 'MG Motor'
g}, Ford had Lotus,

[Snip]

In the late 1960s there was a Hillman Imp with "Lotus Twin Cam " badge on
the back - seen in motor rally events. The engine tool up much of the rear
seat.

--
IT Administrator
London Members' Centre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:09:59 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
VW Golf genuine ABS sensor £12. Fake sensor £5.

VW do *not* make such parts. They buy it in from someone like Bosch, put
it in VW packaging and charge accordingly. The trick is to buy direct from
Bosch - or whoever makes the sensor.

But not recommended for people like you.

Which means Bosch IS the genuine VW part.

--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 12:50:02 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
VW Golf genuine ABS sensor £12. Fake sensor £5.

VW do *not* make such parts. They buy it in from someone like Bosch,
put it in VW packaging and charge accordingly. The trick is to buy
direct from Bosch - or whoever makes the sensor.

But not recommended for people like you.

The throttle position sensor on a Honda Jazz is
a Bosch product, and it costs over £400, and
you need to do something to the ECU after you
have changed it.

Do you know the cost from Honda and from a Bosch dealer?

Quite likely the ECU has to re-calibrate after a sensor is changed.

Funny, my garage fitted the Golf ABS sensor (genuine part) and didn't charge much over the part cost, so nothing major to be done.

--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 12:21:55 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 06/01/2017 00:44, soup wrote:
On 05/01/2017 21:07, Jeff Layman wrote:

I wonder. I assume you are referring to cutting the engine when
stopping at lights, etc. Sure, it must save fuel, but how much?

Tiff Needel on Fifth gear did a test in town driving (lots of lights
congestion etc) and got the result that it saved north of 1% (exact
figure eludes me). So worth having on a 'city car'.

Friend of mine's is a driving instructor his car has this auto engine
off feature he reckons it's a god-send for his type of driving (lots of
stationery to explain things) and reckons it can save him up to 10% on
his fuel bills

But the battery may need changing more often. It's the number of start
cycles that seems to be important.

This has come up before, and it has been stated that shorter battery life
has not been observed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body
parts then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Austin Metropolitan is a strong contender.

https://goo.gl/RFwTia

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body
parts then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Austin Metropolitan is a strong contender.

https://goo.gl/RFwTia

Oh no, that's verging on cool. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 22:05:37 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Austin and Morris minis.

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Austin Metropolitan is a strong contender.

https://goo.gl/RFwTia

That was a 50s car though, and didn't look much worse than the rest of
the crop from that era.

It was an oddity, a car commissioned by a North American manufacturer
for the North American market but built for them by a foreign company,
only later were Austin allowed to sell it in the UK and some other
markets.
The full story is quite long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan

That article contains this quote
By British standards it looked "awful", according to Autocar, but Nash
were "very pleased with it".

So it raised mixed opinions even then.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body
parts then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Tim

Americans were treated to the Aztec:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek

and the AMC Gremlin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Gremlin

Quote:
"The Gremlin was faster than other subcompacts of the time. Motor Trend
magazine recorded zero to 60 mph (0 to 97 km/h) in 12.6 seconds with
the 232 cu in (3.8 L) engine. "

Shudder.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/17 19:05, T i m wrote:
and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Oh dear. Your ignorance is showing again dear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body parts
then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Oh yes they do

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...86f8353d95.jpg

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A sort of reliant Robin for the yanks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 06:19:10 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 07/01/17 19:05, T i m wrote:
and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Oh dear.

You ok?

Your ignorance is showing again dear.

Mate, you don't seem to have grasped this whole 'discussion' thing
have you and that many people are quite happy to tell the truth and
not go off and Google everything to pretend they knew everything.

Like, because I know you are a left brainer ... and from your history
here (especially recently) your reply was both expected and
predictable (and sad of course). ;-(

Now, I could have corrected your posting elsewhere where you mention
'reliant Robin' because you probably think the term 'reliant' means
it's 'reliable' rather than referring to the manufacturer, 'Reliant'
but I'm not you so I didn't. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. At least it' wasn't as bad as those who say 'Robin Reliant' and
that includes many who really should know better! I wonder if they
would also say 'Corsa Vauxhall' or 'Duke Nissan'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Austin Metropolitan is a strong contender.

https://goo.gl/RFwTia

That was a 50s car though, and didn't look much worse than the rest of
the crop from that era.

Really? Some very handsome UK cars in the '50s. MG Magnette. Riley RM
series. Even the large Fords were OK. Then loads of smaller makers like
Alvis and Lea Francis. Before the elegant offering of Rolls, etc.

The Nash Metropolitan was hideous then as now. A UK designer's attempt at
a scaled down US car incorporating all the worst aspects of them.

The modern equivalent would be those small Japanese pastiches of classic
designs.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:28:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Remember MG stands for Morris Garages,

Didn't know that.

and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Long before that. The first MG was based on a Morris Cowley chassis in the
1920s.

Blige!

So, Morris had MG [Morris Garages]{should it now be MGM for 'MG Motor'
g}, Ford had Lotus, Merc had(have) AMG [Aufrecht, Melcher and
Großaspach], BMW had(have) M [Motorsport] ... any others?

Not really. MG developed into a car maker in its own right in the '30s -
even although by that time it came under the Nuffield wing. With unique
bodies as well as modified mainstream mechanicals.

The others you quote just produce high performance versions of a standard
car.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 11:35:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:28:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Remember MG stands for Morris Garages,

Didn't know that.

and the very first MGs were simply
modified Morris.

Like the MG Metro or before that (Magnet)?

Long before that. The first MG was based on a Morris Cowley chassis in the
1920s.

Blige!

So, Morris had MG [Morris Garages]{should it now be MGM for 'MG Motor'
g}, Ford had Lotus, Merc had(have) AMG [Aufrecht, Melcher and
Großaspach], BMW had(have) M [Motorsport] ... any others?

Not really. MG developed into a car maker in its own right in the '30s -
even although by that time it came under the Nuffield wing. With unique
bodies as well as modified mainstream mechanicals.

The others you quote just produce high performance versions of a standard
car.

Yeahbut so it *was* just a fancy arm of the main production cars (like
the others I mentioned) and I was wondering (as you know cars) if
there were any other makes that had similar, OOI?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Austin Metropolitan is a strong contender.

https://goo.gl/RFwTia

That was a 50s car though, and didn't look much worse than the rest of
the crop from that era.

Really? Some very handsome UK cars in the '50s. MG Magnette. Riley RM
series.

Think of the police Wolseley 6/90s in the old Ealing films. My father had
a 4/44.

Even the large Fords were OK. Then loads of smaller makers like
Alvis and Lea Francis. Before the elegant offering of Rolls, etc.

The Nash Metropolitan was hideous then as now. A UK designer's attempt at
a scaled down US car incorporating all the worst aspects of them.

The modern equivalent would be those small Japanese pastiches of classic
designs.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 11:29:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The Nash Metropolitan was hideous then as now. A UK designer's attempt at
a scaled down US car incorporating all the worst aspects of them.

********, I suppose because it was assembled by Austin you assume it
was designed here as since the days it all went pear shaped in the
late 60's it has become fashionable to knock anything done by BMC and
the firms that were part of it.

The Nash Metropolitan was designed in the US by Americans
with some influences from some larger Nash cars that had an input from
Pininfarina.
Fisher& Ludlow who made the body pressings and Austin who provided
mechanicals and assembly did so purely as contractors , Fisher were
still independent when negotiations started but became part of BMC by
the time of production in1953.
Austin only sold a version for non competing markets from 1956.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Nash Metropolitan was hideous then as now. A UK designer's attempt
at a scaled down US car incorporating all the worst aspects of them.

********, I suppose because it was assembled by Austin you assume it
was designed here as since the days it all went pear shaped in the
late 60's it has become fashionable to knock anything done by BMC and
the firms that were part of it.

You suppose wrong. BMC lost the plot in several different directions - and
before the late '60s. The Farina series being a prime example of an ugly
vehicle badge engineered to produce 5 nearly identical cars.

The Nash Metropolitan was designed in the US by Americans
with some influences from some larger Nash cars that had an input from
Pininfarina.

And Farina refused to have that 'influence' made public. Not surprising
given the hideous result.

Fisher& Ludlow who made the body pressings and Austin who provided
mechanicals and assembly did so purely as contractors , Fisher were
still independent when negotiations started but became part of BMC by
the time of production in1953.
Austin only sold a version for non competing markets from 1956.

If you look at the original Nash concept drawings and what it ended up
looking like in production, you'll see what I mean. I assumed that was by
the design being modified to make it possible to actually make it. US
designers had little experience of monocoque construction so had to leave
it to one who had - ie Austin and Pressed Steel. Just how and where it
went so badly wrong looks wise I dunno.

--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 13:27:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

The Nash Metropolitan was hideous then as now. A UK designer's attempt
at a scaled down US car incorporating all the worst aspects of them.

********, I suppose because it was assembled by Austin you assume it
was designed here as since the days it all went pear shaped in the
late 60's it has become fashionable to knock anything done by BMC

You suppose wrong. BMC lost the plot in several different directions - and
before the late '60s.

Whatever , Still doesn't make your statement
A UK designer's attempt a scaled down US car correct.
It was US designed.

The Nash Metropolitan was designed in the US by Americans
with some influences from some larger Nash cars that had an input from
Pininfarina.

And Farina refused to have that 'influence' made public. Not surprising
given the hideous result.

Not going to dispute that but it doesn't
make your statement.
A UK designer's attempt a scaled down US car correct.
It was US designed.

Fisher& Ludlow who made the body pressings and Austin who provided
mechanicals and assembly did so purely as contractors , Fisher were
still independent when negotiations started but became part of BMC by
the time of production in1953.
Austin only sold a version for non competing markets from 1956.

If you look at the original Nash concept drawings and what it ended up
looking like in production, you'll see what I mean. I assumed that was by
the design being modified to make it possible to actually make it. US
designers had little experience of monocoque construction so had to leave
it to one who had - ie Austin and Pressed Steel. Just how and where it
went so badly wrong looks wise I dunno.

I wonder if it looked so bad from American eyes for whom its US
designer styled it , tastes across the Atlantic can be quite
different.
Pressed steel had an interesting genesis, they had started as a joint
venture between Morris and the Budd corporation of the US but due to
differences became an independent company before WW2 with Morris
having to relinquish its shareholding after a court ruling. Budd
later sold their controlling interest in 1935 and it became a British
company rather than a joint UK US one.
Budd had developed monocoque construction in the 30's and one of the
first mass produced vehicles to use it over there was the Nash 600 in
1941,by the time of the Metropolitan a couple of other models had
followed so I don't think they had as little experience as your post
is trying to make out.
Talking about design tastes varying much of Budds business was
building Railroad cars and for a brief period after WW2 the Railroads
of the US and Canada purchased many Budd railroad Cars in their trade
mark stainless steel and corrugate finish and incorporating a lot of
their welding techniques that made the body far more of a load
bearing unit those previously, some are still in use now in Canada.
Budd wanted to break into the post WW2 British market and had this
built as a demonstrater which toured the UK and Ireland.
http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/atta...8&d=1448817913
http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...ilver-Princess
Like the Nash Met it just looks strange and not quite right but it is
interesting to see who they wanted to build it .
Pressed Steel , the companies may have had a divorce but it looks like
they kept close relations .

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body
parts then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Personally I think this one gets close and is a current car too.
http://auto-database.com/image/chrys...riess-1436.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Don't some vehicles sold under different badges share *any* body
parts then (I thought they did)?

Austin and Morris minis.

Yeah, I knew about them ...

Austin, MG, Vanden-plas 1100's

Didn't know about them. Mind you, I don't suppose there is anything
wrong with having an MG badged 1100 as there isn't a VDP badged
Allegro. ;-)

Um... https://goo.gl/images/UaPLZW

Cars don't get much uglier (Nissan Juke excepted)

Personally I think this one gets close and is a current car too.
http://auto-database.com/image/chrys...riess-1436.jpg

You guys aren't even trying.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1951+hoffman

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:39:40 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

You guys aren't even trying.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1951+hoffman

Ooh that's bad. It looks like some kind of insect.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

You guys aren't even trying.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1951+hoffman

Ooh that's bad. It looks like some kind of insect.

If you think it looks bad you should see it drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y16ObVRvgOE
That doesn't show its best party trick though - due to the way the steering works, it tends to go into corners and be impossible to straighten up again.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 18:08:58 UTC, rick wrote:

The cost of this must be very high (I'm not paying) .... just as well
JEEPS didn't have software alarms in WW2

So how much is it not costing you to not have a Jeep? for most of a month?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

You guys aren't even trying.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1951+hoffman

Ooh that's bad. It looks like some kind of insect.

If you think it looks bad you should see it drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y16ObVRvgOE
That doesn't show its best party trick though - due to the way the
steering works, it tends to go into corners and be impossible to
straighten up again.

NT

I think I'll keep that off my bucket list.

--
Davey.