Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cars have definitely changed

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 12:21:55 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 06/01/2017 00:44, soup wrote:
On 05/01/2017 21:07, Jeff Layman wrote:

I wonder. I assume you are referring to cutting the engine when
stopping at lights, etc. Sure, it must save fuel, but how much?

Tiff Needel on Fifth gear did a test in town driving (lots of lights
congestion etc) and got the result that it saved north of 1% (exact
figure eludes me). So worth having on a 'city car'.

Friend of mine's is a driving instructor his car has this auto engine
off feature he reckons it's a god-send for his type of driving (lots of
stationery to explain things) and reckons it can save him up to 10% on
his fuel bills

But the battery may need changing more often. It's the number of start
cycles that seems to be important.

This has come up before, and it has been stated that shorter battery life
has not been observed.