Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default trustpilot

'We care about your opinion and want to improve our service please leave
a review on trustpilot' or some such thing.

A boiler part has not arrived. I paid online 10 days ago and have heard
nothing since. I get no reply to my emails. When I look at trustpilot I
see that 9% of the reviews give the lowest possible score of 1/5 stars.
30% are less than 5 stars and of the 5star reviews an awful lot of them
lack any of the incidental details that would convince you that they are
genuine. On this basis trustpilot give the company an overall score of
'Great!'.

I have seen this before. Trustpilot is not an open, caring, sharing,
consumer empowerment group but a marketing tool for businesses. If they
are good businesses it's fine but when they are shoddy businesses it is
very disappointing to see how they work. I for one will be very
suspicious of any business which uses trustpilot in future.

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:48:19 +0000, TimW wrote:

[...]

Well since TP only makes its money from the businesses that it is
"advertising" it is hardly surprising that it doesn't give any of them
a bad score. Total waste of time (or worse) IMHO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

Yes - it's like Checkatrade.

The only 2 review sites I know of that aren't gash are Tripadvisor and
Amazon (the shop).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 14:28, Tim Watts wrote:

The only 2 review sites I know of that aren't gash are Tripadvisor and
Amazon (the shop).

You have to be wary with Amazon.

Often a manufacturer of electronic boxes/TVs will have multiple models
with different capabilities.

Amazon will group all the reviews together so the glowing reviews for
the top of the range model will be applied to the listing for the lower
specified model which may not even use the same technology.

This policy holds when a manufacturer replaces an old respected model
with a piece of crap. The reviews for both will be combined to made the
lesser model appear better than expected.

I have had a negative review about Amazon marketplace sellers rejected
for some unknown Amazon policy reason. I was sent out of date items and
my complaint about the seller was this fact.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:28:37 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

I once saw several - I think on the Philips site - saying that a
particular product was rubbish. I was impressed with their honesty!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes - it's like Checkatrade.

And the latter are in league with East Sussex Trading standards
providing "Trusted Traders"!!!

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-2...claims/8053954

and Amazon (the shop).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

When are you going to get it through your stupid Australian head that this
is a UK group and nobody gives a flying **** about your ******** of a
country?
Few here know the name of your Prime Minister and even fewer care.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only 2 review sites I know of that aren't gash are Tripadvisor and
Amazon (the shop).

Sadly even TripAdvisor seem to have lost their neutrality now they are taking bookings for self catering apartments (and hence have a financial incentive in increasing bookings). I posted a review reporting ants in the kitchen and the total lack of interest by the owner and guess what - within a few days my review was removed!

In protest I don't waste my time posting on TA anymore. I find booking.com reviews are now actually better and more accurate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 10/12/16 14:28, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - it's like Checkatrade.

The only 2 review sites I know of that aren't gash are Tripadvisor and
Amazon (the shop).

I don't trust Tripadvisor, I find booking.com much better.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:53:34 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

Didn't you just tell me off for responding to him?

--
I've been charged with murder for killing a man with sandpaper. To be honest I only intended to rough him up a bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 18:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

[..]

When are you going to get it through your stupid Australian head that this
is a UK group and nobody gives a flying **** about your ******** of a
country?
Few here know the name of your Prime Minister and even fewer care.

More angry, OT, xenophobic ranting from our ukip contingent. I suppose
it's Saturday night.
TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 00:03:50 -0000, TimW wrote:

On 10/12/16 18:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

[..]

When are you going to get it through your stupid Australian head that this
is a UK group and nobody gives a flying **** about your ******** of a
country?
Few here know the name of your Prime Minister and even fewer care.

More angry, OT, xenophobic ranting from our ukip contingent. I suppose
it's Saturday night.
TW

You say that like xenophobia is a bad thing. Explain why in at least 100 words.

--
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/16 02:03, TimW wrote:
On 10/12/16 18:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

[..]

When are you going to get it through your stupid Australian head that
this
is a UK group and nobody gives a flying **** about your ******** of a
country?
Few here know the name of your Prime Minister and even fewer care.

More angry, OT, xenophobic ranting from our ukip contingent. I suppose
it's Saturday night.

More xenophopic ranting from our Remoaners.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 20:55, DJC wrote:
On 10/12/16 14:28, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - it's like Checkatrade.

The only 2 review sites I know of that aren't gash are Tripadvisor and
Amazon (the shop).

I don't trust Tripadvisor, I find booking.com much better.

Thank you - noted...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

That's hardly a fault of TA (or its processes)

tim

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

as they get a new one every three weeks, they don't exactly make it easy for
us :-)

tim

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
I have had a negative review about Amazon marketplace sellers rejected
for some unknown Amazon policy reason. I was sent out of date items and
my complaint about the seller was this fact.

That's another problem with Amazon - people commenting on sellers in the
reviews of the product. 'Arrived fast' or 'Packaging was awful' are no good
in reviews of the product where they could have bought it from dozens of
marketplace sellers and we aren't told which one. There's a separate seller
review section but many people don't use it.

Still, it's better than ebay where there often aren't reviews of the
products at all (and if there are they're usually generic). It would be
handy to have specific seller+item reviews, particularly for all the Chinese
merchants flogging cheap tat - all the sellers claim to be selling similar
items, but they're made in dozens of different factories and some of them
are worse than others.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo
wrote:
alan_m wrote:
I have had a negative review about Amazon marketplace sellers rejected
for some unknown Amazon policy reason. I was sent out of date items and
my complaint about the seller was this fact.

That's another problem with Amazon - people commenting on sellers in the
reviews of the product. 'Arrived fast' or 'Packaging was awful' are no
good in reviews of the product where they could have bought it from
dozens of marketplace sellers and we aren't told which one.

[Snip]

If the best someone can say about an item was that it arrived fast, then,
by implication, they have nothing good to say about the product.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2016 17:40, charles wrote:
In article , Theo
wrote:

That's another problem with Amazon - people commenting on sellers in the
reviews of the product. 'Arrived fast' or 'Packaging was awful' are no
good in reviews of the product where they could have bought it from
dozens of marketplace sellers and we aren't told which one.

How many people believe they are buying from Amazon rather than a third
party seller?

[Snip]

If the best someone can say about an item was that it arrived fast, then,
by implication, they have nothing good to say about the product.

Saying that it arrived fast gives an indication that the seller and
product is in the UK rather than from some Chinese sellers that claim UK
stock and a 2 day delivery whereas in reality the goods arrive 4 to 6
weeks later in jiffy bags with a Chinese customs declaration.

My Ebay feedback to sellers is generic and of one of two stock phrases.
I've given up reviewing anything on Amazon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 10/12/16 13:48, TimW wrote:
[...]

It is because their system can be rorted like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Theo
wrote:
alan_m wrote:
I have had a negative review about Amazon marketplace sellers rejected
for some unknown Amazon policy reason. I was sent out of date items and
my complaint about the seller was this fact.

That's another problem with Amazon - people commenting on sellers in the
reviews of the product. 'Arrived fast' or 'Packaging was awful' are no
good in reviews of the product where they could have bought it from
dozens of marketplace sellers and we aren't told which one.

[Snip]

If the best someone can say about an item was that it arrived fast, then,
by implication, they have nothing good to say about the product.

Even sillier than you usually manage. Plenty who say that will
have found that the item matches the description well and so
there is no need to say anything except that it arrived fast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:06:03 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

Saying that it arrived fast gives an indication that the seller and
product is in the UK rather than from some Chinese sellers that claim UK
stock and a 2 day delivery whereas in reality the goods arrive 4 to 6
weeks later in jiffy bags with a Chinese customs declaration.

My Ebay feedback to sellers is generic and of one of two stock phrases.
I've given up reviewing anything on Amazon.

I'm fairly fed up with the tell us how good we are, are you satisfied
, how can we improve your purchasing experience , surveys anyway.
It has become a whole industry in itself and someone somewhere is
making money out of it and putting another overhead on the costs of
running a business and in most instances an unnecessary one.
We have got to the stage that a lot of online business triggers an
enquiry to report back "How did we do, have I been good" in a manner
reminiscent of a toddler seeking praise and comfort from Mummy because
it has got through the day without soiling its nappy.

If the purchase is for some reasonable complicated piece of hardware
that most will not be purchasing frequently like a TV there is some
justification to seek out peoples opinions, but asking how a customer
feels about something mundane like I was asked how I felt about some
vacuum cleaner bags is ridiculous, I'm sorry John Lewis but they are
just vacuum cleaner bags and I find it difficult to get excited over
such things. You stocked them ,the price was competitive, I purchased
,you delivered, Job done .
I don't want to hear from you again about it. If for any reason they
or your supply of such fell short of expectation then I would have
been in touch.
I suppose the next stage is that some bright spark will come up with a
scheme for the purchaser to " reward Peter who picked your package
and Angie in accounts who approved your purchase by ticking this box"
" Ticking this Box means that you are sending each employee a tip,
please note that 20% of it is kept by us to cover the cost of
fulfilling your generosity.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:48, TimW wrote:
A boiler part has not arrived. I paid online 10 days ago and have heard
nothing since.

Next time use http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp - or wasn't it something
he does?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 20:43, simon mitchelmore wrote:
The only 2 review sites I know of that aren't gash are
Tripadvisor and Amazon (the shop).

Sadly even TripAdvisor seem to have lost their neutrality now they
are taking bookings for self catering apartments (and hence have a
financial incentive in increasing bookings). I posted a review
reporting ants in the kitchen and the total lack of interest by the
owner and guess what - within a few days my review was removed!

I tried to submit an "excellent" review for a self-catering apartment,
but because I didn't have a Trip Advisor, Facebook, or Twitter account
it wouldn't accept my review.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/16 22:50, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/12/2016 13:48, TimW wrote:
A boiler part has not arrived. I paid online 10 days ago and have heard
nothing since.

Next time use http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp - or wasn't it something
he does?

Andy

It was a Grant Timer. A crappy little clock which they sell for £75 - lol!
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:48, TimW wrote:

I have seen this before. Trustpilot is not an open, caring, sharing,
consumer empowerment group but a marketing tool for businesses. If they
are good businesses it's fine but when they are shoddy businesses it is
very disappointing to see how they work. I for one will be very
suspicious of any business which uses trustpilot in future.

Trust Pilot regularly called me up (before I blocked them) trying to
persuade me to pay for their services and how trustworthy and credible
the reviews were seen as being by potential customers and that
trustpilot reviews commanded complete customer confidence as they
couldn't be manipulated and that they were the best thing in the world
ever and only a fool would not want to use them...
To which I always pointed out their quite appalling 3 stars out of 5
which based on what they'd just told me meant there is no way I'd ever
consider using them.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.trustpilot.com