Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Topical problem

Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

G-cramped to a gate post or something. Then axial saw cuts , length
dependent on diameter reduction required. Cuts in both cross-axes, pairs
of cuts, chisselling out in-between , spanish windlass to compress to
insert in the stand
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Can you just whittle it with a stanley knife? Ditto multi tool? AG?

Hold it in your B&D workmate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 13:08, N_Cook wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

G-cramped to a gate post or something. Then axial saw cuts , length
dependent on diameter reduction required. Cuts in both cross-axes, pairs
of cuts, chisselling out in-between , spanish windlass to compress to
insert in the stand

I used a power plane

makes a mess, but works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10-Dec-16 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

I would have thought that the trunk being too large to fit into the
stand might suggest that the tree is larger than the stand is designed
to support safely.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 10-Dec-16 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

I would have thought that the trunk being too large to fit into the stand
might suggest that the tree is larger than the stand is designed to support
safely.

And the person acquiring the tree is just trying to impress. FFS, would you
post to a newsgroup if your stupidity put you in his position?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

I was presented with a tree and a fairly ropey old hand saw[1] yesterday
and proceeded to lop the end off and then various lumps and branches to
make it fit into a stand without any great effort on a lounge floor. The
tree was still bagged which made it easier to handle, but the wood was
so soft that it presented no great problems.

[1] A random second hand one I've collected up and stashed away for
random yard work. If I'd thought of it sooner I'd have said bring the
bow-saw that was under it.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2016 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Whilst not ideal on damp timber, the good old fashioned angle grinder
(with a coarse sanding disk of course) removes material pretty quickly
and safely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 14:19, Nightjar wrote:
On 10-Dec-16 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

I would have thought that the trunk being too large to fit into the
stand might suggest that the tree is larger than the stand is designed
to support safely.

not really. the stands work fine with bigger trees
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 10-Dec-16 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter, please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to
be done outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with
raw timber, and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood
working tools.

I would have thought that the trunk being too large to fit into the
stand might suggest that the tree is larger than the stand is designed
to support safely.

It's the same height as I normally get. It just seems to bulge out at the
bottom of the trunk more than I've ever seen. Goes to almost twice the
diameter in a short distance. But don't want to reduce the height.

Did a tree run yesterday and collected three all the same size. I've a
feeling this one isn't the one I selected myself ;-)

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 10-Dec-16 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter, please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to
be done outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with
raw timber, and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood
working tools.

I would have thought that the trunk being too large to fit into the
stand might suggest that the tree is larger than the stand is designed
to support safely.

It's the same height as I normally get. It just seems to bulge out at the
bottom of the trunk more than I've ever seen. Goes to almost twice the
diameter in a short distance. But don't want to reduce the height.

Did a tree run yesterday and collected three all the same size. I've a
feeling this one isn't the one I selected myself ;-)

I think the *low needle drop* type are grafted to other stock. You may
be struggling with that.

A draw knife works well if you can stop the trunk moving towards you.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:03, newshound wrote:
On 12/10/2016 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Whilst not ideal on damp timber, the good old fashioned angle grinder
(with a coarse sanding disk of course) removes material pretty quickly
and safely.

When I had that problem last year, I cut the base as square as feasible
and stood it on a circle of 18mm ply, screwed through from the bottom
with a few big screws, intending to use wedges to adjust for any
deviation from vertical (which proved unnecessary). A couple of arris
rail brackets were also added for good measure.
The ply fitted into a bucket, which was filled with MOT to give it some
ballast (no doubt sand etc would do fine), then the whole lot was hidden
with Xmas paper etc.

It held fine and, importantly, nobody (ie SWMBO) saw it as an unsightly
bodge.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Ah.

A draw knife works well if you can stop the trunk moving towards you.

If it were any normal bit of wood I'd manage. ;-) Just not used to working
with the raw stuff. Don't have a draw knife.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

How much are we talking about?

Do your wood working tools include a power planer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

..- -. --. .-.. . / --. .-. .. -. -.. . .-.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Makes more sense to diy a better stand so it will work for future trees
with no effort.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"grjw" wrote in message ...

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Makes more sense to diy a better stand so it will work for future trees
with no effort.

Makes even more sense to stick with your original rod speed nym.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Have you got a draw knife?

If not a plane set on an aggressive cut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somebody not a million miles from here, according to the news I heard the
other day has utilised his green wheelie bin to support his outdoor
Christmas tree, though he has apparently had to use three guy ropes to stop
it wandering off.

I'm assuming you are though, in fact wanting to use this tree indoors.

One of the problems with this idea is that inside under the outer bark you
often find the wood is quite soft and not very strong, so whether you want
to go ahead is up to you.
I once did this many years ago simply by sawing a known depth cut all the
way around, then sawing down to it from the end so it looked a bit like
a50p coin effect, then used a chisel to round the corners to fit the base.
as I say it was still a bit fragile, as the tree was rather top heavy and
kind of bled where it had no bark.
These days I'm a paid up member of the Bah Humbug society when it comes to
Christmas decor!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:50:28 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please.

Alternative approach: ditch the stand and jigsaw an appropriately sized hole in the lounge floor. Insert tree. Hammer in wedges to hold tree.

The hole will come in handy for running cables later.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter, please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to
be done outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with
raw timber, and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood
working tools.

Have you got a draw knife?

If not a plane set on an aggressive cut.

Ended up using a sharp chisel and mallet, and the multi-tool to saw
through knots. Easy enough. I'm sure anyone used to working with 'green'
wood wouldn't have had a problem. I'm not. Don't even have any trees in
this small garden.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
On 12/10/2016 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

Whilst not ideal on damp timber, the good old fashioned angle grinder
(with a coarse sanding disk of course) removes material pretty quickly
and safely.

Angle grinder !=safety

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.solarimpulse.com/adventure

--
My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our local pet shop and they were £70! Blow this, I thought, I can get one cheaper off the web.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 10:50:28 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

1. Purchase a small folding pruning saw.
2. Grip wet resiny freezing cold tree trunk in one bare hand.
3. Hold pruning saw in other and hack away at trunk.
4. Switch hands at regular intervals to ensure both get equally numb, wet and coated in resin.
5. Get wife to drive you to A&E.

To be fair, the wound inflicted by a pruning saw looks worse than it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 11:27:33 UTC, Halmyre wrote:
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 10:50:28 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

1. Purchase a small folding pruning saw.
2. Grip wet resiny freezing cold tree trunk in one bare hand.

He really should put it between his legs and setup a camera to record the event.

3. Hold pruning saw in other and hack away at trunk.
4. Switch hands at regular intervals to ensure both get equally numb, wet and coated in resin.
5. Get wife to drive you to A&E.

To be fair, the wound inflicted by a pruning saw looks worse than it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter, please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have
to be done outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working
with raw timber, and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop
wood working tools.

1. Purchase a small folding pruning saw. 2. Grip wet resiny freezing
cold tree trunk in one bare hand.

He really should put it between his legs and setup a camera to record
the event.

Really Dave. Surely as a lab technician you know one of the primary rule
of H&S - always cut in the direction away from your body? Or does that
explain your brain damage?

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 13:56:17 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter, please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have
to be done outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working
with raw timber, and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop
wood working tools.

1. Purchase a small folding pruning saw. 2. Grip wet resiny freezing
cold tree trunk in one bare hand.

He really should put it between his legs and setup a camera to record
the event.

Really Dave. Surely as a lab technician you know one of the primary rule
of H&S - always cut in the direction away from your body?

and what would stop you from doing that exactly in the above. ?

And you should know as the ****** you are that you can pull on your cock away from you and then pull towards you.

Or does that
explain your brain damage?

your brain damage is in your penis thought as much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/12/2016 12:35, Richard wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message

On 10-Dec-16 10:50 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the
diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw
timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

I would have thought that the trunk being too large to fit into the
stand might suggest that the tree is larger than the stand is designed
to support safely.

And the person acquiring the tree is just trying to impress. FFS, would
you post to a newsgroup if your stupidity put you in his position?

I'll see if I can put him in touch with that receptionist that gave me a
hand job in the pub car park on last years Christmas works do.

The clumsy bitch removed a fair bit of bark from my trunk.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
"Nightjar" wrote in message

[...]

Long finger nails?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:

ARW writes

The clumsy bitch removed a fair bit of bark from my trunk.

Long finger nails?

Deliberately making her mark ...