Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M Scott M is offline

Default Topical problem

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Xmas tree trunk is too big to fit my stand. Ways of reducing the diameter,
please. Tree is too big to clamp in my vice so will have to be done
outside freehand, as it were. Not really used to working with raw timber,
and don't possess an axe. Just the usual workshop wood working tools.

I was presented with a tree and a fairly ropey old hand saw[1] yesterday
and proceeded to lop the end off and then various lumps and branches to
make it fit into a stand without any great effort on a lounge floor. The
tree was still bagged which made it easier to handle, but the wood was
so soft that it presented no great problems.

[1] A random second hand one I've collected up and stashed away for
random yard work. If I'd thought of it sooner I'd have said bring the
bow-saw that was under it.

--
Scott