Sparks

Default Long Masonry Drill Bits

Good Evening all!

I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.

The longer the better!

The longest on I currently have is 400mm, and that's too short...

I don't have an SDS drill, just a "normal" hammer type

Any idea where I could get longer bits?

1,000mm would be nice, just in case!!

Sparks...

(It's for running an alarm cable through)

Sparks

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
Good Evening all!

I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.

OK, on the Screwfix site, I have found this
http://tinyurl.com/3e8rs

It is a 1000mm 10mm SDS Plus bit

Although it is SDS, will it still fit in a normal chuck designed for
standard round drill bits?

(Like a drill that takes these?
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/15/15246_l.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/2mldm )

Thanks!!

Sparks...

Gary

Sparks scribbled :
Although it is SDS, will it still fit in a normal chuck designed for
standard round drill bits?

No it won't fit in a standard chuck, for starters it wont centre so you will
end up with a drilling circle of about 300mm by the time you get to the end
with the wobble!
Pick up a cheap SDS drill, you won't regret it if you drill masonary often.
--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

Sparks

"Gary" wrote in message
Sparks scribbled :
Although it is SDS, will it still fit in a normal chuck designed for
standard round drill bits?

No it won't fit in a standard chuck, for starters it wont centre so you

will
end up with a drilling circle of about 300mm by the time you get to the

end
with the wobble!
Pick up a cheap SDS drill, you won't regret it if you drill masonary

often.

OK, is there an adaptor that can be bought to change a normal drill into SDS
Plus?

Sparks...

enuff

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

"Gary" wrote in message
Sparks scribbled :
Although it is SDS, will it still fit in a normal chuck designed for
standard round drill bits?

No it won't fit in a standard chuck, for starters it wont centre so you

will
end up with a drilling circle of about 300mm by the time you get to the

end
with the wobble!
Pick up a cheap SDS drill, you won't regret it if you drill masonary

often.

OK, is there an adaptor that can be bought to change a normal drill into

SDS
Plus?

Sparks...

Nope, SDS is a totally different principal to a "hammer" drill. Google the
group and you'll find 101 threads about SDS and how it works etc. All I can
say is a bought a semi-decent Bosch SDS drill a year ago and everyone I know
has borrowed it! It puts holes in stone, concrete etc like butter and with
chisel attachments it has lifted light tarmac and put a hole through a 30"
wall, took a bit of time ;-)

There is no way I'd contemplate a hole more than a few inches deep in
stonework without SDS. Hire the kit for the first job, prob. cost about £30,
then buy if you think you have a use long term.

Tony

Sparks

Nope, SDS is a totally different principal to a "hammer" drill. Google the
group and you'll find 101 threads about SDS and how it works etc. All I

can
say is a bought a semi-decent Bosch SDS drill a year ago and everyone I

know
has borrowed it! It puts holes in stone, concrete etc like butter and with
chisel attachments it has lifted light tarmac and put a hole through a 30"
wall, took a bit of time ;-)

There is no way I'd contemplate a hole more than a few inches deep in
stonework without SDS. Hire the kit for the first job, prob. cost about

£30,
then buy if you think you have a use long term.

Ok, thanks for the advise!

I take it an SDS Plus drill bit is not going to fit into an SDS drill such
as
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2370793470

Sparks...

enuff

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

SDS plus should fit this fine, its SDS MAX that is the "big boys" stuff. But
quite frankly a £22 quick SDS drill? stick a "0" on that and its more like
it. I bought mine for about £180 in a deal at Jewsons, you can pay less or a
lot more depending on what you want and how much use it will get.

For a a 1 metre deep hole you prob. need to look at SDS max so I'd ring
Hewdon or HSS first before buying anything. A SDS Max with a 1m core drill
could cost many, many hundreds to buy.

Sparks

SDS plus should fit this fine, its SDS MAX that is the "big boys" stuff.
But
quite frankly a £22 quick SDS drill? stick a "0" on that and its more like
it. I bought mine for about £180 in a deal at Jewsons, you can pay less or

lot more depending on what you want and how much use it will get.

For a a 1 metre deep hole you prob. need to look at SDS max so I'd ring
Hewdon or HSS first before buying anything. A SDS Max with a 1m core drill
could cost many, many hundreds to buy.

It won't be a meter long (Well I hope not!!

The stuff I am drilling seems to be pretty soft
My Bosh cordless 12v hammer drill went in 400mm like butter!

I think it is sandstone, but am not too sure

Sparks...

Niall

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:06:36 -0000, "enuff"
wrote:

"Sparks" wrote in message
. ..

I take it an SDS Plus drill bit is not going to fit into an SDS drill such
as
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2370793470

Sparks...

SDS plus should fit this fine, its SDS MAX that is the "big boys" stuff. But
quite frankly a £22 quick SDS drill? stick a "0" on that and its more like
it. I bought mine for about £180 in a deal at Jewsons, you can pay less or a
lot more depending on what you want and how much use it will get.

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't
suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10 times
the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

--
Niall
Sparks

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't
suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10 times
the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!

What is the difference between SDS and SDS Plus anyway?
If they all fit into the same drills, why the two types?

Sparks...

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Sparks wrote:
I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.

The longer the better!

The longest on I currently have is 400mm, and that's too short...

I don't have an SDS drill, just a "normal" hammer type

Any idea where I could get longer bits?

A decent tool shop will have 'special' bits which have a thread on them on
to which goes an extension - or as many as you want. The bit can also be
used without the extension(s). The extensions are the same size for a
number of larger bits. I think they're more like 12mm, though.

They used to be in the sheds, but haven't seen them for a while - although
I wouldn't be looking since I've gone SDS.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Chris Oates

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't
suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10 times
the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!

get yourself down to Woolworths - they
sell that drill for £29.99

Sparks

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't
suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10 times
the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!

get yourself down to Woolworths - they
sell that drill for £29.99

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!

How about this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2371252 982
http://tinyurl.com/2t3dy

Sparks...

Sparks

The stuff I am drilling seems to be pretty soft
My Bosh cordless 12v hammer drill went in 400mm like butter!

I think it is sandstone, but am not too sure

Just found a place down the road that has 300mm (normal) bits with a
threaded end and the extension bits, it however fails to mention the length
of the extension!!

Will go down there tomorrow and see if it will do!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sparks...

Sparks

The stuff I am drilling seems to be pretty soft
My Bosh cordless 12v hammer drill went in 400mm like butter!

I think it is sandstone, but am not too sure

Just found a place down the road that has 300mm (normal) bits with a
threaded end and the extension bits, it however fails to mention the

length
of the extension!!

Will go down there tomorrow and see if it will do!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sparks...

....and just found this on TLC too!!
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FX101000.html

Will go there tomorrow!!

Sparks...

Chris Oates

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't
suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10

times
the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!

get yourself down to Woolworths - they
sell that drill for £29.99

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2371252 982
http://tinyurl.com/2t3dy

all these 650-850W SDS rotostop drills are the same
drill
the Woolies one has those attachments + a chuck to take
standard drills + spare motor brushes + 5 year gntee

Sparks

get yourself down to Woolworths - they
sell that drill for £29.99

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2371252 982
http://tinyurl.com/2t3dy

all these 650-850W SDS rotostop drills are the same
drill
the Woolies one has those attachments + a chuck to take
standard drills + spare motor brushes + 5 year gntee

OK, is that just pretty much any Woolworths, or only really huge ones!

Sparks...

Andrew Mawson

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
Good Evening all!

I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.

The longer the better!

The longest on I currently have is 400mm, and that's too short...

I don't have an SDS drill, just a "normal" hammer type

Any idea where I could get longer bits?

1,000mm would be nice, just in case!!

Sparks...

(It's for running an alarm cable through)

Screwfix do a range of SDS drills 1 metre long in that sort of size - it is
perfectly feasable to saw off the SDS bit and fit it in a standard chuck as
the drill shank is relatively soft, however I would strongly recommend
Screwfix's FERM £29.99 rotostop sds drill - I bought one as a stop gap for
chiseling, but find it is remarkably solid for the money (and guaranteed for
3 years !!!)

Andrew Mawson

Chris Oates

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

get yourself down to Woolworths - they
sell that drill for £29.99

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2371252 982
http://tinyurl.com/2t3dy

all these 650-850W SDS rotostop drills are the same
drill
the Woolies one has those attachments + a chuck to take
standard drills + spare motor brushes + 5 year gntee

OK, is that just pretty much any Woolworths, or only really huge ones!

Mine is a tiny one, Woolies that is.

Michael Chare

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
Good Evening all!

I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.

The longer the better!

The longest on I currently have is 400mm, and that's too short...

I don't have an SDS drill, just a "normal" hammer type

Any idea where I could get longer bits?

What I have is a Rawlplug Durium Rotary Masonary Drill bit which has a screw
thread. This attaches to a Rawlplug Durium/Vibroto Extension Sleeve which is
23cm long, Catalogue No 83-502. I have two of these.

I can add as many extensions sleeves as I like as each extension sleeve has both
a male and female end. Works with my normal B&D hammer drill. Purchased in the
mid 70s.

Michael Chare

John Rumm

Sparks wrote:

What is the difference between SDS and SDS Plus anyway?
If they all fit into the same drills, why the two types?

SDS Plus seems to indicate drills that can do rotation stop (i.e. hammer
only) - but the terminology seems a bit vague between manufacturers!

--
Cheers,

John.

Jerry Built

John Rumm wrote:
Sparks wrote:

What is the difference between SDS and SDS Plus anyway?
If they all fit into the same drills, why the two types?

SDS Plus seems to indicate drills that can do rotation stop
(i.e. hammer only) - but the terminology seems a bit vague
between manufacturers!

Given that no-one here knows what "SDS" indicates, I should say
most terminology used by the "experts" seems vague!

J.B.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Jerry Built ] wrote:
Given that no-one here knows what "SDS" indicates, I should say
most terminology used by the "experts" seems vague!

I remember someone here giving chapter and verse on what the initials
stand for in German. A Google search should soon find it if you're really
interested.

IIRC, it refers to the keyless bit change idea rather than the hammer
action - I have a Bosch jigsaw also labelled SDS. So Special Drill System
it ain't.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
David Moodie

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't
suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10

times
the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!

get yourself down to Woolworths - they
sell that drill for £29.99

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=2371252 982
http://tinyurl.com/2t3dy

Sparks...

This is pretty much the same drill that has been offered by B&Q, homebase
and Argos all for around about £30, For occasional use I would say that its
OK, the only drawback being that IIRC it weighs in at 5kg, which you will
soon feel if you are using it a lot.

Its a little ironic that the e-bay offerings will probably work out more
expensive once the P&P for this thing is added in :-)

cheers

David

Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Swarfless drill bits Alex UK diy 2 August 14th 03 10:12 AM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM
Long drill bits chris French UK diy 0 July 5th 03 08:29 AM