Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a plug

Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

Those kind of connectors are a bit of a pain: there are one or two barbs
that you need to compress to pull the pin out.

You might have some luck with the tools designed to remove pins from PC
power supply cables, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phobya-PSU...l/191429316147

- they might do a better job than poking at it with a screwdriver.
Or else you could improvise a similar contraption.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ writes:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

The contacts are crimped on to the cable ends and then pushed
into the back of the shell, where they lock in. Some shells
are designed so the contacts can be unlocked (sometimes
with a special tool). I can't tell from your photos if that's
the case with yours, but it seems unlikely the mirror would
have been designed with that specific requirement in mind.

Do you really need to get it off? If so, the easiest way
may be to cut right through the cable, and then join it up
afterwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ writes:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

The contacts are crimped on to the cable ends and then pushed
into the back of the shell, where they lock in. Some shells
are designed so the contacts can be unlocked (sometimes
with a special tool). I can't tell from your photos if that's
the case with yours, but it seems unlikely the mirror would
have been designed with that specific requirement in mind.

Do you really need to get it off?

It will make repair a lot easier.

If so, the easiest way
may be to cut right through the cable, and then join it up
afterwards.

That's "plan B". ;-) Hoping just to remove the individual wires from the
plug though if it's not too hard.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 11/09/2016 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

There are various tools designed to do this, search Ebay for "Terminal
Release Tool Set", but not cost effective for a one-off job.
As the other poster says, you may be able to fashion something similar
from the pictures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee wrote:
On 11/09/2016 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

There are various tools designed to do this, search Ebay for "Terminal
Release Tool Set", but not cost effective for a one-off job.
As the other poster says, you may be able to fashion something similar
from the pictures.

I've tried a couple of skinny pokey things down various holes whilst
pulling on the wires but nothing seems to work. :-(

Plan "B" fast approaching. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2016 22:05, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On 11/09/2016 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

There are various tools designed to do this, search Ebay for "Terminal
Release Tool Set", but not cost effective for a one-off job.
As the other poster says, you may be able to fashion something similar
from the pictures.

I've tried a couple of skinny pokey things down various holes whilst
pulling on the wires but nothing seems to work. :-(

Plan "B" fast approaching. ;-)

Tim

Plan B is the best bet! You can rejoin them with crimps (best option) or
bullets or male/female spade connectors if you prefer.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/16 22:05, Tim+ wrote:
Lee wrote:
On 11/09/2016 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

There are various tools designed to do this, search Ebay for "Terminal
Release Tool Set", but not cost effective for a one-off job.
As the other poster says, you may be able to fashion something similar
from the pictures.

I've tried a couple of skinny pokey things down various holes whilst
pulling on the wires but nothing seems to work. :-(

In days of yore the trick was to get the bit of smashed telescopic
aerial that just fitted over the pins and use that to retract the barbs...

Plan "B" fast approaching. ;-)

Tim

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the
cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

I think the wire crimps in the plug have a sticking-up tang which clicks
behind a ridge in the moulding. You can probably insert a thin screwdriver
into the slot beside each socket-hole to bend the tang flat, while at the
same time pushing the wire in to remove friction between the tang and the
ridge, then pull the wire and crimp out. To replace the crimp afterwards,
bend the tang up slightly before reinserting.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 21:05:04 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Lee wrote:
On 11/09/2016 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

There are various tools designed to do this, search Ebay for "Terminal
Release Tool Set", but not cost effective for a one-off job.
As the other poster says, you may be able to fashion something similar
from the pictures.

I've tried a couple of skinny pokey things down various holes whilst
pulling on the wires but nothing seems to work. :-(

I always had good success with a very fine flat bladed screwdriver
(watchmaker size), slid down flat and then rotated though 90 degrees,
pushing the barb back flush with the fitting (or left flat if the barb
is plastic and part of the plug body).

Sometimes you need to take the pressure off the pin (by pushing it
into the socket), sliding the screwdriver down the side and *then*
pilling the wire / pin back out with the driver held in place.

In fact I don't think there has ever been a plug I've not released the
pins from that way? ;-)

The trick is that the screwdriver blade has to be parallel, fine
enough to *just* slide down the gap yet strong enough to be able to
move / bend any metal tangs back without bending / breaking itself. A
bit like picking a lock.

Are there any clues from any of the unused pin holes what side has the
'barb' (the socket or the pin)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

Don't know that exact connector as there are hundreds of different types.
But it does look like the standard idea - the terminal pushes into the
housing and is locked by a barb on the terminal. A jeweller's screwdriver
or similar flat small blade is needed to release the barb. There are tools
with a variety of 'small flat blades' for the purpose - but are pretty
expensive.

How about the other end of the cable?

--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim+
writes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and paste,
to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it just
me?

It is a minor annoyance, you click the link, it launches in the browser
launches then apparently nothing happens, then you remember that it's a
download link, not a view link, and have to launch the image from
downloads using an external viewer

Omitting the ?dl=1 or changing it to ?dl=0 would be simpler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Tim+
writes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

Does it work without the end bit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

I'll trim it off in future if it causes problems. Personally, the original
link opens just fine for me (using Newstap on iPad/iPhone). What newsreader
are you using?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Graeme
escribió:

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

No, it's not just you. Change it to ?dl=0

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Graeme
escribió:

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

No, it's not just you. Change it to ?dl=0

Having dl=0 makes opening a Dropbox link a two stage process for me (and I
thought for most others) as you then get an option to open the link in the
Dropbox app or a browser. Changing it to a "1" removes this option.

Makes no odds to me, I'll post whatever works best for most people.

So which works best?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Graeme wrote:

whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

No, it's not just you. Change it to ?dl=0

Then you get the other minor annoyance ... a bloated javascript driven
page that takes 21 seconds to load and scale the image!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim+
writes

Does it work without the end bit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

Yes, perfectly.

I'll trim it off in future if it causes problems. Personally, the original
link opens just fine for me (using Newstap on iPad/iPhone). What newsreader
are you using?

Turnpike. Some things never change :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim+
writes

So which works best?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

That does not open the link. I get an option to download the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=0

That works, link opens (in Chrome).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

That works, link opens (in Chrome).
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Mike wrote:

En el , Graeme
escribió:

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

No, it's not just you. Change it to ?dl=0

Having dl=0 makes opening a Dropbox link a two stage process for me (and I
thought for most others) as you then get an option to open the link in the
Dropbox app or a browser. Changing it to a "1" removes this option.

Makes no odds to me, I'll post whatever works best for most people.

So which works best?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

Tim

Interesting, =1 worked best for me with Seamonkey. The other links
failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

So which works best?

It depends on the browser the end user is using.

dl=1 tells the browser the URL is a download link. Here on Firefox on
Win7 it correctly presents a "save as" dialog. dl=0 displays the image
in a browser tab.

I think you said you're using a phone. Downloading may not be relevant
in that context so with dl=1 the browser probably defaults to displaying
the image as popping up a save dialog wouldn't be appropriate.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

Then you get the other minor annoyance ... a bloated javascript driven
page that takes 21 seconds to load and scale the image!

Firefox + Ghostery + uBlock + NoScript = bliss

How is it more annoying than having to save the image to disk then open
it with an image viewer?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Tim+
writes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

I don't have to do that with IE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
KYW KYW is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
In message , Tim+
writes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

Does it work without the end bit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

Yep, works for me.

I'll trim it off in future if it causes problems. Personally, the original
link opens just fine for me (using Newstap on iPad/iPhone). What
newsreader
are you using?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 07:57:49 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Graeme wrote:
In message , Tim+
writes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

Does it work without the end bit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u836291b/Plug2.jpeg

I'll trim it off in future if it causes problems. Personally, the original
link opens just fine for me (using Newstap on iPad/iPhone). What newsreader
are you using?

Is it T i m or Tim+ that placed me in the kill file :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy
and paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end.
Is it just me?

I don't have to do that with IE.

Which, going by what Mike T said above, tells us that IE is broken, but
Chrome is not. Quelle surprise.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Graeme
escribió:

Which, going by what Mike T said above, tells us that IE is broken, but
Chrome is not. Quelle surprise.

Aye.

And multiple reports of problems with Edge (IE replacement) in Win10.
Quelle surprise. Especially as it's built on the IE code.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

andy burns wrote:

a bloated javascript driven page

Firefox + Ghostery + uBlock + NoScript = bliss

I don't go that far, firefox plus uBlock and no plugins at all.

How is it more annoying than having to save the image to disk then open
it with an image viewer?

takes 20+ seconds until the "onpageload" event fires, ok the image is
visible before that, but there's quite a long delay while the spinny
thing spins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Rod Speed
writes

OT, but whenever Tim posts a dropbox link, I have to manually copy and
paste, to exclude the ?dl=1 which seems to be added at the end. Is it
just me?

I don't have to do that with IE.

Which, going by what Mike T said above, tells us that IE is broken,

No it does not. IE does in fact ask you if you want
to download it, which is what it is supposed to do.

but Chrome is not.

I get an identical result in Chrome.

Quelle surprise.

Fraid not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy Burns
escribió:

the spinny
thing

Nice technical term

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes

And multiple reports of problems with Edge (IE replacement) in Win10.
Quelle surprise. Especially as it's built on the IE code.

Having installed W10, my only use of Edge is to open pdfs, but not
through choice. Edge seems to keep resetting itself as default pdf
reader. Similarly, I've been using PSP5 for years, to open any and all
image files, which is fine for all except bmp files, where the MS
program keeps resetting itself as default.

More mildly annoying than life threatening.
--
Graeme