Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Removing a plug

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 21:05:04 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Lee wrote:
On 11/09/2016 20:46, Tim+ wrote:
Mending a broken wing mirror will be a lot easier if I can remove the cable
that passes through the centre of the bit I want to repair. I can only do
this if I can remove the individual wires from this plug. I dare say not
tricky but I'd rather not cock up and end up damaging the connector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s02csb7u83...lug2.jpeg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8xllxd025...lug1.jpeg?dl=1

Tim

There are various tools designed to do this, search Ebay for "Terminal
Release Tool Set", but not cost effective for a one-off job.
As the other poster says, you may be able to fashion something similar
from the pictures.

I've tried a couple of skinny pokey things down various holes whilst
pulling on the wires but nothing seems to work. :-(

I always had good success with a very fine flat bladed screwdriver
(watchmaker size), slid down flat and then rotated though 90 degrees,
pushing the barb back flush with the fitting (or left flat if the barb
is plastic and part of the plug body).

Sometimes you need to take the pressure off the pin (by pushing it
into the socket), sliding the screwdriver down the side and *then*
pilling the wire / pin back out with the driver held in place.

In fact I don't think there has ever been a plug I've not released the
pins from that way? ;-)

The trick is that the screwdriver blade has to be parallel, fine
enough to *just* slide down the gap yet strong enough to be able to
move / bend any metal tangs back without bending / breaking itself. A
bit like picking a lock.

Are there any clues from any of the unused pin holes what side has the
'barb' (the socket or the pin)?

Cheers, T i m