Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus12938

Default Removing a sink plug in bathroom?

In one of the bathrooms, there is a sink plug that is actuated by a
handle between faucets. It works, however, it resists removal. I want
to remove it because I want to clear the drain with sulfuric acid (the
drain is plugged and I had great success with S.A. with other sinks).

So... How do I remove this plug without breaking anything?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Ignoramus12938 wrote:

In one of the bathrooms, there is a sink plug that is actuated by a
handle between faucets. It works, however, it resists removal. I want
to remove it because I want to clear the drain with sulfuric acid (the
drain is plugged and I had great success with S.A. with other sinks).

So... How do I remove this plug without breaking anything?

Under the sink, look for the horizontal rod which
the lever moves up and down. That rod must come
out to remove the popup. There should be a large
nut on the back side of the drain fitting which
retains the rod.

Note that the metal trim will remain in the sink
outlet and the acid may discolor it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

There's a good chance that when you remove the sink plug you'll find that
hair has plugged the drain and that the plug causing the problem will come
out with the drain stopper.

Many of these kinds of drain stoppers can be removed simply by twisting them
about a quarter turn and lifting them out. On some stoppers it depends on
how they were initially installed - one way they're removable by the
twisting method, the other way the stem has to be removed in order to get
the stopper out.

Sulfuric acid is good for dissolving hair plugs. If you use sulfuric acid
and don't clear the plug, be sure to tell the plumber that you used it.
Sulfuric acid likes to dissolve hair but it also likes to dissolve skin.
:-)

Harry

"Ignoramus12938" wrote in message
In one of the bathrooms, there is a sink plug that is actuated by a
handle between faucets. It works, however, it resists removal. I want
to remove it because I want to clear the drain with sulfuric acid (the
drain is plugged and I had great success with S.A. with other sinks).

So... How do I remove this plug without breaking anything?

SUMP PUMP alternative [email protected] Home Repair 16 January 22nd 18 02:44 AM
Removing latex paint from a metal kitchen sink [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 24th 05 10:28 AM
Removing rust spots on Kitchen Sink Mark Carver UK diy 4 June 29th 05 09:24 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Burke Millrite Spindle Bearings Access Plug Dennis van Dam Metalworking 22 August 3rd 04 06:32 AM