Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing latex paint from a metal kitchen sink

Hi All,

We've been doing some painting around here, and it's well below
freezing outside. When we had to clean brushes, we didn't have much of
a choice except to use the kitchen sink. We tried to wash everything
down while it was still wet, but (as you can imagine) we've now got
some areas where the paint dried.

Any thoughts on how we could remove it? It's a regular metal basin
kitchen sink. I've tried the oil paint thinner we have and that didn't
do the trick.

-Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Lacquer thinner, goof off, acetone, paint remover all will work.
A 3M Scotch brite will make it go faster and may work without any
chemistry.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

We've been doing some painting around here, and it's well below
freezing outside. When we had to clean brushes, we didn't have
much of
a choice except to use the kitchen sink. We tried to wash
everything
down while it was still wet, but (as you can imagine) we've now
got
some areas where the paint dried.

Any thoughts on how we could remove it? It's a regular metal
basin
kitchen sink. I've tried the oil paint thinner we have and that
didn't
do the trick.

-Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair
LJ

Alcohol acts as a thinner for polymer-based (acrylic latex) paints. I
use rubbing alcohol all the time to clean up dried acrylic paint.
Depends on the surface of course. Alcohol will damage some finishes,
but a stainless sink will be ok.