DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing latex paint from a metal kitchen sink (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/135893-removing-latex-paint-metal-kitchen-sink.html)

[email protected] December 16th 05 12:51 AM

Removing latex paint from a metal kitchen sink

Hi All,

We've been doing some painting around here, and it's well below
freezing outside. When we had to clean brushes, we didn't have much of
a choice except to use the kitchen sink. We tried to wash everything
down while it was still wet, but (as you can imagine) we've now got
some areas where the paint dried.

Any thoughts on how we could remove it? It's a regular metal basin
kitchen sink. I've tried the oil paint thinner we have and that didn't
do the trick.

-Josh

DanG December 16th 05 01:13 AM

Removing latex paint from a metal kitchen sink

Lacquer thinner, goof off, acetone, paint remover all will work.
A 3M Scotch brite will make it go faster and may work without any
chemistry.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

oups.com...

chickenwing December 16th 05 01:33 AM

wrote:
Hi All,

We've been doing some painting around here, and it's well below
...e have and that didn't
do the trick.

-Josh

yeah, stainless sinks are a bear! they are really poreous to paint

try some ajax, a little elbow grease

the goof off stuff works pretty good.
since it's a metal sink, then a small can of stripper should
get all of it out.

Norminn December 16th 05 01:35 AM

wrote:

Hi All,

We've been doing some painting around here, and it's well below
freezing outside. When we had to clean brushes, we didn't have much of
a choice except to use the kitchen sink. We tried to wash everything
down while it was still wet, but (as you can imagine) we've now got
some areas where the paint dried.

Any thoughts on how we could remove it? It's a regular metal basin
kitchen sink. I've tried the oil paint thinner we have and that didn't
do the trick.

-Josh

Hot soapy water will probably do it. Try plastic scrubber. 3M green
pads would take it off, but scratch stainless. Paint remover, of
course, will also take it off.

LJ December 24th 05 10:28 AM

Removing latex paint from a metal kitchen sink

Alcohol acts as a thinner for polymer-based (acrylic latex) paints. I
use rubbing alcohol all the time to clean up dried acrylic paint.
Depends on the surface of course. Alcohol will damage some finishes,
but a stainless sink will be ok.