Junior Member

Location: Ireland
Default Stud Wall for Shed - Bracing and Spacing

So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs? Should the studs coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing adjacent sheets together with short screws? Would 1 metre be too far apart to space the studs?

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

Edit: The cladding manufacturer suggests that aligning studs with overlaps of adjacent sheets is unnecessary and stitcher screws will do the job ok.

If I add noggings which would be staggered up and down along the wall, what's the best way of locating these noggings when I'm fixing the sheets so I can screw and not miss. Is it better to measure up from the bottom plate and mark a line, or use a square from the edge of the sheet and mark a line on it?

Last edited by Eugbug : September 6th 16 at 04:45 PM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/16 14:35, Eugbug wrote:
So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It
will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down
onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in
width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs? Should the studs
coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges
of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing
adjacent sheets together with short screws?

I would get the joins on the studding - you know it's going to be better.

Would 1 metre be too far
apart to space the studs?

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide
sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Eugbug

The metal's long axis should be at right angles to the studs.
The long axis is normally vertical so your studa want to be horizontal.
So it's not like a timber shed.
Google:-
images sheet metal cladding structural drawings.
Basically similar structures for steel and timber frame buildings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 15:17:06 UTC+1, Eugbug wrote:

So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It
will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down
onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in
width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs?

How long is a piece of string? I've seen shed of 1x1 and 2x4 and more. Your call.

Should the studs
coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges
of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing
adjacent sheets together with short screws?

Joins should be into studs, otherwise you've got no rigidity to the walls.

Would 1 metre be too far
apart to space the studs?

no

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide
sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

The sheets will rust away eventually. Best if the building doesn't collapse or half collapse as a result. Bracing is the perfect use for junk anyway.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2016 14:35, Eugbug wrote:
So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It
will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down
onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in
width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs?

Sounds like something close to 450mm would be good - basically both
edges and centre of the cladding sheet.

Should the studs
coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges
of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing
adjacent sheets together with short screws?

Yes definitely, much stronger and easier when all the edges fall on a
stud or nogging.

Would 1 metre be too far
apart to space the studs?

Depends on how stiff the cladding is, but probably...

(although to be fair, most commercial shed have skimpy studs, thin
cladding, and way to wide spacing, and yet they seem to stand up ok!)

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide
sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

Generally no, unless you need the frame to resist racking before you get
the cladding on (say of you need to climb about on the roof first etc).
Then you could always slap a temporary diagonal plank on for that if
needs be. Once the cladding is on, it will hold it all ridged.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 14:35:01 +0100, Eugbug
wrote:

So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It
will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down
onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in
width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs? Should the studs
coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges
of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing
adjacent sheets together with short screws? Would 1 metre be too far
apart to space the studs?

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide
sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

6m x 3m is quite big for a shed. I would be looking to use studs at
certainly no more than 600mm centres and possibly down to 400mm depending
on how exposed the building is (to weather / wind). You could consider
counter-battening for fixing the cladding.

Regarding overall stability, you really ought to be sheathing the wall
construction with structural OSB or plywood. Too many / large openings in
any of the elevations will give you a weak structure even with sheathing.

What form is the roof? Is it flat or pitched? And, if it's pitched are
you planning on a flat or vaulted ceiling?

For such a big building, you really ought to consult a structural engineer
otherwise you could be heading towards disaster!

Metal siding and stud spacing on walls stryped[_3_] Home Repair 11 April 28th 10 02:23 PM
Bracing a short wall Ivan Vegvary Woodworking 5 August 11th 08 01:23 PM
Shed pier spacing C Miller Woodworking 5 July 7th 06 04:04 AM
bracing wall query [email protected] UK diy 3 May 23rd 06 02:16 PM
Soil pipe of elliptical or rectangular cross section. To fit within stud 70mm wall spacing. Does such a product exist? Peter UK diy 6 January 26th 05 11:02 PM