Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stud Wall for Shed - Bracing and Spacing

On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 15:17:06 UTC+1, Eugbug wrote:

So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It
will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down
onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in
width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs?

How long is a piece of string? I've seen shed of 1x1 and 2x4 and more. Your call.

Should the studs
coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges
of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing
adjacent sheets together with short screws?

Joins should be into studs, otherwise you've got no rigidity to the walls.

Would 1 metre be too far
apart to space the studs?

no

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide
sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

The sheets will rust away eventually. Best if the building doesn't collapse or half collapse as a result. Bracing is the perfect use for junk anyway.

NT