Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self cancelling indicators

Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily? Mainly turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it cancels the right indicator, then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm guessing it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

--
Caller: "I'd like the RSPCA please".
Operator: "Where are you calling from?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily? Mainly
turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it cancels
the right indicator, then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road
users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm guessing
it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

O dear, another thread crying for attention. PHucker, you'll ALWAYS alarm
other road users.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:11:06 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and Bod says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I guess it's only some. But on googling it I found many people complaining about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling at all.

--
Always talk to your wife while you're making love -- if there's a phone handy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

Yes, I have experienced exactly the problem that the OP described. It's
sometimes necessary to steer with one hand while keeping the other at the
correct position near (but not holding) the wheel to force the indicator to
remain on.

Citroen had the right idea in not having self-cancelling indicators on their
cars (eg the GS, GSA and Xantia that my dad had); you just need to get into
the habit of checking the indicator light and manually cancelling the
indicators when you have left the junction and have straightened up. It was
about 20 years since I last drove a Citroen but I still tend to cancel the
indicators myself just before the self-cancelling mechanism does so. It's
*very* rare that I've ever left my indicators on accidentally when the
self-cancelling mechanism hasn't worked (eg when changing lanes and there is
insufficient movement of the wheel to actuate the mechanism) because I tend
to be aware of the flashing light - I actually scan the important parts of
the dashboard every few seconds, and anyway a flashing light is pretty
noticeable!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

Prepare yourselves for Phucker's next inane, nonsensical, stupid, attention
grabbing post:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's a perfectly sensible question for a DIY group you ****ing moron.

--
Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:24:27 +0100, NY wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
[...]

I've had loads of different makes of cars, and only the last two have had this problem. I hope it doesn't mean they're all getting more sensitive. Most of my cars allowed you to turn the opposite way to where you've indicated, the click off only functions after you've turned the way you indicated, then turn back again. So in most cars, you can drive in a straight line towards a roundabout, switch on the right indicator, and turn left onto the roundabout without it cancelling. Then you turn right, round the roundabout, and it won't try to cancel until you stop turning right and turn the wheel to the central position.

--
Law of mechanical repair: After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

Prepare yourselves for Phucker's next inane, nonsensical, stupid,
attention grabbing post:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's a perfectly sensible question for a DIY group you ****ing moron.

It is a question for a motoring group.
But hang on, you destroyed that one, you unemployable skid mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily? Mainly
turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it cancels
the right indicator, then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road
users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm
guessing it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

O for self-cancelling posts.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

Prepare yourselves for Phucker's next inane, nonsensical, stupid,
attention grabbing post:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's a perfectly sensible question for a DIY group you ****ing moron.

It is a question for a motoring group.

There isn't one.

But hang on, you destroyed that one, you unemployable skid mark.

It is not possible for someone to destroy a group. Anyone is free to post there. Anyone is free to ignore me.

--
Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 19:34:37 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily? Mainly
turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it cancels
the right indicator, then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road
users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm
guessing it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

O for self-cancelling posts.

Trouble is with those is people reach into other vehicles and cancel other people's posts.

--
While most Americans believe that getting rid of religion is an impossible goal, much of the developed world has already accomplished it. Any account of a €ťgod gene€ś that causes the majority of Americans to helplessly organize their lives around ancient works of religious fiction must explain why so many inhabitants of other First World societies apparently lack such a gene. The level of atheism throughout the rest of the developed world refutes any argument that religion is somehow a moral necessity. Countries like Norway, Iceland, Australia, Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark and the United Kingdom are among the least religious societies on Earth. According to the United Nations Human Development Report (2005) they are also the healthiest, as indicated by measures of life expectancy, adult literacy, per capita income, educational attainment, gender equality, homicide rate and infant mortality. Conversely, the 50 nations now ranked lowest in
terms of human development are unwaveringly religious.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2016 18:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:11:06 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and Bod
says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I guess
it's only some. But on googling it I found many people complaining
about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling at all.

I don't know what you are moaning about, it's a non problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 19:34:37 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily? Mainly
turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it cancels
the right indicator, then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road
users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm
guessing it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

O for self-cancelling posts.

Trouble is with those is people reach into other vehicles and cancel other
people's posts.

It's a pity we can't cancel the ******** that you post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 19:55:09 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 21/08/2016 18:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:11:06 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and Bod
says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I guess
it's only some. But on googling it I found many people complaining
about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling at all.

I don't know what you are moaning about, it's a non problem.

Having your car cancel your signal to others as to where you're going is dangerous.

--
Six stages of married life:
1: Tri-weekly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote

Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

That's one thing we haven't seen much more, indicators with intelligence
instead of the very simple mechanical ones we have had for years now.

Mainly turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it
cancels the right indicator,

I indicate right when in the roundabout, before the first exit, works fine.

then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm guessing
it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 20:39:00 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote

Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

That's one thing we haven't seen much more, indicators with intelligence
instead of the very simple mechanical ones we have had for years now.

Mainly turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it
cancels the right indicator,

I indicate right when in the roundabout, before the first exit, works fine.

On small roundabouts, it's good to show the person opposite that you are going to cross their path, before you enter the roundabout.

Anyway, I find it easier to indicate before starting the turn, then just leave it on. Always worked in other cars.

then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm guessing
it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

That's one thing we haven't seen much more, indicators with intelligence
instead of the very simple mechanical ones we have had for years now.

Mainly turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it
cancels the right indicator,

I indicate right when in the roundabout, before the first exit, works
fine.

On small roundabouts, it's good to show the person opposite that you are
going to cross their path, before you enter the roundabout.

Small roundabouts only have a single lane of traffic in
the roundabout so there is no need to indicate anything.

Anyway, I find it easier to indicate before starting the turn, then just
leave it on.

Sure, it is certainly a bit easier to do it like that before you need to
turn the wheel.

Always worked in other cars.

So you shouldn't have bought that french wreck
and should have bought something better.

French **** always has silly quirks like that.

then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm
guessing it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2016 18:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:11:06 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and Bod
says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I guess
it's only some. But on googling it I found many people complaining
about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling at all.

I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:45:59 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 21/08/2016 18:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:11:06 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and Bod
says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I guess
it's only some. But on googling it I found many people complaining
about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling at all.

I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

That's because they also use the same bulb for running lights so they wear out. When I see one driving along with it on like that, I pull out in front of him and assume he's turning into my road. If I get hooted at, I use the ****** sign followed by alternate indicator flashes. Someday they might get a clue.

--
What do you call an aerobics instructor who doesn't cause pain & agony?
Unemployed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:45:59 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 21/08/2016 18:21, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:11:06 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and
Bod says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I
guess it's only some. But on googling it I found many people
complaining about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling
at all.

I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

That's because they also use the same bulb for running lights so they
wear out.

very unlikely since indicators are amber and running lights are white.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Hook, line and sinker.

FFS, you're arguing with a troll.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 19:30:19 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

On BMWs they are orange, do pay attention to the world around you.

--
I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent. -- Arthur C. Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 19:41:54 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

charles wrote:
In article ,
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

No hook at all, just a fool who assumes his small experience of life encompasses all cars.

--
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
charles wrote:

wrote:

On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault -
and Bod says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked
perfectly. I guess it's only some. But on googling it I found
many people complaining about BMWs, to the extent that they'd
prefer no cancelling at all.

I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all
the ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

That's because they also use the same bulb for running lights so
they wear out.

very unlikely since indicators are amber and running lights are
white.

Hook, line and sinker.

FFS, you're arguing with a troll.

Peter Hucker:

Aka:
Phucker:
Uncle Peter:
Tough Guy:
James Wilkinson:
Mr Macaw:
Etc, etc, etc ....................

Enjoy the ravings of a **** poor Betterware delivery boy with no hot running
water in his hovel of a house.

"I have driven a Ford Sierra 1.6 at 90mph on single track roads
with passing places in the NW of Scotland. ****ing great fun"!

"Vauxhalls and Fords are mass produced. VWs are engineered".

"I am proud of being nicked 10 times, and even prouder of talking my way out
of twice that number of offences".
"Make that 12. 9 speeding offences, 2 seatbelts, and 1 unroadworthy
vehicle".

Now 3 seat belt offences

On rape:
"What is wrong is raping someone. It doesn't matter if they are an adult
or a child".
"The problem there is our prudishness. People ought to have sex with
everyone all the time".

On Jimmy Savile:
"If he had done it against their will, they would have come forwards
earlier. The fact that they didn't suggests either he did nothing at all,
or the children liked it".

"Rolf Harris is a good and decent man".

"A boy's cock is fully developed by the age of 12 years"
(Peter was sacked when he worked in a school)

"Journalists are not human".

"I don't give a **** about the law".
"**** the law".
"It's only illegal is you get caught".
"Something being illegal does not matter".
"The law is irrelevant".

"I am honest".
"Theft is illegal".
"When I was 11 I stole candles from a church".

"I have never found out the purpose of underpants".

"Women are inferior".
"Crying is unnecessary and pathetic. So is screaming. Why do women scream
when they're frightened? Perhaps they realise they're inferior and are
calling for the nearest man"?

"I believe that UFOs have visited us but not in recent times".
"I don't believe in UFOs".
"When someone says "UFO", they do not mean 4000 years ago. Then they would
just be "FO" as they hadn't invented flying yet".

"My IQ is superiour to that of most people".
"I am inferior in some ways but superior in other ways".
"I admit I should not have been born".
"Jobs are for sheeple".

"Some men are hot".

"I can sleep outside in a temperature of -20C wearing only shorts".

"I once took a dump behind some bushes and slid down a hill to wipe my
arse".

"I do not post waffling bull**** or childish insults".
"He is indeed very stupid, and easy to make fun of".

"I am currently eating a sandwich made with bread that has been in my fridge
THREE WEEKS past the sell by date. It is not dry, it is not mouldy, it is
identical to the day I bought it".

"And there's nothing wrong with jumping red lights if you don't cause an
accident"

"I don't want to drive at the speed limit. It's absurdly slow and in fact I
find it more dangerous. It's so tedious I'm in danger of falling asleep.
"Whoever made up the limits must have a really slow brain".
"I think it's stupid to follow a law which is baseless. The law on red
lights is to stop you hitting someone. If there is nobody there, you
cannot hit them".

"If the guy behind me has his lights on too bright. I let him past then
tailgate him with my full beam on until he switches his off".

"I like driving fast and scaring people".

"People who don't know how to shave don't know how to behave."

On mental health:
"Being sectioned just means you are different from others, it doesn't mean
you are wrong".

"If I wanted you to stab me with a knife and kill me, you should not get
into trouble for it".
"I would kill my sister if I thought I'd get away with it".
"I'm not what most people think of as human".

"I have an IQ of 140".
"I am seldom wrong".
"There is no reason the data stored in our heads cannot be transferred".

"I will not accept money from my neighbours for doing them a favour"
"My neighbour just paid me Ł40 to brush moss off the roof of her porch
extension. It took me 10 minutes."

"Pain is not harmful. The victim may well want rid of it, but it's no
reason for anyone to rush there".

"Dogs are supposed to live in packs of other dogs, running wild. Not sat in
a house all day".

"We should be allowed to do as we wish within reason. For example":
"Smoke weed in a public place, drive as fast as we like, and do both of
those stark naked. Oh and **** in public".

"Careful drivers tend to get in my way".

"I can only predict two minutes into the future".

Sociopath.
http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

"As I've told you before, that's quite normal. It's just not prim and
proper like you, you silly snob".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 20:45:03 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
charles wrote:

**** off stalker. I'm not interested in ugly old age blokes.

--
The success of the "Wonder Bra" for under-endowed women has encouraged the designers to come out with a bra for over-endowed women.
It's called the "Sheep Dog Bra"- it rounds them up and points them in the right direction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2016 16:45, Andy Bennet wrote:
I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

They're an optional extra.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2016 21:33, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/08/2016 16:45, Andy Bennet wrote:
I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

They're an optional extra.

Andy

Kind of what I assumed. Mercs and Audis don't even appear to have them
as options.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 22/08/2016 21:33, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/08/2016 16:45, Andy Bennet wrote:
I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

They're an optional extra.

Andy

Kind of what I assumed. Mercs and Audis don't even appear to have them
as options.

Round here, more likely to be white van. Who then leaves the hazards on
when driving off. I want those hazard lights which apparently allow you to
park anywhere.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 22/08/2016 21:33, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/08/2016 16:45, Andy Bennet wrote:
I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the
ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

They're an optional extra.

Andy

Kind of what I assumed. Mercs and Audis don't even appear to have them
as options.

Round here, more likely to be white van. Who then leaves the hazards on
when driving off. I want those hazard lights which apparently allow you to
park anywhere.

At least it shows he's probably undecided which way he wants to turn.
Whereas the BMW/Merc/Audi ******* know which way they are going but are
damned if they are telling anyone else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
Round here, more likely to be white van. Who then leaves the hazards on
when driving off. I want those hazard lights which apparently allow you to
park anywhere.

At least it shows he's probably undecided which way he wants to turn.
Whereas the BMW/Merc/Audi ******* know which way they are going but are
damned if they are telling anyone else.

Quite right too. You lesser mortals should know your place and keep well
back. Or would you rather have the old Russian system with effectively
only one make?

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*