Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default Self cancelling indicators

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:24:27 +0100, NY wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 21/08/2016 13:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily?

No.

Yes, I have experienced exactly the problem that the OP described. It's
sometimes necessary to steer with one hand while keeping the other at the
correct position near (but not holding) the wheel to force the indicator to
remain on.

Citroen had the right idea in not having self-cancelling indicators on their
cars (eg the GS, GSA and Xantia that my dad had); you just need to get into
the habit of checking the indicator light and manually cancelling the
indicators when you have left the junction and have straightened up. It was
about 20 years since I last drove a Citroen but I still tend to cancel the
indicators myself just before the self-cancelling mechanism does so. It's
*very* rare that I've ever left my indicators on accidentally when the
self-cancelling mechanism hasn't worked (eg when changing lanes and there is
insufficient movement of the wheel to actuate the mechanism) because I tend
to be aware of the flashing light - I actually scan the important parts of
the dashboard every few seconds, and anyway a flashing light is pretty
noticeable!

I've had loads of different makes of cars, and only the last two have had this problem. I hope it doesn't mean they're all getting more sensitive. Most of my cars allowed you to turn the opposite way to where you've indicated, the click off only functions after you've turned the way you indicated, then turn back again. So in most cars, you can drive in a straight line towards a roundabout, switch on the right indicator, and turn left onto the roundabout without it cancelling. Then you turn right, round the roundabout, and it won't try to cancel until you stop turning right and turn the wheel to the central position.

--
Law of mechanical repair: After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.