Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tea and Sand

I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea
or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And
absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly breezy
conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them, but
someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it has
got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 22:07, polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea
or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And
absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly breezy
conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them, but
someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it has
got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

I like our coleman apex peak petrol stove, and it is a lot easier to
light than a traditional coleman stove, but they're not made any more
and I'd not use it on the beach - sand isn't good for things.

Lots of people love their jetboils, but probably fails on expensive.

Any cheap gas stove really. Get one which uses a resealable container
(same as a blowtorch).

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/primu...038?id_colour=

Friend got one for about a tenner which sits inside its own box and
contains built in ignition. It does use a fair bit of gas though.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/summi...?id_colour=124

Idiot proof and very cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 August 2016 22:36:21 UTC+1, Clive George wrote:
[...]

I used to cheat with survivalist cookers by adding random solid fuel to conserve gas/paraffin/hexamine etc. With hexamine it's necessary or you won't cook jack.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for
tea or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or
run. And absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly
breezy conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them,
but someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon
it has got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

http://tinyurl.com/jjrzwyn

I've had one foe five years, they can be had from cheap shops for about a
tenner (B&M, home bargains etc etc) the butane canisters are £4 for four.
I use mine for a week at a time fishing in France. on a typical day I will
have five cups of tea, cook bacon, eggs etc for brekkie and cook something
later on for a main meal, usually warming canned foods and making instant
mash or frying a steak etc, i normally use about 3.5 cans of gas over 7
days.

They last for years and are very lightweight. you can carry the gas inside
the stove as it has a cut off valve so that it won't leak in transit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 22:45, Phil L wrote:
polygonum wrote:
[...]

Had been rather put off that style simply because of quite a few stories
of gas leaks. But certainly the price is good!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 22:36, Clive George wrote:
[...]

Too true - JetBoil or, possibly, Primus Eta range, looked good but too
expensive.

The next one looks quite good but I was concerned about gas cost.

Last one is pretty much same as Phil suggested. Yes - price does look good.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

I have 2 and impressed with their performance.

They have own spark ignition and never known it to fail.

I'm not aware of any gas leaks from the stove itself. In fact when you
put in storage mode the top won't fit unless you've decoupled the
cylinder from the stove.

They are simply incredibly good value for money. Go Camping usually have
them at a good price.

However, any wind and they are crap!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Do you mean in use or whilst the gas container is being carried
separately?

I have a couple alongside the classic Camping Gaz disposable canisters
and one burner that sits on top of a small re-fillable bottle and I
find the one Phil linked to the most stable and easy to use.

With the addition of a foldable ally windbreak I think they are pretty
unbeatable, for a short trip from the car to the picnic spot or when
vehicle based touring (we carried one in the trailer behind my
motorbike).

They are also handy as an emergency / extra hob indoors (with the
window open etc).

Not as fun as my Coleman dual-fuel, twin hob stove but far more
convenient. ;-)

But certainly the price is good!

I think I've paid as little as £4.99 for them.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 August 2016 22:07:59 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea
or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And
absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly breezy
conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them, but
someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it has
got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

--
Rod

What's wrong with a thermos flask?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them,
but someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it
has got to be gas - butane? or mix?

I'm still a fan of the traditional Camping Gaz stove for travel, not to
mention home use during a power cut. Also have the matching lantern,
which uses an identical gas cylinder.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 23:47, Fredxxx wrote:

I have 2 and impressed with their performance.

They have own spark ignition and never known it to fail.

I'm not aware of any gas leaks from the stove itself. In fact when you
put in storage mode the top won't fit unless you've decoupled the
cylinder from the stove.

They are simply incredibly good value for money. Go Camping usually have
them at a good price.

However, any wind and they are crap!

Windbreak will also be acquired! :-)

Pleased to read your lack of leaks - not entirely sure but seems to be
when cylinder is in place.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2016 07:24, News wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them,
but someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon
it has got to be gas - butane? or mix?

I'm still a fan of the traditional Camping Gaz stove for travel, not to
mention home use during a power cut. Also have the matching lantern,
which uses an identical gas cylinder.

Given the overwhelming support for the little flat ones, I think I'll go
down that route. When I had a dual Camping Gaz one one a big cylinder,
it seemed pretty pathetic. But that was a very long time ago.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 August 2016 22:07:59 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea
or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And
absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly breezy
conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them, but
someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it has
got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

One of my sons swears by the Kelly Kettle type, but it's not cheap...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 22:07, polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea
or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And
absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly breezy
conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them, but
someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it has
got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

Try a Kelly Kettle. Then you can just use sticks lying on the beach as
fuel and sand wont hurt it.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
On 15/08/2016 22:07, polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for tea
or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or run. And
absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly breezy
conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them, but
someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon it has
got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

Try a Kelly Kettle. Then you can just use sticks lying on the beach as
fuel and sand wont hurt it.

Mike

Hmm, my parents had one. How we survived without serious scalding I don't
know. Unstable and water boils over very readily.

Yes, it's quite fun to use and involves playing with fire but dry fuel
isn't always that easy to find in this country!

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 August 2016 10:06:29 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

Try a Kelly Kettle. Then you can just use sticks lying on the beach as
fuel and sand wont hurt it.

Hmm, my parents had one. How we survived without serious scalding I don't
know. Unstable and water boils over very readily.

Yes, it's quite fun to use and involves playing with fire but dry fuel
isn't always that easy to find in this country!

With some gas or liquid fuel burners you can just add solid fuel when there's some lying around, and not when there isn't. Ideal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Do you mean in use or whilst the gas container is being carried
separately?

I have a couple alongside the classic Camping Gaz disposable canisters
and one burner that sits on top of a small re-fillable bottle and I
find the one Phil linked to the most stable and easy to use.

With the addition of a foldable ally windbreak I think they are pretty
unbeatable, for a short trip from the car to the picnic spot or when
vehicle based touring (we carried one in the trailer behind my
motorbike).

They are also handy as an emergency / extra hob indoors (with the
window open etc).

Not as fun as my Coleman dual-fuel, twin hob stove but far more
convenient. ;-)

But certainly the price is good!

I think I've paid as little as £4.99 for them.

I have a couple of old ones that the cases have broken so i don't take those
out, I use one in the shed occasionally for a smoker I made, basically an
old biscuit tin with a few holes in the top, in the middle is a lump of wire
mesh about 2 inches up from the bottom of the tin. I put in a foil
'envelope' of oak chippings on the bottom and wrap the food (trout, bacon
covered chicken etc) in loose foil and place it on top of the mesh,and put
the lid on, the shavings smoulder slowly and the tiny holes in the lid keep
the smoke form escaping too quick. Obviously not suitable for indoors and
much quicker than farting about with a BBQ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

CPC have one like that on offer for £7 today

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Monday, 15 August 2016 22:07:59 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for
tea or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or
run. And absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly
breezy conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them,
but someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon
it has got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

--
Rod

What's wrong with a thermos flask?

Because after tea has been sitting in a flask for longer than half an hour,
it tastes like it's been there for two years, regardless of temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
harry wrote:

What's wrong with a thermos flask?

Because after tea has been sitting in a flask for longer than half an hour,
it tastes like it's been there for two years, regardless of temperature.

+1

Tea made and kept in a flask is foul stuff. Slightly less foul is a
flask of hot water used to make fresh tea. Not perfect, but better than
ready made tea.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 20:14, News wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
harry wrote:

What's wrong with a thermos flask?

Because after tea has been sitting in a flask for longer than half an
hour,
it tastes like it's been there for two years, regardless of temperature.

+1

Tea made and kept in a flask is foul stuff. Slightly less foul is a
flask of hot water used to make fresh tea. Not perfect, but better than
ready made tea.

Tea and coffee from a flask are marginally more acceptable if taken
without milk.

Flexibility as well - I don't want to have to decide before I leave home
a) that I want (or don't want) a hot drink; b) which drink; c) how many
drinks.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:26:15 +0100, polygonum
wrote:
snip

Flexibility as well - I don't want to have to decide before I leave home
a) that I want (or don't want) a hot drink; b) which drink; c) how many
drinks.

I was working on a campervan I'd just bought away from home and we
took some eggs, bacon, mushrooms and baked beans with us and cooked
them in the van, along with several cups of tea during the day.

It's amazing how much nicer a fried breakfast or even a cuppa tastes
when consumed under such circumstances. ;-)

I do most of the cooking at home and all of it when we are camping
(cycle / motorcycle / tent or car / folding caravan). The dishwasher
takes care of the dishes at home and the Mrs when we are camping. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:26:15 +0100, polygonum
wrote:
snip

Flexibility as well - I don't want to have to decide before I leave home
a) that I want (or don't want) a hot drink; b) which drink; c) how many
drinks.

I was working on a campervan I'd just bought away from home and we
took some eggs, bacon, mushrooms and baked beans with us and cooked
them in the van, along with several cups of tea during the day.

It's amazing how much nicer a fried breakfast or even a cuppa tastes
when consumed under such circumstances. ;-)

And also , stuff which can taste crap at home is ok when camping,
I quite like cup a soups when camping, at home they just taste
crap really.

I do most of the cooking at home and all of it when we are camping
(cycle / motorcycle / tent or car / folding caravan). The dishwasher
takes care of the dishes at home and the Mrs when we are camping. ;-)

i do most cooking at home, when camping she does it normally, and
the kids wash up :-)

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 August 2016 01:15:13 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I do most of the cooking at home and all of it when we are camping
(cycle / motorcycle / tent or car / folding caravan). The dishwasher
takes care of the dishes at home and the Mrs when we are camping. ;-)

You put the Mrs in a dishwasher while camping, is there a special setting for that :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 August 2016 10:56:06 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 August 2016 01:15:13 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I do most of the cooking at home and all of it when we are camping
(cycle / motorcycle / tent or car / folding caravan). The dishwasher
takes care of the dishes at home and the Mrs when we are camping. ;-)

You put the Mrs in a dishwasher while camping, is there a special setting for that :-)

I'm not sure it takes care of the Mrs in the same way as it takes care of the dishes...

Something about sitting on a running washing machine comes to mind...