Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Tea and Sand

On 15/08/2016 22:46, polygonum wrote:
On 15/08/2016 22:45, Phil L wrote:
polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for
tea or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or
run. And absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly
breezy conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them,
but someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon
it has got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

http://tinyurl.com/jjrzwyn

I've had one foe five years, they can be had from cheap shops for about a
tenner (B&M, home bargains etc etc) the butane canisters are £4 for
four.
I use mine for a week at a time fishing in France. on a typical day I
will
have five cups of tea, cook bacon, eggs etc for brekkie and cook
something
later on for a main meal, usually warming canned foods and making instant
mash or frying a steak etc, i normally use about 3.5 cans of gas over 7
days.

They last for years and are very lightweight. you can carry the gas
inside
the stove as it has a cut off valve so that it won't leak in transit.

Had been rather put off that style simply because of quite a few stories
of gas leaks. But certainly the price is good!

I have 2 and impressed with their performance.

They have own spark ignition and never known it to fail.

I'm not aware of any gas leaks from the stove itself. In fact when you
put in storage mode the top won't fit unless you've decoupled the
cylinder from the stove.

They are simply incredibly good value for money. Go Camping usually have
them at a good price.

However, any wind and they are crap!