Posted to uk.d-i-y
bp bp is offline

Default Whats the difference between building sand and play sand (for kidssandpit)

Hi

I have 1/2 tonne bag of fine building sand and almost the same of
sharp sand left over from a project.

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Thanks

Bhupesh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bp wrote:
I have 1/2 tonne bag of fine building sand and almost the same of
sharp sand left over from a project.

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Heh. I have a tonne of playpit sand that is useless for building - we
should do a swap!

Sharp sand is much more abrasive - there are bits of jagged stone in
there which will stick under fingernails and cause grazes.

Also, it will tend to stain them yellow.

It depends how picky you are, really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 July, 17:00, bp wrote:
Hi

I have 1/2 tonne bag of fine building sand and almost the same of
sharp sand left over from a project.

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Do you want your kids to turn orange?
Mine did when I had the same idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:00:23 -0700 (PDT), bp
wrote:

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Not a lot after a few days rain to wash away the clay and a few nights
of the neighbourhood cats to add flavour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bp wrote:
Hi

I have 1/2 tonne bag of fine building sand and almost the same of
sharp sand left over from a project.

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Yes. Its washed to get the stains out and its smooth so it doesn't scratch.

Thanks

Bhupesh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
bp wrote:
I have 1/2 tonne bag of fine building sand and almost the same of
sharp sand left over from a project.

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Heh. I have a tonne of playpit sand that is useless for building - we
should do a swap!

Oh, its not useless at all, especially with white cement where its lack
of colour allows a very pale mortar colour. Mix in some lime as well,
and you could swear it was lime mortar, except it actually has strength.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Not a lot after a few days rain to wash away the clay and a few nights
of the neighbourhood cats to add flavour.

Top cats prefer sharp sand.
DAMHIKT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember bp saying
something like:

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Do you have the necessary amount of cat turds to add to it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember bp saying
something like:

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Do you have the necessary amount of cat turds to add to it?

When I was installing a mooring point for a boat, which was half and oil
drum buried then filled with concrete I ask the owner of the next door
boat if it was ok to use that sand from the shore. His reply was it was
fine for that job, but would not be good for, say, a bridge, and
concrete/cement made from sea sand was nothing like as strong.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
When I was installing a mooring point for a boat, which was half and oil
drum buried then filled with concrete I ask the owner of the next door
boat if it was ok to use that sand from the shore. His reply was it was
fine for that job, but would not be good for, say, a bridge, and
concrete/cement made from sea sand was nothing like as strong.

I suspect that's not the sea _sand_ so much as the contamination with
sea _water_ that's the problem. I think it messes up the reactions.

But can I find a reference to back that up? Can I heck.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when

the
drugs began to take hold. I remember bp saying
something like:

Can I put it in the sandpit for the kids to play with - is there
something different about play sand.

Do you have the necessary amount of cat turds to add to it?

When I was installing a mooring point for a boat, which was half and

oil
drum buried then filled with concrete I ask the owner of the next

door
boat if it was ok to use that sand from the shore. His reply was it

was
fine for that job, but would not be good for, say, a bridge, and
concrete/cement made from sea sand was nothing like as strong.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

That's odd - when I was researching ferro concrete boats a few years
ago, the received advice was that sea sand with it's salt
'contamination' made not a jot of difference, and if you were building
on a sandy beach then use it. Mind you you can't do that in this
country as the bit from low to high tide belongs to the crown so the
Queen could bang you up the the Tower G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-07-22, Andy Champ wrote:
Broadback wrote:
When I was installing a mooring point for a boat, which was half and oil
drum buried then filled with concrete I ask the owner of the next door
boat if it was ok to use that sand from the shore. His reply was it was
fine for that job, but would not be good for, say, a bridge, and
concrete/cement made from sea sand was nothing like as strong.

I suspect that's not the sea _sand_ so much as the contamination with
sea _water_ that's the problem. I think it messes up the reactions.

But can I find a reference to back that up? Can I heck.

When we visited Eilean Donan castle, we were told that it was falling down
because the 1919/32 restoration used concrete made with beach sand. I have no
idea if this is true - perhaps they just wanted our money.

beach sand is rather smooth..and with weak cement wont hold up so well.
builders sand is a bit sharper. With proper portland cement though,
there's bugger all difference, and I cant see salt weakening the mix much.

The tumbling castle sounds to me far more like a builder who simply
skimped on cement. They all do.