Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Tea and Sand

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 22:46:19 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 15/08/2016 22:45, Phil L wrote:
polygonum wrote:
I am trying to decide how best to brew up on the beach.

Living near much coast, I want to be able to efficiently boil up for
tea or coffee. Enough for three mugs. Not too expensive to buy or
run. And absolutely must be simple to light and use even in fairly
breezy conditions. Doesn't need to work in gales or snowstorms!

I have in the past used Coleman petrol stoves and I quite like them,
but someone else would find one rather awkward to light. So I reckon
it has got to be gas - butane? or mix?

This doesn't have to be lightest-of-the-light - only needs carrying
modest distances rather than up and down mountains. :-)

http://tinyurl.com/jjrzwyn

I've had one foe five years, they can be had from cheap shops for about a
tenner (B&M, home bargains etc etc) the butane canisters are £4 for four.
I use mine for a week at a time fishing in France. on a typical day I will
have five cups of tea, cook bacon, eggs etc for brekkie and cook something
later on for a main meal, usually warming canned foods and making instant
mash or frying a steak etc, i normally use about 3.5 cans of gas over 7
days.

They last for years and are very lightweight. you can carry the gas inside
the stove as it has a cut off valve so that it won't leak in transit.

Had been rather put off that style simply because of quite a few stories
of gas leaks.

Do you mean in use or whilst the gas container is being carried
separately?

I have a couple alongside the classic Camping Gaz disposable canisters
and one burner that sits on top of a small re-fillable bottle and I
find the one Phil linked to the most stable and easy to use.

With the addition of a foldable ally windbreak I think they are pretty
unbeatable, for a short trip from the car to the picnic spot or when
vehicle based touring (we carried one in the trailer behind my
motorbike).

They are also handy as an emergency / extra hob indoors (with the
window open etc).

Not as fun as my Coleman dual-fuel, twin hob stove but far more
convenient. ;-)

But certainly the price is good!

I think I've paid as little as £4.99 for them.

Cheers, T i m