Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hole in thin steel

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's the best option?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

A Q-Max punch. Ebay. Cheaper copies available too. Gives a nice neat hole
with a safe edge on one side.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/16 17:01, wrote:
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's the best option?

NT

Wiederman press.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 19:32:32 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can base on etc.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out of what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2016 17:01, wrote:
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's the best option?

NT

12 bore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

tabbypurr wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The
question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can base
on etc.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out of
what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

You have answered your own question. Buy a sharp knife and use your wrists
to support the can base when cutting the hole.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

Chassis punch, but not that cheap for something you are unlikely to use
again any time soon.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...unch&_sop= 15
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MONUMENT-35...=chassis+punch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The
question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can base
on etc.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out of
what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

You have answered your own question. Buy a sharp knife and use your wrists
to support the can base when cutting the hole.

I'm considering using a cheap 1/4" wood chisel. Rounded edge would be better, but not worth doing for 3 holes. Perhaps you'd hold the cans for me

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

tabbypurr wrote in message

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans.
What's
the best option?

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The
question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can
base
on etc.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out
of
what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

You have answered your own question. Buy a sharp knife and use your
wrists
to support the can base when cutting the hole.

I'm considering using a cheap 1/4" wood chisel. Rounded edge would be
better, but not worth doing for 3 holes. Perhaps you'd hold the cans for
me

And you had to ask on a newsgroup how to make a rough hole in a tin can?

FFS.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

Surely this can be done with a knife.

Depends on what sort of hole you want to end up with quality wise.

It's what canopeners do.

They only work very well when cutting the entire base of the food can away.

The question in my mind is what sort of
knife, and what to rest the can base on etc.

You likely could get away with a big round
end of a log of the same diameter as the
base of the can with the can sitting on top
of that and stabbing thru the metal into that
if you dont care how rough the hole ends up.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans,

But fine if you can borrow one.

and IMLE distort the f out of what they cut.

Not with a proper chassis punch.

Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

You should be able to do it with a dremel
if you dont need an accurate and clean hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

You should be able to do it with a dremel
if you dont need an accurate and clean hole.

Bingo! Practical, cheap & I hope not too slow. Thank you.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hole punch?
The sort you do up with an allen key then spend the rest of the day getting
the washer shape out of the punch!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The
question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can base
on etc.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out of
what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

You have answered your own question. Buy a sharp knife and use your wrists
to support the can base when cutting the hole.

I'm considering using a cheap 1/4" wood chisel. Rounded edge would be better, but not worth doing for 3 holes. Perhaps you'd hold the cans for me

NT

You can tidy the hole up using a small flapwheel or one of those small abrasive wheels that goes in a drill chuck.

Or a drill file. Or a hand file fitted into a drill chuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food
cans. What's the best option?

As others have said, best option is a proper punch. A more
general if less tidy option is a die type sheet metal nibbler
like this:
http://www.rapidonline.com/RVFM-HT-2...r-Tool-86-2150
though I wish that it had a curved side instead of three
straight ones.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 08:59:45 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes
tabbypurr wrote in message

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

I'm considering using a cheap 1/4" wood chisel. Rounded edge would be
better, but not worth doing for 3 holes. Perhaps you'd hold the cans
for me

In the absence of the suggested hole cutter... mark out the required
hole on the bottoms of your tins. Fix a length of squared timber
(hardwood best) vertically in your bench vice and place your first tin
over the end. Take your cheap but recently sharpened wood chisel and
mallet and gently cut along the line. Move the tin to fresh wood as the
surface becomes indented.

that was the initial plan.

Tidy rough edges with a flapwheel in your electric drill.

dremel better I reckon. A spanner might be quickest.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 09:53:34 UTC+1, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
tabbypurr writes:

I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food
cans. What's the best option?

As others have said, best option is a proper punch. A more
general if less tidy option is a die type sheet metal nibbler
like this:
http://www.rapidonline.com/RVFM-HT-2...r-Tool-86-2150
though I wish that it had a curved side instead of three
straight ones.

I'm liking it, cheers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 06:29:18 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

hole punch?
The sort you do up with an allen key then spend the rest of the day getting
the washer shape out of the punch!

grin

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can base on etc.

No, look at how they work. They rely on being located close to the
rolled seam, which is much stiffer than the relatively unsupported sheet
metal in the centre of the base. The Qmax type punch relies on the fact
that the two sides are maintained concentric, and they are a relatively
close fit.

If you want to do this repeatedly on the same sized can, you need to
make a wood insert which is a reasonably close fit, then drill through
from the outside with a hole saw (preferably mounted in a pillar drill),
supporting the base on the wood insert.

Used properly, hole punches should not distort the main part badly
unless the cutter is blunt. Moly disulphide paste may help (also worth
putting it on the cap screw thread).

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out of what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

[...]

I used a die grinder aka dremel, took a few minutes each. Rod was right the 2nd time this century.

NT