Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Hole in thin steel

On 6/14/2016 8:30 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 19:32:32 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

Surely this can be done with a knife. It's what canopeners do. The question in my mind is what sort of knife, and what to rest the can base on etc.

No, look at how they work. They rely on being located close to the
rolled seam, which is much stiffer than the relatively unsupported sheet
metal in the centre of the base. The Qmax type punch relies on the fact
that the two sides are maintained concentric, and they are a relatively
close fit.

If you want to do this repeatedly on the same sized can, you need to
make a wood insert which is a reasonably close fit, then drill through
from the outside with a hole saw (preferably mounted in a pillar drill),
supporting the base on the wood insert.

Used properly, hole punches should not distort the main part badly
unless the cutter is blunt. Moly disulphide paste may help (also worth
putting it on the cap screw thread).

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans, and IMLE distort the f out of what they cut. Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

NT