Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Hole in thin steel

On 14/06/2016 22:46, ARW wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
On 14/06/2016 21:39, ARW wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans.
What's the best option?

NT

A flat wood bit will **** through thin metal like this.

It will make a hole that is shaped like a cows ****.

I haven't tried this with steel, but I converted a flat aluminium bowl
into a lamp shade. I cut the hole for the bulb holder with a flat wood
bit. It turned out nice and neat, actually. The aluminium is a bit
thicker than a tin can, which might make it easier I suppose.

Aluminum is also a lot softer than steel.

That's why I specifically mentioned it.

As food cans cost nothing and flat bits are cheap (probably a few lying
around), I'd try one of those before spending money on other solutions.