Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Hole in thin steel

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 19:32:32 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's
the best option?

32mm ARMEG Acceler8%.

Probably the best steel hole cutting saw I have ever used.

If you have other uses for them then consider buying a kit with different
sizes and spare springs etc

Surely this can be done with a knife.

Depends on what sort of hole you want to end up with quality wise.

It's what canopeners do.

They only work very well when cutting the entire base of the food can away.

The question in my mind is what sort of
knife, and what to rest the can base on etc.

You likely could get away with a big round
end of a log of the same diameter as the
base of the can with the can sitting on top
of that and stabbing thru the metal into that
if you dont care how rough the hole ends up.

Punches are overly expensive for a few cans,

But fine if you can borrow one.

and IMLE distort the f out of what they cut.

Not with a proper chassis punch.

Holesaws are possible, but it sounds a painful option.

You should be able to do it with a dremel
if you dont need an accurate and clean hole.