Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Anyone got any ideas for stiffening 300 micron acetate sheet?

I've made bookshelf label holders from thin acetate sheet by cutting
out a 7cm x 5cm piece, then lightly scoring and bending it to fit over
a standard 19mm shelf.

It works okay-ish as a bookshelf label holder, but it's not "springy"
like a real clip would be. Unfortunately, I have ~never~ found
suitable transparent clips/holders, which is why I make my own from
acetate sheet. (Okay, so there are these:
http://www.gresswell.co.uk/clip-on-s...FRG3GwodJfYD9Q
but (a) they're ruddy expensive and (b) they are too wide, meaning I'd
have to cut them into shorter pieces, probably with a fair bit of
wastage.)

Previously, I used transparent glue dots to fix my holders' "flaps" to
the over- and undersides of the shelf. These can't be seen unless one
looks really closely. But the downside is that you have to
painstakingly remove the glue dot residue from the shelf surface if
you want to move a holder.

So how might I make the bent acetate sheet stiffer? I tried with a hot
glue gun along the bend lines (after bending to a square profile), but
you can see the glue. However, the principle works! The resultant
holder is noticeably stiffer with enough "spring" to keep it in place
on the shelf without glue dots.

Chemicals? Vinegar? Salt solution? Something to spray on the holders
after bending, perhaps? Surely something must exist to make the
plastic more brittle? Obviously the clear transparency of acetate
needs to be preserved as much as possible.

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when
you're in the room where the bookshelves are.
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

Cheers!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/11/2016 12:55 PM, MM wrote:
[...]

I think it would be difficult to change the properties, surely the
normal approach would be to make the bends sharper than 90 degrees so
that you have some built-in "spring". Or use slightly thicker sheet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when
you're in the room where the bookshelves are.
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

A different approach - a brother label machine and 18mm wide sticky
white tape?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 12:55:30 UTC+1, MM wrote:

I've made bookshelf label holders from thin acetate sheet by cutting
out a 7cm x 5cm piece, then lightly scoring and bending it to fit over
a standard 19mm shelf.

It works okay-ish as a bookshelf label holder, but it's not "springy"
like a real clip would be. Unfortunately, I have ~never~ found
suitable transparent clips/holders, which is why I make my own from
acetate sheet. (Okay, so there are these:
http://www.gresswell.co.uk/clip-on-s...FRG3GwodJfYD9Q
but (a) they're ruddy expensive and (b) they are too wide, meaning I'd
have to cut them into shorter pieces, probably with a fair bit of
wastage.)

You could buy acrylic sheet & make those, but the thickness won't do the books any favours.

Previously, I used transparent glue dots to fix my holders' "flaps" to
the over- and undersides of the shelf. These can't be seen unless one
looks really closely. But the downside is that you have to
painstakingly remove the glue dot residue from the shelf surface if
you want to move a holder.

So how might I make the bent acetate sheet stiffer? I tried with a hot

You can't, other than by using thicker sheet. But it turns out further down that stiffer isn't what you need. No jokes please.

glue gun along the bend lines (after bending to a square profile), but
you can see the glue. However, the principle works! The resultant
holder is noticeably stiffer with enough "spring" to keep it in place
on the shelf without glue dots.

When you score & bend it cold, its springiness wants to open it out again. If you bend it hot that won't happen, and Robert should be your uncle. So you need a hot wire.

NT

Chemicals? Vinegar? Salt solution? Something to spray on the holders
after bending, perhaps? Surely something must exist to make the
plastic more brittle? Obviously the clear transparency of acetate
needs to be preserved as much as possible.

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when
you're in the room where the bookshelves are.
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

Cheers!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
On 6/11/2016 12:55 PM, MM wrote:
I've made bookshelf label holders from thin acetate sheet by cutting
out a 7cm x 5cm piece, then lightly scoring and bending it to fit over
a standard 19mm shelf.

It works okay-ish as a bookshelf label holder, but it's not "springy"
like a real clip would be. Unfortunately, I have ~never~ found
suitable transparent clips/holders, which is why I make my own from
acetate sheet. (Okay, so there are these:

http://www.gresswell.co.uk/clip-on-s...l?gclid=CKa85Y
_tms0CFRG3GwodJfYD9Q
but (a) they're ruddy expensive and (b) they are too wide, meaning I'd
have to cut them into shorter pieces, probably with a fair bit of
wastage.)

Umm.. Double sided carpet tape might be simpler than glue spots.

On the *heat the score* suggestion... many years ago, I purchased a
device for sealing plastic packets. Actually an under powered soldering
iron with a tapered *elephants trunk* bit. Took a bit of practice to get
the contact time right.

I know controlled temperature soldering irons are available and wonder
if a low setting might do a similar job.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 13:53:19 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when
you're in the room where the bookshelves are.
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

A different approach - a brother label machine and 18mm wide sticky
white tape?

No, I don't want the labels/holders to be permanently fixed in one
place.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when
you're in the room where the bookshelves are.
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

A different approach - a brother label machine and 18mm wide sticky
white tape?

No, I don't want the labels/holders to be permanently fixed in one
place.

MM

IME Brother labels can be removed and replaced an infinite number
of times. We use them for labeling items in the freezer and they will
stay on the dish even when it goes through the dishwasher. They then can
be removed and stored on a plastic sheet before being reused. I'm amazed
at the way in which they retain their stick qualities. I don't know any
other label like it. Just don't stick them to cling film, this destroys
the label and the film.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

[...]

Ah, I didn't know that!

Thanks.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf. The glue dots are visible in the pic, but not so much when
you're in the room where the bookshelves are.
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

A different approach - a brother label machine and 18mm wide sticky
white tape?

No, I don't want the labels/holders to be permanently fixed in one
place.

MM

pop into a supermarket and have a look at the way they label items on
their shelves, and then try to obtain the necessary items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

pop into a supermarket and have a look at the way they label items on
their shelves, and then try to obtain the necessary items.

try this
http://www.shopfittingwarehouse.co.u...d-fixings-c290

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

Note that I have 70+ categories, so that's a lot of label holders!

pop into a supermarket and have a look at the way they label items on
their shelves, and then try to obtain the necessary items.

try this
http://www.shopfittingwarehouse.co.u...d-fixings-c290

No, none of those products is in any way what I'm looking for. This is
what I want:
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ac...bel_holder.jpg
but in thicker, springier plastic that clips over the wooden edge
without needing to use glue dots.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2016 12:55, MM wrote:

[...]

I followed your and alan_m's advice and bought a Brother PT-D450VP
from Printer Base for £34.80 including free next-day delivery, and I'm
so glad I did! The labelling machine arrived today in a carrying case
with a 4m sample black-on-white low-tack 18mm specimen tape, power
supply, USB cable and instruction booklet.

I stuck 6 AA batteries in and connected the power supply (Brother
recommends batteries to retain settings even if the power supply is
used). I inserted the tape cassette and switched on. Printing off my
first label was a doddle! And it looks REALLY smart on the edge of the
bookshelf. The 18mm width just looks "right" somehow, since the shelf
thickness is about 19mm.

So many thanks for your suggestions! Oh, and I left my first test
label in place on the bookshelf for a couple of hours, then
test-peeled it off. Came off very smoothly. It even stuck firmly to
another shelf!

I am very pleased with this little printer. Apparently there's
software one can download for Windows 7/8, but I don't yet know what
that will give me that I can't already do. For example, I printed off
a second label, but adjusted the font size to 24pt, as the default
"Auto" size is a bit on the large size and fills the 18mm width. That
worked dead easy, too.

My only gripe is that the text in the instruction booklet is so tiny I
have to use a magnifying glass to read it! Maybe the Brother web site
has the same booklet in PDF format that I can print off. I'll check
later.

So, cheers, everybody. Great help.

Oh, and the icing on the cake: This printer is eligible throughout
June for a £15 cashback direct from Brother, meaning I've only
actually paid £19.80 in total. By the way, this printer was way
cheaper than Amazon, who were asking another £4.15, although also with
free delivery. On the Brother web site this model is retailing for
£107.99 inc VAT.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2016 17:16, MM wrote:

bookshelf. The 18mm width just looks "right" somehow, since the shelf
thickness is about 19mm.

I've found the 'compatible' tapes available on Ebay work perfectly in my
machine and much cheaper than the Brother branded tapes.

Black text on a fluorescent yellow or green background could be an
alternative to your back on white scheme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2016 17:39, alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2016 17:16, MM wrote:

bookshelf. The 18mm width just looks "right" somehow, since the shelf
thickness is about 19mm.

I've found the 'compatible' tapes available on Ebay work perfectly in my
machine and much cheaper than the Brother branded tapes.

Black text on a fluorescent yellow or green background could be an
alternative to your back on white scheme.

I should point out that I tend to stick the labels on and don't remove
them for years so I have no experience of what may be a low-tack option.

On major purchases I stick a label on with the purchase date - sometimes
I see the label and am surprised how long ago I bought it. On items such
as the alarm a label with the date of the battery change is attached.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 12:55:30 UTC+1, MM wrote:
Here is a picture of my holders, one in position on a pseudo
bookshelf.

They aren't transparent, and it will depend on the thickness of your shelves, but I've found a length of PVC mini-trunking clips nicely onto the edge of MFC kitchen units.

You could make something like this
http://www.gresswell.co.uk/plastic-m...l-holders.html
out of laminator pouches with one fold in, they wouldn't have to be springy to grip the shelves.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:39:41 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 14/06/2016 17:16, MM wrote:

bookshelf. The 18mm width just looks "right" somehow, since the shelf
thickness is about 19mm.

I've found the 'compatible' tapes available on Ebay work perfectly in my
machine and much cheaper than the Brother branded tapes.

But are they low tack like the Brother ones?

Black text on a fluorescent yellow or green background could be an
alternative to your back on white scheme.

Well, not on my bookshelves, where I prefer 'sedate' black on white,
but when I read that different colour tapes are available I'm sure
there is plenty of stuff in the garage and around the house that could
be labelled.

Have you had any experience with the Windows 7 application from
Brother? I skimmed the online PDF manual about it and it looks as if
one can bypass the actual labeller and do everything from Windows. But
whether that is an advantage or not, I don't know. And what if Windows
7 is currently not fired up? My labeller would work standalone, even
on batteries.

By the way, I started out on the road to neater labelling 40 years ago
when I bought my first sheets of Letraset! Goodness, how that takes me
back!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 08:09:27 UTC+1, MM wrote:

By the way, I started out on the road to neater labelling 40 years ago
when I bought my first sheets of Letraset! Goodness, how that takes me
back!

MM

Oddly they were still available last time I looked.
White parcel tape works as a dry wipe label, good for nondecorative storage.

NT