Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone got any ideas for stiffening 300 micron acetate sheet?

In message ,
newshound writes
On 6/11/2016 12:55 PM, MM wrote:
I've made bookshelf label holders from thin acetate sheet by cutting
out a 7cm x 5cm piece, then lightly scoring and bending it to fit over
a standard 19mm shelf.

It works okay-ish as a bookshelf label holder, but it's not "springy"
like a real clip would be. Unfortunately, I have ~never~ found
suitable transparent clips/holders, which is why I make my own from
acetate sheet. (Okay, so there are these:

http://www.gresswell.co.uk/clip-on-s...l?gclid=CKa85Y
_tms0CFRG3GwodJfYD9Q
but (a) they're ruddy expensive and (b) they are too wide, meaning I'd
have to cut them into shorter pieces, probably with a fair bit of
wastage.)

Umm.. Double sided carpet tape might be simpler than glue spots.

On the *heat the score* suggestion... many years ago, I purchased a
device for sealing plastic packets. Actually an under powered soldering
iron with a tapered *elephants trunk* bit. Took a bit of practice to get
the contact time right.

I know controlled temperature soldering irons are available and wonder
if a low setting might do a similar job.

--
Tim Lamb