Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Priming Drywall

Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal wall,
I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing compound. It's
only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 10:23, RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal wall,
I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing compound. It's
only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

You don't need to seal it - just an extra coat of emulsion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I could be wrong but I think the main constituent of drywall primers is PVA the one I used certainly smelt like It. You can get smaller tubs of primer for doing coving and is essentially the same stuff.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal wall,
I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing compound. It's
only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

No need to seal PB. It can be painted or papered over directly. It's
normally skimmed to give a perfect surface.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal
wall, I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing
compound. It's only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

If it's just for painting, you don't need any primer, just fill, sand and
paint.

Don't ever stick wallpaper over an unskimmed plasterboard unless you intend
replacing the board next time you strip the paper, the paper of the
plasterboard comes off when it's steamed / soaked

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal
wall, I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing
compound. It's only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

If it's just for painting, you don't need any primer, just fill, sand
and paint.

Don't ever stick wallpaper over an unskimmed plasterboard unless you
intend replacing the board next time you strip the paper, the paper of
the plasterboard comes off when it's steamed / soaked

You just paper over the top of the old. Until you can no longer get in the
room.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2016 17:03, Phil L wrote:
RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal
wall, I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing
compound. It's only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

If it's just for painting, you don't need any primer, just fill, sand and
paint.

Don't ever stick wallpaper over an unskimmed plasterboard unless you intend
replacing the board next time you strip the paper, the paper of the
plasterboard comes off when it's steamed / soaked

If you are using wallpaper, you only need to put on emulsion paine, say
2 coats.My Redriow house built about 20 years ago was decorated with
builders magnolia. I subsequently papered with vinyl paper which was
wasy to strip as once the vinyl layer was pulled off, the thin layer of
paper was easily soaked off with no damage

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2016 13:38, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I could be wrong but I think the main constituent of drywall primers is PVA the one I used certainly smelt like It. You can get smaller tubs of primer for doing coving and is essentially the same stuff.

Richard

Certainly Artex plasterboard sealant is not PVA. It has an organic
solvent and handles very differently. Having left an area of the
bathroom bare for longer than intended, it provided extraordinarily good
protection.

Too damned expensive and only available (so far as I know) in too large
quantities.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
[...]

Yes, I discovered that when trying to strip some wallpaper of
plasterboard. some was painted, some not. The wallpaper over the
emulsion paint came off quite easily.

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2016 07:59, Chris French wrote:
Yes, I discovered that when trying to strip some wallpaper of
plasterboard. some was painted, some not. The wallpaper over the
emulsion paint came off quite easily.

Some years ago we found out that the builder had painted the wall, then
tiled it. We found out when the top row of tiles fell off one day, and
one landed on its corner going through the bottom of the bath. Tiles
don't stick to emulsion either!

Just for once the NHBC guarantee paid for it.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2016 10:23, RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal wall,
I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing compound. It's
only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

Many thanks everyone - I'll try a couple of coats of emulsion. For some
reason the Gyproc compound is taking a while to go off (2 days, and
still not solid) where I'd pushed it into the corner, so it's taking a
little longer than I'd thought . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
Some years ago we found out that the builder had painted the wall, then
tiled it. We found out when the top row of tiles fell off one day, and
one landed on its corner going through the bottom of the bath. Tiles
don't stick to emulsion either!

They do just fine if the emulsion was applied correctly. With a thinned
coat as a primer. And you use a suitable tile adhesive.

Tiling direct to plaster without sealing it first may not give the best
results either.

--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They do just fine if the emulsion was applied correctly. With a thinned
coat as a primer. And you use a suitable tile adhesive.

Tiling direct to plaster without sealing it first may not give the best
results either.

That's a lot of things they have to get right.

When they started lifting again I took the top row off, scored the wall,
then replaced them. They were fine after that.

Andy

Priming/Sealing drywall before wallpapering Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 33 December 6th 11 02:22 AM
Priming my New Drywall [email protected] Home Repair 10 April 6th 07 02:51 AM
? priming drywall mig Home Repair 11 March 3rd 06 02:53 AM
Drywall priming - Oil or Latex mwl Home Repair 11 August 9th 05 04:44 AM
Priming new drywall on skimcoated ceiling/ Which primer should I use????? LarryK Home Repair 5 September 30th 04 12:58 PM