Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Priming Drywall

Malcolm Race Wrote in message:
On 06/06/2016 17:03, Phil L wrote:
RJH wrote:
Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal
wall, I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing
compound. It's only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It
only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

If it's just for painting, you don't need any primer, just fill, sand and
paint.

Don't ever stick wallpaper over an unskimmed plasterboard unless you intend
replacing the board next time you strip the paper, the paper of the
plasterboard comes off when it's steamed / soaked

If you are using wallpaper, you only need to put on emulsion paine, say
2 coats.My Redriow house built about 20 years ago was decorated with
builders magnolia. I subsequently papered with vinyl paper which was
wasy to strip as once the vinyl layer was pulled off, the thin layer of
paper was easily soaked off with no damage

Yes, I discovered that when trying to strip some wallpaper of
plasterboard. some was painted, some not. The wallpaper over the
emulsion paint came off quite easily.

Chris French