LarryK

Default Priming new drywall on skimcoated ceiling/ Which primer should I use?????

Hello,
I live in a modern apartment building with a concrete slab for a
ceiling (of course). I stripped off all of the "popcorn" texture (just
add water, it falls off) that was on the ceiling and painted the slab
with WeldCrete. I then laboriously applied four coats of joint
compound (7 buckets total), smoothing with a knife after every coat
and doing some sanding near the end of the process. This was torturous
work and I don't want to repeat it.

Now, I am ready to paint my ceiling. What should I use as a primer?
It seems like there are two schools of thought regarding primer. Some
people claim that oil based primers give a better surface while other
people say PVA is good. What do people think? I don't want to mess up
this ceiling after working so hard on it. I certainly don't want some
watery primer to loosen my ceiling and cause it to fall...

What do people think? It would be great if people could list some
brand names they've used. I get confused with the number of different
brands.

Regards,

Larry
Joe Bobst

Now, I am ready to paint my ceiling. What should I use as a primer?

Check the primers at your box store drywall department. There is at least one
product IIRC made by USG called "First Coat" that should be just what you need.
As always, read the labels and follow directions and good luck,

Joe

Roger

"LarryK" wrote in message
m...

Now, I am ready to paint my ceiling. What should I use as a primer?
It seems like there are two schools of thought regarding primer. Some
people claim that oil based primers give a better surface while other
people say PVA is good. What do people think? I don't want to mess up
this ceiling after working so hard on it. I certainly don't want some
watery primer to loosen my ceiling and cause it to fall...

What do people think? It would be great if people could list some
brand names they've used. I get confused with the number of different
brands.

I would think any quality primer should work, acrylic or alkyd. The alcohol
based Zinsser has an advantage of drying in less than an hour, but I doubt
whether it makes any difference what primer you use, as long as you read
labels. There is also a first-coat primer especially for joint compound
sealing. That is sometimes put on, followed by an undercoat (levelling
paint) , if you want a really smoothe surface. Also, ask a real paint
professional - in a paint store you trust, to confirm your final decision..

Will Niccolls

"LarryK"

What do people think? It would be great if people could list some
brand names they've used. I get confused with the number of different
brands.

I second the recommendation for USG primer. See if you can find a drywall
supply shop, they usually carry it.

On the house I recently gutted and rebuilt, I used it on the new sheetrock,
and it is better than any other I've ever used. My first coat of mid grade
Duron paint went on like butter; in one coat it covered evenly and looked
great.

Its about $35 for a 5 gallon bucket, more expensive than other primers, but
I think it was well worth it. If you use a sprayer, the recommended tip is
different than for wall paint, I think the primer is thicker and goopier....

Will Niccolls

LarryK

"Will Niccolls" wrote in message ...
"LarryK"

What do people think? It would be great if people could list some
brand names they've used. I get confused with the number of different
brands.

I second the recommendation for USG primer. See if you can find a drywall
supply shop, they usually carry it.

On the house I recently gutted and rebuilt, I used it on the new sheetrock,
and it is better than any other I've ever used. My first coat of mid grade
Duron paint went on like butter; in one coat it covered evenly and looked
great.

Its about $35 for a 5 gallon bucket, more expensive than other primers, but
I think it was well worth it. If you use a sprayer, the recommended tip is
different than for wall paint, I think the primer is thicker and goopier....

Will Niccolls

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Keep them coming! What do
people think about Zinsser's Gardz product? They specifically mention
joint compound skim coats he

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=27

Would this help keep my ceiling from cracking in the future? I'm
hoping I don't get any cracking with this joint compound skim coat
over concrete.

I would like a really smooth surface, if possible, so maybe I should
use the First Coat from USG,a leveling paint (which one??), and then
my Benjamin Moore Atrium White. I want a matte finish to hide as many
imperfections as possible. I'm wondering how the leveling paint
undercoat will improve the surface?

Larry