Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Priming my New Drywall

Now that my basement drywall is all mudded & sanded, I need to prime
it and would like some advice.

I have one of those smaller 2200psi airless sprayers (borrowed from a
friend) that has the hose to stick in the paint can. I'm going to try
that hoping it works OK for me.

I have no worries with overspray in my basement, except for the
multitude of outlets and light switches I have in my walls. Any
advice on a quick and easy way to protect them from the paint
sprayer? I obviously don't want to get paint inside my boxes if I
don't have to.

Also, what is a good, sprayable primer to use on my new drywall?
Should I use latex, water, or oil based? Should I need to thin it?
Should I expect to need more than one coat? I plan on painting with a
relatively light colored latex after priming is complete.

I'm estimating I'll need about 6 gallons of primer for the first
coat...maybe more if this sprayer puts it on heavy or not.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 9:38 am, " wrote:
[...]

I like working with Sherwin Williams products. I believe latex *is*
water based. How many coats depends on how good You and the sprayer
are together. If the fan shaped spray leaves lines at the outside edge
the tip may be worn, always keep the gun moving when spraying,start
with fast movement and gradually find the proper speed..Thinning
depends on how thick/thin the paint is to begin with and the spray
rigs' ability to draw it from the bucket/can.
I've heard Painters use the term "dusting" many times referring to a
very light primer coat,,personally I like primer coverage that
prevents the color coat from soaking into the wall..The primer can be
tinted the same as color coat or to a varying degree but that does'nt
help to get an even sheen when using any paint with a gloss level.
Have plenty of warm water to flush the sprayer completely till no
paint is left in the rig at all..If spraying is stopped before
complete drop the gun into water to keep the tip wet for short periods
while You attend to the problem.
Have plenty of light and someone to keep it at an angle to the area
You're working on..Check/clean the filters in the rig and gun
before,during if needed and after just for good measure..Lastly have
one more helper there with a roller to backroll if there are problems
with the sprayer but You still want to make good time.
Sorry if I gave a long reply,,I'm sure there's alot more tricks n
tips out there too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

2" masking tape should suffice to protect your switch boxes and outlets.
The paint won't do any harm to the wires and hopefully you have made all of
your splices so you won't need to figure anything out later when you install
devices.

One suggestion I can make about airless spraying is to strain your paint.
I've seen many guys have to stop what they are doing to clean out the nozzle
or hose. That cuts into your time considerably. I was on a job recently
and the painter's helper was spraying primer with a brand new airless. I go
out to my truck for some materials and come back a few minutes later and the
guy is complaining about the clogged gun. I asked him if strained the
paint. He said no, but he stirred it really well. He wound up finishing
with a roller while his boss cleaned the airless. I think that you can buy
strainers at a paint store, but if not some folded layers of cheese cloth
will work.

Many years ago a painter recommended Muralo latex primer to me for new
unfinished walls. It did a great job of sealing with one coat. It is thin
enough to use in an airless.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

| " wrote in message
| oups.com...
| Now that my basement drywall is all mudded & sanded, I need to prime
| it and would like some advice.

use bare drywall primer
I prefer Ben Moore acrylic latex for walls, oil primer for wood.

| I have one of those smaller 2200psi airless sprayers (borrowed from
| friend) that has the hose to stick in the paint can. I'm going to
try
| that hoping it works OK for me.
|
| I have no worries with overspray in my basement, except for the
| multitude of outlets and light switches I have in my walls. Any
| advice on a quick and easy way to protect them from the paint
| sprayer? I obviously don't want to get paint inside my boxes if I
| don't have to.
|
| Also, what is a good, sprayable primer to use on my new drywall?
| Should I use latex, water, or oil based? Should I need to thin it?
| Should I expect to need more than one coat? I plan on painting with
| relatively light colored latex after priming is complete.
|
| I'm estimating I'll need about 6 gallons of primer for the first
| coat...maybe more if this sprayer puts it on heavy or not.

6 gal. will cover aprox. 2000 sq. ft. sprayed on
or 3000 sq. ft. rolled on.

| Thanks for any feedback.
|
| Kevin
|

| 2" masking tape should suffice to protect your switch boxes and
outlets.
| The paint won't do any harm to the wires and hopefully you have made
all of
| your splices so you won't need to figure anything out later when you
install
| devices.
|
| One suggestion I can make about airless spraying is to strain your
paint.
| I've seen many guys have to stop what they are doing to clean out the
nozzle
| or hose. That cuts into your time considerably. I was on a job
recently
| and the painter's helper was spraying primer with a brand new airless.
I go
| out to my truck for some materials and come back a few minutes later
and the
| guy is complaining about the clogged gun. I asked him if strained the
| paint. He said no, but he stirred it really well. He wound up
finishing
| with a roller while his boss cleaned the airless. I think that you can
buy
| strainers at a paint store, but if not some folded layers of cheese
cloth
| will work.
|
| Many years ago a painter recommended Muralo latex primer to me for new
| unfinished walls. It did a great job of sealing with one coat. It is
thin
| enough to use in an airless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ended up getting Olympic PVA Primer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../05&lpage=none

What does PVA stand for?

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I ended up getting Olympic PVA Primer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../05&lpage=none

What does PVA stand for?

Polyvinyl alcohol?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_alcohol

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks.

Anybody have any other ideas for covering up my outlets while I spray
other than tape?

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks.

Anybody have any other ideas for covering up my outlets while I spray
other than tape?

There is at least one company that makes reusable outlet and switch box
covers for this purpose. I don't recall the name, but I would try calling
some electrical supply companies. I guess you could cut out your own
cardboard covers and screw them to the boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Apr 2007 03:54:52 -0700, "
wrote:

Thanks.

Anybody have any other ideas for covering up my outlets while I spray
other than tape?

How about covering the wall plates with wallpaper and putting them
back on before painting. Remove that afterward and have clean
paint-free outlets.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

House painting\priming MH Home Repair 6 July 10th 06 02:06 PM
? priming drywall mig Home Repair 11 March 3rd 06 02:53 AM
Drywall priming - Oil or Latex mwl Home Repair 11 August 9th 05 04:44 AM
Priming new drywall on skimcoated ceiling/ Which primer should I use????? LarryK Home Ownership 4 September 30th 04 12:58 PM
Priming new drywall on skimcoated ceiling/ Which primer should I use????? LarryK Home Repair 5 September 30th 04 12:58 PM