Posted to alt.home.repair
MH MH is offline

Default House painting\priming

My house needs painting and I am being told that I need 2 coats of paint
without priming. The walls are in OK condition, 25 years old that were
initially primed and painted twice over the years with Benjamin Moore Satin
impervo. He will use the same paint again. I have peeling around AC ducts on
the ceiling. Do I need to insist on priming again? Looking forward to all of
your opinions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MH wrote:
My house needs painting and I am being told that I need 2 coats of paint
without priming. The walls are in OK condition, 25 years old that were
initially primed and painted twice over the years with Benjamin Moore Satin
impervo. He will use the same paint again. I have peeling around AC ducts on
the ceiling. Do I need to insist on priming again? Looking forward to all of
your opinions.

Peeling at A/C grills is probably due to seating of uninsulated duct or
boot.
Have those areas insulated * carefully * .
If you have no bear spots, and are using the same paint, prime coat is
probably not needed.
Two coats may be for coverage if you are changing color.
Paint formulas change over time, so the quality of the paint may have
changed since you last used it.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you sure Ben Moore Satin Impervo Oil was used on the walls, it is
the best most expensive satin finish oil trim paint made. If it was you
must wash and sand the walls, but its maybe 35-40+$ a gallon. Why 2
coats, are you rich, is the color change that much, is your painter
crappy, or are you just a sucker. Satin Impervo will stink and likely
make you sick for weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MH MH is offline

Yes it was satin impervo and it washes like a dream. The question is should
I prime and put one coat or just 2 coats which he suggests.
"m Ransley" wrote in message
Are you sure Ben Moore Satin Impervo Oil was used on the walls, it is
the best most expensive satin finish oil trim paint made. If it was you
must wash and sand the walls, but its maybe 35-40+$ a gallon. Why 2
coats, are you rich, is the color change that much, is your painter
crappy, or are you just a sucker. Satin Impervo will stink and likely
make you sick for weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wash it good, sand it good , paint one coat if color is similar. That is
very good paint, no need to go to the extra expense of 2 coats or a
primer unless your color change is so dramatic it just does not cover.
Penetrol as thinner will help it flow out better. That is going to stink
for a long time-weeks, move out for a few days..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Primer is important for new walls or repaired areas. It is not needed
on walls that have already been painted. Read the paint can label and
follow the instructions.

q. about bridge-type loan to finance house purchase [email protected] UK diy 3 June 12th 06 12:30 PM
House sale lynd UK diy 14 March 11th 06 06:40 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM